Photo shoot....... a bit of history - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8
Photo shoot....... a bit of history

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thought I would share a couple of photos we took today with the helicam.

In case nobody regonizes it, this is Point Peter. Can anyone remember the significance of Point Peter?

Was a beautiful day out.... to bad I can't say the same about the Lake Ontario water! Yechh!

So much action years and years ago and now there only stands a light house and a home whose occupants monitor some environmental equipment nearby.

Myles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pp2_107.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	18841   Click image for larger version

Name:	pp1_127.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	18842  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
Since we're getting close to the 50th anniversary of the rollout (and the TAM rollout is this October 4), I'm going to jump at it and say it's the launch-point for the Avro Arrow models that were cocket-booted out over the lake.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Arrow

Byrocat, you guessed it man!
it is the launching area for the Avro arrow models.
Very nice area Point Peter is. We used to camp here all the time and still come out to one part of the Point to swin on hot days. mind you the water is pretty disgusting in some areas.

There's all sorts of different laneways and paths that lead to the water all around the whole Point. When my Dad was in the military, they used to have excercises at point Peter and my Dad used to practice mortar shots out into the lake as well. Point Peter is a pretty big are and once in awhile you can find 30 caliber bullet heads and various other ammunition casings etc. very cool place
Myles

Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #4

Total Props: 57
You going to go over to the TAM (Toronto Aerospace Museum) for the rollout?

I suspect that they'll have to be using the Indian Riot Controlo Sticks (6-foot long broom handles about 2 inches thick used by Indian police) to beat back the Arrow fanatics.

I know that I'm nowhere close to being as peculiar as some of the real fanatics -- ran into one who not only knew where every part was made but the company that currently owns the manufacturer.

Wasn't sure whether to laugh or be very nervous. Some people really get totally worked up and should have other things in their lives.

I thoroughly grounded -- eight grandkids including two that own their own horses plus one in university.

Do I have time to go flying? My wife thinks so, if I'd get off of the computer..... quit the club executive..... stop looking at my e-mail....
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Arrow

I do like the Arrow but I'm not a fanatic like some peoiple.
i'm sure the "Team Arrow" gang in TO will go eh?

Myles
Old 08-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Myles,

Perhaps you can clear something up for me:

When I look at maps of "The County" the feature you refer to is referenced as Point Petre, and when I was stationed in CFB Picton (about the time you were born, I expect.) the area was a military training area refered to by one and all as Point 'Pee-tree' .

However, I came across something recently in one of The County's local rags the say only folk "from away" pronounced it that way, it has always been pronounced Point Peter by the locals. In the same article the writer indicated she had only been in The County for 20 or 30 years, and my experience goes back to before that.

Any comment?

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Point Peter

hey Dave.
As far as I remember the pronounciation has always been as the writer had said "Point Peter".
I too believe that only folks from away called it Point Petre" (pee-tree) and that the locals call it Point Peter.
I just talked to my mom as she is a resident of Picton and has been since she was born and she said quote: "We always called it Point Peter"
my guess is that even though the spelling is "Petre" it is still pronounced "Peter" (as in a person's name.)
My Dad used to be stationed in Picton as well, I'll see what he says after he wakes up from his snooze as they just got back from the Havelock Jamboree. (If you know what I mean!)
Old 08-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #8
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47
I just had a look at your photos - very nice - BUT they are of the lighthouse that is located about 1 km due west of the actual launch site.

The original buildings are still standing, but currently in use as a long range communications facillity for the Air Force.

Perhaps you can get permission to do an over flight and get some more photos - just watch out for all of the antennas, several of them are over 100' tall (30 mtrs).
Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
Dave Larkin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David L

Total Props: 7
Point Petre

Myles,

Really nice photos, we often go there to walk our dog, or for her to walk us. I never thought of flying a model down there.

Dave
Dave Larkin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Yes, the ACTUAL launch site was a little ways off to my left from my first picture. The towers are still there and actually there was quite a bit of traffic going in and out of the place that day. I didn't want to take a chance and fly over the towers and have a DND guy think I was aterrorist and shoot me out of the sky or something! LOL
And how is this for irony-----for some reason there have been a lot of F-18 activity over the skies near my house for the last couple of days.
LOL I live near Lake on the Mountain and if you don't know where that is, stay tuned as I will be taking photos of it soon to post. It's a beautiful area.

Myles
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in