Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
blackbear
RCC Noob

I am: Mike S

Total Props: 0
high spped needle

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
os .37 with 15% nitro.i have high speed needle at 1 turn from closed and its still running rich.i keep reading about people have 1 1/4,1 turn and few clicks,am i missing something.have csm carbsmart,temp set to 100c and its hard over fully lean always at about 2 o'clock,dam close to 3/4 turn from closed.i built 2 heli's over the winter(both with os .37) and today was first chance i got to run the engine,ran a 1/2 gallon through them both at 2 turns,then every tank went in 2 clicks to where i am now.i though it might be a prob with my carbsmart so on one i did'nt have it installed yet so i put a external temp gauge on it and leaned it to 1 1/8,its reading about 70c after hover.back of the engine is warm but no prob the hold my finger there.is this normal for the high speed to be in less than a turn,i cud'nt find a post anywhere where someone had it turned in that far.i'm guessing that i gotta lean it out to 1/2-3/4 turn from closed.these are my first nitro heli's so i'm kinda in lost as to whats normal.thanks.
blackbear is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
i have two thunder tiger pro .46's one runs great at 1.5 turns, the other wont even run if the needle is turned out more than 3/4 from closed. if the engine isn't overheating at that setting, i wouldn't worry about it.
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianodude
i have two thunder tiger pro .46's one runs great at 1.5 turns, the other wont even run if the needle is turned out more than 3/4 from closed. if the engine isn't overheating at that setting, i wouldn't worry about it.
Every engine is different. As with the previous example, even two engines that are the exact same size and make can indeed have different carb settings.

As pianodude said, if it runs good and is not overheating, then it will be just fine.

Remember too, if the engines are brand new, it will take a few tankfuls of fuel to get it broken in and running a peak power. So, don't be too quick to lean it out for max. power until its somewhat broken in as it will run a bit hotter for awhile anyways.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in