graupner/sj mz-24 2.4ghz hott 12 channel system - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #51
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163
Re: graupner/sj mz-24 2.4ghz hott 12 channel system

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
+1 Cool! they all work don' they!

Mike

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #52
Boatcrazy
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Derick

Total Props: 8

davidmc36:

What was the reason you choose the MX-20 over the MZ 24?
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #53
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatcrazy View Post
davidmc36:

What was the reason you choose the MX-20 over the MZ 24?
MC-20 actually has several programming abilities that the MZ-24 does not. I had been doing a lot of studying of manuals, from every brand, and then somebody offered me their 'spare' MC-20, that was before Open Hobby opened up. He had got it from overseas.

I always wanted to try a tray radio also.

Since then I have purchased the MX-20 which is pretty much identical to the MC-20 in the programming department, only missing the multichannel menu, and once I decide which format I like better I will get and MC-32 or the MX-32 that should be out this summer.

Overall I was not too fussy about the touch-screen either.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #54
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCub View Post
... but number of data packets missed, mah of battery consumed or cpu temperature? No......Xbus can handle all the telemetry without any other boards easier......

And FYI this FRSky you say is ahead... look at there radio, does it remind you of anything......
Packets, mah, cpu temperature? There are actually parallels to all of them in a modern A/C. EICAS will give you warnings when there are losses of data on ARINC busses, that way they know there may be reason not to use the data and go to a back-up system. Fuel consumed on your Fuel Flow Gauge or FMS lets you know how much flight time you have left. Most of the electronic boxes that control everything from door warnings to pressurization scheduling give out a warning if there is an over-temp in the box.

Telemetry on a Xbus arrangement certainly does make the most sense. The Rx automatically detects what sensors are connected and trips the Tx to display them.

Yes it is obvious that the shell for the Taranis is a JR. Just like the DX7 was. Did they buy or copy, I have no idea. That just supports my statement that they are behind the curve in the hardware department. Not total junk but not the solid feel of today's hardware like the nicely dampened, solid feeling rotary dials on my MX-20 or the metal gimbals coming out on the MC-20.

What I did say is that they are ahead of everybody else in the programming flexibility, light years in fact. There are many things that can be done in OpenTX that no other radio on the market can even come close to.

I would love to have a DX9 type piece of hardware with the brains of a Taranis. DX9 is one of the most solid pieces of hardware I have ever owned. Overall the DX9 would score higher hardware points than either of my Graupners.
Weather Station
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #55
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Packets, mah, cpu temperature? There are actually parallels to all of them in a modern A/C. EICAS will give you warnings when there are losses of data on ARINC busses, that way they know there may be reason not to use the data and go to a back-up system. Fuel consumed on your Fuel Flow Gauge or FMS lets you know how much flight time you have left. Most of the electronic boxes that control everything from door warnings to pressurization scheduling give out a warning if there is an over-temp in the box.

Telemetry on a Xbus arrangement certainly does make the most sense. The Rx automatically detects what sensors are connected and trips the Tx to display them.

Yes it is obvious that the shell for the Taranis is a JR. Just like the DX7 was. Did they buy or copy, I have no idea. That just supports my statement that they are behind the curve in the hardware department. Not total junk but not the solid feel of today's hardware like the nicely dampened, solid feeling rotary dials on my MX-20 or the metal gimbals coming out on the MC-20.

What I did say is that they are ahead of everybody else in the programming flexibility, light years in fact. There are many things that can be done in OpenTX that no other radio on the market can even come close to.

I would love to have a DX9 type piece of hardware with the brains of a Taranis. DX9 is one of the most solid pieces of hardware I have ever owned. Overall the DX9 would score higher hardware points than either of my Graupners.
Agreed, they tip you off to problems that are relevant. Irrelevant info is not. However what we both find relevant is very different.

David please give me one example. Just one example of something that a Taranis can do that no one else can. I have said many times over show me something in the programming that only it can do and no one can seem to show me. Everyone claims they can do so much but never can show me? One person tried but he needed a PC and about 4 pages to explain how to do it and I was still able to with my xg11 in about 5min. I have never found something I could not replicate with traditional architecture. I have even downloaded the software and fooled around with it. Again nothing there I cannot replicate.

Look at the internals of a dx9. They are all plastic gimbals. Compare that to the internals of an xg14. The CNC alumnum gimbals mounted directly to the frame. Which one is more solid?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	908
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	284241   Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	284249  
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #56
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Agreed, they tip you off to problems that are relevant. Irrelevant info is not. However what we both find relevant is very different.

David please give me one example. Just one example of something that a Taranis can do that no one else can. I have said many times over show me something in the programming that only it can do and no one can seem to show me. Everyone claims they can do so much but never can show me? One person tried but he needed a PC and about 4 pages to explain how to do it and I was still able to with my xg11 in about 5min. I have never found something I could not replicate with traditional architecture. I have even downloaded the software and fooled around with it. Again nothing there I cannot replicate.

Look at the internals of a dx9. They are all plastic gimbals. Compare that to the internals of an xg14. The CNC alumnum gimbals mounted directly to the frame. Which one is more solid?
And all you have to do it choose to not alert on the irrelevant info.

