Area51 Heli Club – Or true story about how business run the club - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
sd00056
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: D

Total Props: 0
Exclamation Area51 Heli Club – Or true story about how business run the club

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Foreword: This post is about club problems not about heli manufactures. So if you see any heli manufacture name here, please do not start “heli wars”.

I am a member of Area51 Heli Club in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I would like to tell true story about our club, and what happens when club and field owned by business.

Area51 club and club field was sanctioned by MAAC. In reality, club members are not making any decisions there. All decisions come from Leon Luke (Team Align Pilot) and Mike McGrath. They own AlignRCCnd.com (previously Fligthpower.ca) company and they are Canadian distributors of Align products. Here is the good example how they run the club:

We had a “club meeting” (the only club meeting Area51 ever had) last winter during indoor flying. We had to choose executives. When we done that, Mike McGrath told to everyone: “It does not matter who is the president of the club. I hope you understand that I have the lease for the club field and you will do what I say.” Many Area51 members can confirm that (if they do not afraid to be kicked from the club).

Mike and Leon are very sensitive about what people are telling about products they sell (Align). They scan forums and trying to force people to delete any complains about Align. I made a following post:

See attachment:

That what Mike wrote me after that: “I think Mikado Heli looks like an egg (he wrote that because I fly Logos), reminds me of my shuttle z should I go tell the world this too, or is silence golden. Your attitude is yours to have but my field is mine also because I pay for all of it...lol”. I want to clarify that Area51 members are paying membership fees. After that, he told me that I can’t fly at the club field and that I should find other place to fly. Actually, I am glad, because I will not be his slave any more.

For a long time I have been flying RJX helis then Logos, Protos (and Align too). Leon and Mike did not like that. Because when new pilots come to the field and see how I fly these helis, they want to buy them too. However, Leon and Mike behind my back was telling them not to buy these helis, because nobody going to help them with setup, tuning, etc. (what is not true), because all people are flying Align here. Few new comers told me about that. Many club members could confirm how bad is Mike’s and Leon’s attitude to non Align helis at the field.

Some history about Leon Luke and Mike McGrath:

These two persons were booted from their club ERCHA few years ago. There were few reasons for that:

1) They were trying to run the club and turn it into “Align club”. This means that they wanted to kick all other sponsors from ERCHA website who pay not enough money (as they thought), because Leon and Mike pay more. Moreover, they did not want to see any complains about Align products at ERCHA website.

2) They were extremely rude to other ERCHA club members, especially Mike McGrath. This person forced many people to quit ERCHA. He doesn’t have any respect to other people. I think people who know him could confirm that.

I was new member of ERCHA club when Leon and Mike were booted from the club. Too bad, I did not know Leon & Mike well enough, that why I was against that. With time, I understood that ERCHA made a right decision.

After Mike McGrath had been kicked from the club, he leased the field, which ERCHA wanted to lease. The problem was that old ERCHA sanctioned field (City of Edmonton property) was too close and it was not possible get sanction for the new field. To solve that problem Leon Luke has complained to City of Edmonton about ERCHA field safety, he has send videos of 90 size helicopter crashes to them (Leon told me about that himself). As a result, ERCHA lost permission to fly at that field, and now City of Edmonton does not give such permissions to any of the clubs. The club field has to be private field now. This was huge damage to local RC community…

When Mike and Leon send application to MAAC to sanction the new field, somebody counterfeits my signature (formally, I was Area51 treasurer, even considering that I did not do anything). I did not sign that document. This is criminal case, and MAAC has a proof (my fake signature).

Leon and Mike tried to lease new field even when they were members of ERCHA. I asked Leon: “Why do you need that?” Leon: “In that case we will be able to control ERCHA. If ERCHA do something what we don’t like, we kicked them from the field”. Some ERCHA members could confirm this too.

Why I wrote that:

1) Please make sure that business does not run your club. Otherwise, club member will suffer at some point. It is much better to pay high fees than have such troubles.
2) I think MAAC (or AMA in the US) must make sure that clubs are following the rules. Otherwise, clubs have to lose sanctions.
3) I think that Align Corp should review their distribution network in Canada. Many local pilots know that Leon & Mike did a big damage to local heli community; therefore, they do not want to buy Align helicopters.

