RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
FPV First Person View RC flying.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
rbwater
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4
Video Goggles Question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Greetings,

I know some of you fpv'ers use video goggles as part of your fpv set ups. I want to try to use them for a different purpose (creating a virtual reality cycling experience) and wondered if someone could give me a bit of info. about them.

1. Does anyone know of a place in the GTA that sells them where I could try a set before buying? I have been Googling but so far can only find online thru' e-bay, etc.

2. Has anyone used them to view video from a computer or other video source (e.g. DVD player)? Is the experience anything like the ads claim (i.e. watching a 50" to 80" TV set up 2.5 to 3.0 metres away)?

3. What is the quality of the output like? I see varying prices for different resolutions all the way up to HD thru' an HDMI connection. Are those with the lower price/resolution viable?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

RB
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Video Goggles Question

I use a pair of original Fatshark goggles. I HAVE used them hooked up to a TV, a computer and lately, to a portable video player that I use on an transatlantic flights when the in-flight entertainment system does not have anything that interest me.
These fatsharks work great, but they are not perfect. "They work great" is subjective, and what I think might be great might suck for others. One of the flaws on the original fatsharks is the picture is not 100% in each eye. The picture from each eye is slightly distorted in the peripheral of one lens, but is made up for by the lens on the other eye and vice-versa. Some people might hate this. I dont mind it.

A friend has the Fatshark dominators. The picture seems to be sharper, and no distortion is seen on the periphery of the image, but the image seems "further" away and is not as immersive.

I noticed that ready-Made is now touting itself as the exclusive distributor of the zeiss "cinemizer" goggles. I looked into these goggles and they seem to be the next generation goggles- High def, HDMI, built in diopter adjustment. But pricey! $789 with a sale this week bringing them down to $699.
Still a lot of dough, but I would love to try them!
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1139

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

there are two basic categories of video goggles. 'VGA resolution analog' and 'HD digital'

For FPV, we are forced to use the VGA analog goggles, since our video cams and transmitters are limited to 640x40 analog signal only.

That is low resolution television, like you might remember in the 1980s broadcast TV. That is horrible by today's standards!

All the modern television is available in HD, digital signal. 720p, 1080p (now going up to 4k-res, i guess). Video games, GoPro videos all of that are digital HD. You want digital HD for any virtual reality, I would insist.

There are a lot of manufacturers of digital HD goggles out there now, not only the Zeiss brand. Some day we FPVers will be flying in digital HD, but not today. We can hook up our crappy analog into Zeiss goggles, but the image is as bad as the garbage we put into the video transmitter - 640x480 low res. Most digital HD goggles have no option for plugging in an analog signal, they only accept HDMI digital.

If you can live with the low quality analog video, then the best current range of FPV goggles are as follows: Fatshark Dominator and Attitude. Boscam AIO. Headplay 800x600. The base Zeiss Cinemizers if you can find them (used to be like $300, I think discontinued?). Fatshark has a new DominatorHD coming out - it is not actually HD only 800x600, but it promises to be very good, maybe as good as the $700 cinemizers when doing FPV.

You will not find these in the local stores. Rare items.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 11-26-2013 at 10:39 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
rbwater
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

Max and Scott,

Many thanks for your detailed responses. Just what I was hoping for.

I noticed that a company called Vuzix (www.vuzix.com) has recently released an HD version (Wrap 1200DX) for US$500. Still quite a chunk of change! They are in Rochester, NY so I think I will contact them & see if there is anyway to test a pair.

Cheers,

RB
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I am looking forward to the day when we can use Oculus Rift goggles for FPV!!

We'll probably all have poses like this when we are flying

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in