Megatech B2 Mod - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
flanker91
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Megatech B2 Mod

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've decided to mod my B2 from pusher to ducted fan. My first project is to remove the ail and elev mixing and add a gyro for pitch control. On the picture you'll notice that the inner and outer flaps are joined together by wires. I'll remove the wires, and use the inner flaps for elevators. I'll harness the elev and connect a gyro to them. Then add a servos to each wing for ailerons.
This will be followed by test flights, after I'll proceed to the ducted fan problem.
My first attempt at using a gyro was to do it with a aileron mixer. This caused erratic behavior or constant pulsating of the gyro. The set up for this can be seen on the second pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1771.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	55110   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1769.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	55111   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1774.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	55112  
flanker91 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Talking Re: Megatech B2 Mod

What size of EDF are you thinking of using, if the model is the same size, oughly, as the GWS, then you could use the GWS 40 mm fans. Small and light. But they come stock with brushed motors. You could get brushless one though, all depends how much you want to invest in the project. If you want the stock GWS units, drop me a PM as I have a few in stock and would give you a good price, basically what I paid for them wholesale. Good luk on the project though, it's alway great when a plan comes together.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
flanker91
RCC Noob

Re: Megatech B2 Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
What size of EDF are you thinking of using, if the model is the same size, oughly, as the GWS, then you could use the GWS 40 mm fans. Small and light. But they come stock with brushed motors. You could get brushless one though, all depends how much you want to invest in the project. If you want the stock GWS units, drop me a PM as I have a few in stock and would give you a good price, basically what I paid for them wholesale. Good luk on the project though, it's alway great when a plan comes together.
I'm actually thinking of using one 400 eflite outrunner centerline. I've inserted a 66 mm fan for a fitting and it looks like it's going to go. I'll most likely have to open up the top of the engine nacelles for cheater holes. I'll cover them over with black screen, hopefully it wont look too .ugly. I think the challenge is going be how to place the ESC and GYRO and RX so that they don't accidently get suck into the engine. I'll probably have to cover them with a plastic shroud of some kind. And obviously i'll have to open up the back end for the exhaust port.
I've already cut out part of the windshields for airflow as well.

Last edited by flanker91; 07-08-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Talking Re: Megatech B2 Mod

SOunds like you are on your way then. One piece of advise, do not put screening on the intake area, it will restrict the air flow and could actually get sucked in. You would be better off making a nacelle covering out of plastic, like perhaps a plastic water or pop bottle, but the heavier plastic style, not the thin bottles. This stuff cuts easy and when you scruff up the glue surface, bonds pretty good with epoxy to the foam.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
flanker91
RCC Noob

Re: Megatech B2 Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
SOunds like you are on your way then. One piece of advise, do not put screening on the intake area, it will restrict the air flow and could actually get sucked in. You would be better off making a nacelle covering out of plastic, like perhaps a plastic water or pop bottle, but the heavier plastic style, not the thin bottles. This stuff cuts easy and when you scruff up the glue surface, bonds pretty good with epoxy to the foam.
Yea, I considered that screening might get sucked in. I would epoxy it on, and cover the edges with a vinyl tape. I discovered that the vinyl they use for making letters for signs stick really well but doesn't take the paint off when you remove it. You can get it in very thin sheets. That is what you see on my B2. I might just cut out the front of the engine nacelles and the windshields, that might just be enough.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in