P.S. I wrote here only what I know myself, no speculations here (I am Area51 member, so I know a lot). I can prove most of the staff I wrote here. In addition, I am sure that many local pilots can confirm that I wrote true story about Area51 club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	72176  

Last edited by sd00056; 03-11-2010 at 09:57 AM.
sd00056 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Area51 Heli Club – Or true story about how business run the club

2 things:

1: the GOLDEN RULE

"He who has the gold makes the rules". I hate to say this, but in this case, these guys that have the lease on the field are the bosses whether you like it or not. I know it sucks but that's what happens when people have the power. "Power Corrupts. Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely!!!"

2: You can vote with your feet. If you don't like it, you are free to go somewhere else, which is what I would do. I'm sure there are lots of places to fly helicopters if you look around. Better yet, I would try to start another flying club somewhere else nearby. Once you get six members, you can get your club sanctioned by MAAC. IF you keep your membership dues lower than the other guy's, and foster a friendly open atmosphere with a democratic process, other dis-satisfied members of the club you are talking about will also leave there and come to yours.

That's the best kind of payback

(oh yeah- and 3: Promote the heck out of Hobby King's HK450's.. that should really peeve them off...LOL)
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
sd00056
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
IF you keep your membership dues lower than the other guy's, and foster a friendly open atmosphere with a democratic process, other dis-satisfied members of the club you are talking about will also leave there and come to yours.

That's the best kind of payback

(oh yeah- and 3: Promote the heck out of Hobby King's HK450's.. that should really peeve them off...LOL)
Yes, I hope that what will happen with time.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
x-planker
RCC Contributor

I am: kevin b
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Im not sure where this thread is going...some plp take this hobby toooo serious, fly what you like and have fun. Nobody can make you do anything that you dont want to...dont stress find a new crew to fly with...

Cheers

Team Skycraft Hobbies_Outrage Volocity N2_Protos 500_Blade 450x_Aeroworks Edge 540
x-planker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-planker View Post
Im not sure where this thread is going...some plp take this hobby toooo serious, fly what you like and have fun. Nobody can make you do anything that you dont want to...dont stress find a new crew to fly with...

Cheers
Exactly.

when it comes to boneheads that like to cause trouble, a "What? Me worry?" attitude is best for keeping sane
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
nairbg
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

There is a flip-side to this coin, as well. I started heli-flying last fall and sought to get involved with an Edmonton club. As fate would have it, I came across the Area-51 group first. I must say that I was welcomed with open arms and provided with as much information and support as I asked for, Mike being particularly helpful.

Perhaps it was due to the fact that I had Align equipment, but I can honestly say that the set-up assistance and entry coaching that I received from all of the Area 51 members has been exceptional. I can also say that I observed that other noobs with other-than-Align equipment were also welcomed warmly.

It's not all bad........
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
sd00056
RCC Junior Contributor

Yes you right. I have been helping a lot to all new comers myseft (probably more than any other guy from the club).

But try fly better than Leon and Mike with something different than Align (what makes other helicopters look better). See what happen?

Try to say something what Mike and Leon does not like. And you will see what happen. You will be kicked out next day.

Everything is fine while you are playing by their rules.

Last edited by sd00056; 03-11-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #8

Total Props: 57

sounds like hes related to our premier cambel..
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #9

Total Props: 57

People who have money at stake in a hobby should be not be really trusted I guess?

For the same reason I did not like Phil Noel as a heli Chair in MAAC, as owner of " Leisure Tech Products" a Century distributor he always used his articals to pump up sales.

He now has his friend in there but I believe he will be Honest, and not promote one brand of heli for a national club magazine.

Its bad enough he has his Reps pumping up the Radical and other Century helicopters on other peoples threads, but then he used many Alias to do this too...Oh the pains!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
nairbg
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd00056 View Post
Yes you right. I have been helping a lot to all new comers myseft (probably more than any other guy from the club).

But try fly better than Leon and Mike with something different than Align (what makes other helicopters look better). See what happen?

Try to say something what Mike and Leon does not like. And you will see what happen. You will be kicked out next day.

Everything is fine while you are playing by their rules.
Yes, everyone there seems to be welcoming and very helpful. It seems like a great group of guys!
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in