MAAC Instructor program - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
MAAC Instructor program

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Seems we have a wings program but we have no program or guidelines for actual instruction. No short advice on how to approach instruction, how to teach in easy steps. etc. No formal program or guidelines for instructor training ??
No tips on buddy boxing,,,,full throttle jammed or adjusted while instructing different phases. Recommended flight length when beginning with a new student, etc. etc.

I ask because I know the Soaring Association of Canada had no formal approach 45+ years ago and when a program was implemented of train the trainer, instruction quality vastly improved.

Personally I believe there should be some guidelines for instructors and some effort to make instruction consistent across Canada. No??
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Re: MAAC Instructor program

I agree, guidelines (not rules!) would be most helpful. I know when I was learning to fly I had a variety of instructors, and each brought different things to the table. I learned some very good things from each of them, and have tried to keep them all in mind on the occasion I have been called upon to instruct. As a result I feel I have done a better job than if I had been exposed to only one mentor.

If many of these things were bundled together for aspiring instructors, all could do a better, more thorough job.

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

24 pages of Wings Program suggestions under MAAC documents. AND as Dave said every person that helps at instructing brings something different to the table. One thing I have found the Best club flyer does not always make the best instructor. It is usually the average person may instruct the best and then again what one person that is learning may learn better with certain people instructing. Everyone is different..... learning or instructing . The way I see it.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

I'm sure all of us have taught others how to fly over the years, (40 yrs for me) and to follow the published safety guidelines and field rules....why all of a sudden do we need 'guidelines' and the need for consistency across the country....???
Old 05-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
I'm sure all of us have taught others how to fly over the years, (40 yrs for me) and to follow the published safety guidelines and field rules....why all of a sudden do we need 'guidelines' and the need for consistency across the country....???
We need guidelines because it helps the instructor instruct. It will guide the instructor on want to teach the student and when.

I have picked up students so many times and they don't understand principals of flight, what the throttle does, what the elevator does and why you have to add elevator in a turn.

It's not about consistency, it's giving about the student the best chance to succeed in flying.

I have been a ski instructor, sailing instructor and aviation mechanics instructor and in each one I had a book that gave me teaching points and how to assess the student.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

[QUOTE=Mike Sebastien;3276330]We need guidelines because it helps the instructor instruct. It will guide the instructor on want to teach the student and when.

I have picked up students so many times and they don't understand principals of flight, what the throttle does, what the elevator does and why you have to add elevator in a turn.

It's not about consistency, it's giving about the student the best chance to succeed in flying.

I have been a ski instructor, sailing instructor and aviation mechanics instructor and in each one I had a book that gave me teaching points and how to assess the student.[/QUOTE

Mike, I was under the assumption for years now that the 'wings' program effectively set out the guidelines for instructors and students.....and all this time it hasn't been enough? If the new guy can pass a wings test he knows what elevator is for.....sheeesh, Mike
Old 05-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

Agreed, absolutely not necessary...
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16

I have found in instructing that many things that are common sense to experienced flyers are totally outside the ken of a beginner. One of the most common I have run across is the concept that ailerons get mushy at low speed, i.e. on landing, so that is why you use rudder as it is in the prop wash and has more authority. When explained, it makes sense, but if the beginner knows squat about physics (as many do) the explanation is necessary.

There are many such tidbits that, if documented, and made available to instructors to pass on, will make for more successful flyers.

One other thing I always drum into my students is that I will teach them to fly , and safely. I will not (because I can't) teach them to fly pylon races, 3D or other advanced disciplines. It is beyond my ability, but I can make a decent sport flyer out of them, and we'll both have fun doing it.

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin View Post
Agreed, absolutely not necessary...
You are right not necessary but maybe helpful to give instructors a idea what they should teach a student. It is up to the instructor weather he wants to use it.

As for the wings program, all it does is set out performance objectives for each level.

But as always this is just a conversation, nothing will change.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #10
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

[quote=reo;3276346][QUOTE=Mike Sebastien;3276330.[/QUOTE

Mike, I was under the assumption for years now that the 'wings' program effectively set out the guidelines for instructors and students.....and all this time it hasn't been enough? If the new guy can pass a wings test he knows what elevator is for.....sheeesh, Mike[/quote]

But maybe we could do better. Maac could ask someone to create a document that would help instructors instruct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in