modelman992005
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Peter W
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 1
Re: FEJ Hawk crash

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok let's do something constructive on this thread. I am a little upset at myself about buying an FEJ Hawk. But I am not the only one . There has been many who got the bug when some key people told us that the company had turned a leaf and now are producing good planes with good product support. Lesson learned Don't believe everything on the net!!!!! however instead of bashing the company ... Let's take apart the stab and fix it so anyone who has one of these jets might consider fixing and and flying it . After all the airplane is not all bad ,I think the big issues are the stab and the servo mount for the stab. Trevor and I will document the repair of my stab and we will test it to make sure it is strong enough to fly many flights.
modelman992005 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman992005 View Post
Ok let's do something constructive on this thread. I am a little upset at myself about buying an FEJ Hawk. But I am not the only one . There has been many who got the bug when some key people told us that the company had turned a leaf and now are producing good planes with good product support. Lesson learned Don't believe everything on the net!!!!! however instead of bashing the company ... Let's take apart the stab and fix it so anyone who has one of these jets might consider fixing and and flying it . After all the airplane is not all bad ,I think the big issues are the stab and the servo mount for the stab. Trevor and I will document the repair of my stab and we will test it to make sure it is strong enough to fly many flights.
Peter anything maybe in a custom aluminum set-up let me know I may be able to help
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
modelman992005
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Thanks Brad. dangerous for me to know what you do . I may have hundreds of little projects for you !!!!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
zdsh13
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: ***

Total Props: 6

Wrong thread..

Last edited by zdsh13; 09-22-2013 at 12:58 AM.
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
RC_MAN
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

I have one of these. Love the looks of the plane. Like you I put it on hold untill I can devote more time to it. Looking forward to your ideas.

I noticed three other areas that concern me.

There is minimal reinforcement there the wing tube meets the fuselage. I noticed on the kit they had in Detroit that there was substantial carbon fiber reinforcing.

Also make sure the tube is reinforced internally where it meets the fuselage.

Also look at the wing spar. My has only the honeycomb material. I'm really not sure it it's up to the task.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Gsxr
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mike M

Total Props: 0

Same thing happened to mine on Wednesday of last week I am livid. FEJ tells me it's my fault WTF. There were 6 witnesses that saw the elevators seperate from the airplane and I lost everything 8G's down the drain and a brand new engine in it first flight with it. It's funny I even did their mods that they recommended. Do'nt buy anything from them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130919_162713[1].jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	215400  
DLE Engines
Gsxr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

bummer video doesn't work
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
excelsiuss
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M
Radio of choice:
JR12X
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxr View Post
Same thing happened to mine on Wednesday of last week I am livid. FEJ tells me it's my fault WTF. There were 6 witnesses that saw the elevators seperate from the airplane and I lost everything 8G's down the drain and a brand new engine in it first flight with it. It's funny I even did their mods that they recommended. Do'nt buy anything from them
That's a crying shame Mike. At the very least you hope that your engine survives. What a loss.

I have read so many post about FEJs falling apart, its a mystery why they are allowed in the country at all.

Peter

Last edited by excelsiuss; 09-22-2013 at 02:00 PM.
excelsiuss is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
maddog
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad M

Total Props: 8

It would seem that the FEJ stab construction is not limited to just the Hawk but also their F-14. The spars are also made from honeycomb similar the Hawk. Here are pictures of the stab from a $6200.00 jet. (FEJ F-14 1/7.5). You will bet that I will be rebuilding the stabs. As a scratch builder for many years I have the tools and able to do so but many do not. I find this frustrating but a necessary repair as it would be easier to build now and not after a crash. I like to build to the point where I am happy with the build and feel comfortable flying it. I feel all "ARF" should be built as a kit not an ARF to the point where we are comfortable flying it. I agree with Peter that we should be constructive and share knowledge to help each other build better models. I also believe this is not just limited to just FEJ. I feel sorry for Peter's loss and fortunately that no one was hurt. Brad "Maddog" Metcalf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0047.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	752.7 KB
ID:	215421   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0048.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	908.1 KB
ID:	215422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0049.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	215423  
maddog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
modelman992005
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Absolutely Brad . I am going to take the stab out and peel the skin back. I am a little shy for time so Trevor and I will discuss the repair , he will document it and then I will repaint it. I will also look into the wings and the reinforcement for the wing tube. Thanks guys a great step in the right direction!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in