giant telemaster into a twin??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
hogflyer
RCC Noob

I am: Jim Turk
Radio of choice:
hi tec
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
giant telemaster into a twin???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anyone taken a 12 ft. Telemaster and made it into a twin gasser? I was thinking that two 40cc gas motors should pull it around pretty good. Airplane weighs 35 lb plus 25 lb in bomb bays. I've heard horror stories about the struts being weak is this so and how can i make them stronger to support 2 engines and fuel tanks in the wing??? any help would be greatly accepted thanks ..
HOGFLYER JIM
hogflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: giant telemaster into a twin???

I have built a short kit for the 12 foot telemaster, and I fly a 8 foot one with a .9 four stroke, which is way more than enough power. A single 40cc gasser on the 12 footer is way more than enough. I'd not recommend bolting 80 cc's onto that wing. A pair of 20 cc gassers, maybe, with some beefing up. The whole point of a Telemaster though, is it's super light wing loading.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Dave is correct, a major disaster in the making with that setup. Have you built a twin before?

Bill

Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
hogflyer
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
hi tec

Thanks Dave for the info. I was just guessing at two 40 cc gas engines but on second thought you are probably correct and two 26cc gas might be enough. But will the wing take that kind of stress ?

I have a twin that I have had for years . It is a Pica Duelist 2-40 and it has asp .40 glow engines with retracts and flaps. weight almost 11 lbs. and flies great.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
hogflyer
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
hi tec

Hi Bill
I have built a Pica Duelist 2-40 but that is all and I have not kit bashed one , This would be a first for me. Thanks Jim
Old 02-11-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

If you are stuck on gas you dont need anything more then 2x DLE20's

Also the structs on those planes (specifically the ends) are notorious for breaking. The extra weight and vibration in the wing would require these area to be beefed up to make it stronger.

Personally, if you are going to build a twin. A Stick 50 twin from AMR would be alot easier. The telemaster can be done tho, just make sure you understand how much extra force will be involved in the wings and struts and modify accordingly.
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I'm the son of a structural engineer, who worked on the AvroCar, Arrow, CF-100, and the Jetliner. He left me with a lot of understanding of stresses, and some really good notebooks with valuable info. He also left me this advice:

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It is possible, with enough effort, to make what you're looking to do work. Question is, why? It won't be a Telemaster, won't have any of the good characteristics of one, but you'll certainly created some negative ones. Increased weight, higher wing loading, poorer performance. It's simply not meant for having a pair of large engines strapped to it's wings.

Long ago, as a motorcycle mechanic, a "racer" came into the shop, and wanted to shave a second from his 1/4 mile times on his GSXR750. He heard that he could bolt on a hotter exhaust system, for about $800, and that would help. I had to explain the basics of internal combustion engines to him. Sure, the bigger exhaust will work, excepting you'll be trying to blow a whole lot more air out, without the engine being able to suck more in. You'll need bigger carbs, porting and polishing, probably better cam, to change the timing, oh, and better valves to handle the stress. Your stock clutch will start to slip, it's already power limited, and your stock chain will start to tear apart the sprockets. Two options. Spend about $4000, and I'll get you that better 1/4 mile time. Or, (and this really pissed him off), you could lose that extra 40 pounds of weight, save money on food, get healthier, and get your same decrease in timings, all for free.

What I'm trying to say, is if you want a Telemaster, build it. As a Telemaster. Want a great fun flying twin, as Kevin said, go to AMR, get the Stick twin 50, and you'll have a purpose designed, tried and true plane perfectly suited for your engine choice! I get the desire to be creative, but you can't just strap on a couple of nacelles, and beef up the struts. The added weight of the two engines, fuel tanks, radio gear, increase vibration, changes in thrust line, etc, etc, will require a complete re-design of the entire aircraft from nose to tail. It's a big risk, for little reward.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I should have mentioned as well, I don't want to discourage creativity. But I'd hate to see you put a huge amount of effort into a project, and be disappointed with the results. Just carefully weigh the pros and cons, and be fully aware of the associated risks. Hmmm, a scaled up Deulist with a pair of gas 26cc engines would rock!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in