Old TopFlite Red Box P40 kit Help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
timberman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dennis B

Total Props: 0
Old TopFlite Red Box P40 kit Help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm looking for MEASUREMENTS for a piece called alignment wedge missing from my red box p40 kit. In step #2 and#4
thanks Dennis
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7270.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	598.4 KB
ID:	557626
timberman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Old TopFlite Red Box P40 kit Help

I gotcha now Dennis, the photo shows exactly what it is. All we'd need to do is borrow an incidence meter on the bare framed wing, take the measurements, and cut a tapered piece to act as the alignment wedge. That's easy! Recommend if no one here can give the dimensions, we just ask around the Shearwater Club, to borrow one. Worst case, Maritime Hobbies did have them last time I was in, I should get one anyhow, probably a great tool for yourself as well for all the scratchbuilding projects.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Dennis,

I think the "alignment jig" serves two purposes:

- provides the second leg, along with the spar, to stabilize the wing panels as they are being constructed.

- more critically, provides the correct amount of wingtip 'washout' to lessen the possibility abrupt stalls..... google something like 'washout in rc model airplane wings" to get information such as this
http://www.mnbigbirds.com/images/PDF...%204_21_12.pdf

If I have my head screwed on correctly to build washout (and not fatal wingtip negative washout - wash-in?) illustrations 2 and 4 mean that you build the wing panels UPSIDE DOWN, so that the smaller height of the alignment jig at the wing tip 'raises the trailing edge above the leading edge', when the wing panel, top side on top, and viewed from the side.

Model incidence meters.... I see that at least one brand has moved from the analog technology of bubble levels to digital technology which gives a further feature of being able to "zero" the meter reading if our model is on table that is not aligned with the geographical horizon.

Dave, since you are into full scale construction and probably use table saws, bandsaws, etc., take a look a Beall "TiltBox" - which I have found in a decade of use to be valuable in many woodworking situations - and easy enough to cobble together other parts of a model incidence meter - for use with model airplanes.
It's available from Lee Valley Tools, which is offering free shipping 'til February 23....
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...50&cat=1,43513

good luck,

Last edited by michaely; 02-20-2015 at 01:23 PM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
mrrandyman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 10

As stated above. It simply allows you to stabalize the ribs during assembly.
The old kits did not have the tabs in the rear of the ribs that showed up later do to simplicity in tooling.

Pin your root and tip ribs in place using a square at the front and take a measurement from the trailing edge of both those ribs at the base to the building board. That will give you the taper for the piece you need.

Randy

If you were building a large scale aircraft then perhaps washout would come into play.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

In pics 2 and 4 the wing is in fact right side up. Look again. The taper in the jig simply reflects the taper in the wing. The easiest thing to do is draw a center line through the ribs. Set the root rib level to the bench and make certain the tip is level at worst, 1 or 2 degrees of washout (rib slightly higher a trailing edge)is beneficial. With the root and tip set you can take care of the rest quite easily. Make sure both panels are the same.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
timberman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dennis B

Total Props: 0

Yes Terry you are correct , pic 2and 4 are right side up , you can see the cutouts for the fixed landing gear wire blocks in ribs w2,w3,w4 near the leading edge.
timberman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in