I never had a XG14. Was not trying to say the DX9 was better than XG14. Was saying the DX9 was much better hardware than the Taranis and probably the best hardware I have ever owned. If I really cared what hardware was the absolute best I would not have bought the Graupner. To be truthful I can't really feel any noticeable difference in the sticks of the Taranis and the sticks of my other radios. I'm sure 95% of people can't nor do they care.

You cannot replicate what can be done with cascading of logic switches combined with control activated software switches in a Taranis with any other radio. I am actually working on a sequence right now and trying to do it with the logic switches and control software switches in the Graupner and believe I have come up against a wall. The MC-20 is limited in that ability compared to the Taranis. Iv'e not tried it on the FrSky but am confident that it will be doable with sticky logical switches that are coming in the next firmware release, if it cannot be done already.

Do this: Flaps and Gear down for landing. Flip a switch to arm Go-Around. (Flaps and Gear operate normally with their own switches and combinations of switches when Go-Around is not active) When you hit full throttle, or any point of travel you desire to program, flaps and gear automatically go up, at any speed you choose, which is different than the regular speed you have programmed into your flaps. Gear speed does not really matter for the type of gear I am using in this plane, but it could with servo operated gear.

Now the tricky part: The gear and flaps will not go back down again until you reach a certain throttle setting that is much lower than the point that activated them up.

I have the first part no problem but the second part has eluded me on Graupner. It will elude you also. I'm not sure you can do the first part. Remember all the details/speeds etc.

If you think there is nothing there you cannot replicate then you don't really understand the 'software'
Weather Station
Old 04-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #57
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
12x

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
And all you have to do it choose to not alert on the irrelevant info.

I never had a XG14. Was not trying to say the DX9 was better than XG14. Was saying the DX9 was much better hardware than the Taranis and probably the best hardware I have ever owned. If I really cared what hardware was the absolute best I would not have bought the Graupner. To be truthful I can't really feel any noticeable difference in the sticks of the Taranis and the sticks of my other radios. I'm sure 95% of people can't nor do they care.

You cannot replicate what can be done with cascading of logic switches combined with control activated software switches in a Taranis with any other radio. I am actually working on a sequence right now and trying to do it with the logic switches and control software switches in the Graupner and believe I have come up against a wall. The MC-20 is limited in that ability compared to the Taranis. Iv'e not tried it on the FrSky but am confident that it will be doable with sticky logical switches that are coming in the next firmware release, if it cannot be done already.

Do this: Flaps and Gear down for landing. Flip a switch to arm Go-Around. (Flaps and Gear operate normally with their own switches and combinations of switches when Go-Around is not active) When you hit full throttle, or any point of travel you desire to program, flaps and gear automatically go up, at any speed you choose, which is different than the regular speed you have programmed into your flaps. Gear speed does not really matter for the type of gear I am using in this plane, but it could with servo operated gear.

Now the tricky part: The gear and flaps will not go back down again until you reach a certain throttle setting that is much lower than the point that activated them up.

I have the first part no problem but the second part has eluded me on Graupner. It will elude you also. I'm not sure you can do the first part. Remember all the details/speeds etc.

If you think there is nothing there you cannot replicate then you don't really understand the 'software'
I was doing that with a futaba 12z radio 8 years ago. Its called hysteresis. It allows the use of different logic entering or exiting a flight mode. You have your landing flight mode but that is superseded by the go around mode based of a logic switch set to the throttle. The hysteresis allows different activation points when entering or exiting the switch. I can do that on a hitec aurora 9 and a futaba 8.

For example the method on an xg11 is as follows. Go to the stick position switches you select in system menu. You can assign an entry and exit position for both direction of stick travel. This becomes your first virtual switch. This switch can then control the 8 flight modes. You can then assign your landing and go around flight modes and even set a delay in how long you want to wait before the change happens in case you bump the stick. By assigning my throttle correctly as a virtual switch and defining the enter and exit point then correlating them to flight modes. Also to do the different gear speeds you would assign your speed settings for each servo in the flight mode settings. You meanwhile could have independent control of each d/r in each flight mode if needed. I just did it now to ensure I was correct and it took me 3 minutes to program this on my xg8 and 2 min on my xg11 once I figured it out.

If you would like I can try to help you get your working as well.

I'm not trying to be a pain and rain on this thread I am really not. But when I keep hearing oh this radio does so many things no other radio can I cannot keep quiet. I have yet to find an example that cannot be done on any modern radio if you understand your radios programming and do it. If you get stuck in your programming I would be happy to help. most peoples radios are far more powerful then they realize.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #58
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

I guess no one is going to answer my question, If you open up the JR radio to change switches does this void warranty ?
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #59
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
12x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
I guess no one is going to answer my question, If you open up the JR radio to change switches does this void warranty ?
I am soori I missed that I will look into it for you. I know the 28x will for sure have 100% switch relocation but the new XG line I have to find out. I believe you can but i never have?

I will let you know when I know!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #60
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Quote:
I am soori I missed that I will look into it for you. I know the 28x will for sure have 100% switch relocation but the new XG line I have to find out. I believe you can but i never have?

I will let you know when I know!
Thanks sir
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in