evolution 58 Gx - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
September Fury
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
evolution 58 Gx

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Being new #2 the gas engine i purchased the evolution 58Gx and was looking for info on proper set up of electronic choke using the ignition unit to do so.Reason asking these ignition units are priced 257.00 so definatly want to get it right the first time.
September Fury is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
iwannaknow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Nick

Total Props: 1
Talking Re: evolution 58 Gx

i have one of these and it is a powerhouse. read and memorize the instructions that came with it for choke setup. Once you've started you don't have a long time to finish or it will timeout and you'll have to start over.

Follow the manual to the letter (if you wish i have a copy i can email to you).

basically as i recall, you connect the choke servo to the ignition, you connect the ignition to your throttle channel on the reciever (you read that right), you connect the led to the ignition and then you power everything up. Using your transmitter throttle control, the choke servo will respond to the throttle stick command. You will position the choke servo for fully closed, fully open and once again for fully closed (the manual describes the timing you MUST follow). You shut it all off, disconnect the throttle channel from the ignition. Now you're ready to rock. When you turn on your ignition, the choke will go almost completely closed, then open and close as you flip the prop (as it sees necessary 4 flips at a time) until the engine starts.
If while running the engine starts dying, the choke automatically starts closing to keep it running.

...sweet
iwannaknow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
September Fury
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Re: evolution 58 Gx

Thank you very much for this info.It will help make life a little easier.Was wondering if you are using a 6.0 volt battery or a 7.2 for the electronics.
September Fury is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
iwannaknow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Nick

Total Props: 1
Smile Re: evolution 58 Gx

mine is setup with a 4.8 volt battery. the battery is not in great shape so i'm switching to A123 1100mah with a regulator to 5 volts. (i like not having to charge just before i go flying)
iwannaknow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Kargon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 41

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...GX2_manual.pdf

The manual shows the ignition that you have and how to set it up, you have to use 7.2V or 8.4V
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

The 58 GX runs on a different ignition than the 58 GX2. The 58 GX has magnets that are 180 degrees apart on the prop hub. This requires the standard Vlach ignition. The GX2 has magnets that are spaced 120 degrees apart.They run the earlier L version ignition with the option of using the choke servo but the newer S version removed the choke servo as it was an arduous addition. The S and L version ignitions cease to operate at 6.5 volts or less. You have to run a 2 cell Li-Po or equivalent. The P version requires a 3 cell Li-Po.

If it is a 58GX you can buy a new prop hub (GX2) version and run the newer ignitions or redrill your prop hub or........do yourself a favor and just convert it to an RCXel ignition.
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in