RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Covering bare balsa plane??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have the bones of a nice small Multiplex HLG glider called 'Panda' with all sheet construction and "Jedelski" wing construction - 1,5mm sheet back half and pre-shaped front edge. Bad description but some of you will know it.
My problem is to cover it as simply as possible, preferably with a sort of tissue or really light-weight iron-on WITHOUT RUNNING THE RISK OF WARPING THE WING HALVES OR SHEET TAIL FEATHERS!!
There is such stuff out there, I'm sure; must be available at a good LHS though.
Any one got any good ideas/suggestions?
The plane is 1340mm span and 450gm - the fuselage is all balsa and a long while ago a buddy glassed it for me but something went wrong and he couldn't mop up the surplus resin, leaving a rather heavy coating! This I will paint.
Hence the light-weight covering I want to do - the plane is at the ARC stage!
Nice little fun machine, especially with the modern light-weight micro radio stuff. No, it doesn't lend itself to electrocuting!

Last edited by Spitball; 06-09-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
k.fluney
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Ken F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 16

Re: Covering bare balsa plane??

Spitball Try Coverrite "Coverlite", its in sheet, come in all colours and look like dope and tissue. Just thin down the Balsarite and paint it on the bare wood and on the sheet cut to size, for coverung. Can be ironed on with not to much heat. Looks great on old time models, did a little Debolt Livewire Kitten and two Top Flite LiL Rascals with it.
Ken
k.fluney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I was just going to suggest you contact one of the old time flyers to see what he uses on his "Old Timers". As always, I am just a day late and a dollar short. k.fluney's suggestion is exactly what I was thinking of.

If you want/need more info on this stuff, contact williame3590 here on RCC. He pretty much exclusively uses this stuff to cover all his planes. I don't think you will find a simpler, lighter way of covering any plane.

Just a suggestion that I thought might help you out!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

I agree with Ken completely but instead of thinning the Balsarite fabric formula just buy the Balsarite film formula. It's like brushing on varnish and is effortless. I would also hit it with one coat of nitrate dope but not nessesary, just seems to make it look a bit nicer.

good luck, Bill
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Spitball

Thanks guys - suggestions from all my favourite people!
I found some Solarfilm 'Balsaloc' yesterday and then remembered our Ontario Adhesives friend's stuff called 'Cover Grip' and now Balsarite, now that you've stirred my memory! Haven't used that since they only had one formula! I know the Balsaloc stuff to be water based PVA, like glue and I suspect the Deluxe Cover Grip may be the same, and that Balsarite was sort of petro based and thinned with other stuff, possibly toluene. Wonder which is less likely to result in warping?
Would hate to stuff it up, heck, only been at this one for 25 years! Not a fast builder, you see.
I'm sure Coverlite was the stuff I was thinking of.
Loved the Livewire Kitten - a friend overseas and I are re-finishing a Livewire Rebel by correspondence that I built just about 50 years ago, and that he inherited when I got married! Lovely project - I'm 75 and he's nearly 80 and as active as all get out!
I bought my Lil' Rascal ARF (and beautifully executed too, by jove) but I will remember this stuff when I come to build my 48" Rascal R/C, Ken!
Thanks, again guys. Now to bug AVF Hobbies for some Coverlite!

Last edited by Spitball; 06-10-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Spitball

Today mounted a massive Google search - one of the items was Coverlite but then I found Microlite that has adhesive.
Since the airframe is all-balsa and I really just want a finish as if I'd painted it, without the pain, I think this is what I'll try and get to use. Seems low temp so warping (if I'm careful) will not be too much of a problem, and I'll use a sock on the iron. Very few colours though but enough to choose Red and Yellow from! My favourite colours! Now crawling other sites reading discussions and getting some fresh ideas.
Was surprised to see that Coverite, etc. and Black Baron is made in Blighty!
Thanks all for your help, it's spurred me on!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Spitball

Thanks again for the advice - found someone who has used Microlite and he has confirmed what I felt and that was that with it's own adhesive coating and even lighter weight on spite of this, that it would be the way to go. Since the plane is all-solid balsa, painting on any of the adhesives would not perhaps yield as smooth a surface and apparently the Microlite goes on to solid sheet (and the fiberglass) quite easily with care. He says that Microlite is Nelson LiteFilm, is Solite, is Aerolite and put me onto a rather long covering guide on one of the sites that is excellent and profusely illustrated; that will be a great help - hell - I last covered with Solarfilm nearly 25 years ago! I can try and post the site if anyone else is interested. He assures me that Microlite for this application is quite strong enough and will go on quite easily, if I take care. Also half the weight.
Thanks for the help, all, and I certainly intend to use the Coverite route on the smaller open framework planes I intend to build (soon!!?)
Gentle breezes and lots of lift!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
Thanks again for the advice - found someone who has used Microlite and he has confirmed what I felt and that was that with it's own adhesive coating and even lighter weight on spite of this, that it would be the way to go. Since the plane is all-solid balsa, painting on any of the adhesives would not perhaps yield as smooth a surface and apparently the Microlite goes on to solid sheet (and the fiberglass) quite easily with care. He says that Microlite is Nelson LiteFilm, is Solite, is Aerolite and put me onto a rather long covering guide on one of the sites that is excellent and profusely illustrated; that will be a great help - hell - I last covered with Solarfilm nearly 25 years ago! I can try and post the site if anyone else is interested. He assures me that Microlite for this application is quite strong enough and will go on quite easily, if I take care. Also half the weight.
Thanks for the help, all, and I certainly intend to use the Coverite route on the smaller open framework planes I intend to build (soon!!?)
Gentle breezes and lots of lift!
If using any iron on ; I find the best way to make it stick well is vacum structure and then use a tack rag ( available at any paint store and see how much balsa dust was left behind) This way I no longer use pre prep paint on. Does a good stick without adding any extra weight.

Last edited by stegl; 06-21-2010 at 09:39 AM.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Spitball

Thanks Len; I'll bear that all in mind and will also finish sand it with finest paper - it's beautiful balsa. It deserves to get flying, it's a lovely little glider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in