How many clubs own their own fields??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
rctechnics
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Paul Hepworth

Total Props: 2
How many clubs own their own fields???

Just out of interests how many Canadian model flying clubs own their own flying fields?
The reason I ask is I have been a member of the Teesside Model Flying Club in the UK for 21 years. The club has been around since the mid 60’s and most of that time the club was renting land from local farmers.

In around 1997 our farmer was leading into retirement and with the family did not want to continue maintaining the farm. The land was going to be sold and the club would most likely need to move. But then the club member had an idea of buying the land. The first two problems was the club did not have the cash, second the club could not loan the money. The committee had an idea how to raise the cash using membership fees.

Each club member had 3 options when joining in 1998 #1 Pay the full club fees every year as normal. #2 Pay for 10 year membership fee. #3 Pay one time, life time membership.

If I remember the 10 year option was popular and only me and my dad became life time members. But this gave the club the cash injection it needed to purchase 18 acres. With the club owning the field out right this dramatically cut down their overheads. With the members who chose to take option #1 and new membership to cover their current overheads.

Now the club has managed to raise the money to extend and pave the parking lot, build a club house and build wheel chair asses and still keep money in the account for a rainy day. Plus the club hosts an annual airshow with both large scale models and full scale aircraft.

I understand buying land is not that simple, but I want to share this and maybe give you guys some ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in