Broken DX6i Antenna - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #11
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15
Re: Broken DX6i Antenna

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I owned both a DX6i and now a DX8. The DX8 is one very nice radio. It also feels smoother (gimbals) and faster than the DX6i.

And you can buy replacement antennas for it!
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Santa,

I've been a pretty good boy, taken good care of my planes....do the elves know how to make a DX8?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

I also had my DX6i antenna break at the hinge joint. I called Horizon and they also told me that I could not just purchase an antenna to replace it myself but rather I should send it in for repair/replacement, which I did.

I can't figure how it would cost $60 for postage to sent it in. It only cost me $16 to send it to Horizon. They did the replacement no charge and paid the postage to send it back. I did NOT make a warrenty claim, just sent it in telling them I wanted a new antenna installed.

I have heard story after story about the DX6i antennas failing. IT must be some sort of flaw or it's just too weak for this application. You'd think with all the returns Horizon must be getting, that they would have the manufacturer upgrade to a newer stronger antenna for the DX6i.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
RBinnie
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rod Binnie

Total Props: 0

Hi Gary,

Just to clarify, it cost me around $30 to mail CP with a tracking number (I used a fairly large box with lots of crunched up newspaper to pack it well so maybe larger and heavier than you packed). Horizon sent it back by UPS and UPS charged me another $27.15 in "brokerage fees" at my door. The radio was essentially held ransom by UPS....pay up or you don't get the package. Obviously I wasn't happy about this but once UPS gets your money you essentially have no recourse.

The most inconvenient issue is that the radio was gone for about three weekends of flying. It took about 10 days to get to Horizon due to holidays and weekends. Horizon turned it over in a few days but again with the timing of summer holidays etc that's how it worked out.
My backup radio is a DX5 that came with my Alpha trainer. I set it up for my Super Stick 60 and flying with that combination sure made me appreciate the expo function on the DX6i. Pretty hairy!!!

I fly indoors once a week so I'll see how it works there with the tape job. One way or the other I now think, after reading others experience, I'll send it back again to Horizon for replacement and not take a chance on a home repair. Still thinking of the DX8 though.... I don't need 8 channels yet but I like the telemetry feature and the idea of the field replaceable antenna as that swivel joint sure seems to be a weak design.

Cheers
Rod
RBinnie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ View Post
Santa,

I've been a pretty good boy, taken good care of my planes....do the elves know how to make a DX8?
I also have it on my xmas list. I hope the wifey doesnt get sticker shock.....

mind you, that ups the ante for what I have to get her....
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Maybe an old DX6 (without the i) antenna would fit? Could probably catch one on Ebay for cheap (though, as usual, shipping will cost ya.. I guess you buy the whole Tx, and ask the seller to send you the antenna only)... I have one but it's not for sale for now, but I'm about 40km away from you, RBinnie, so you're welcome to come over to do a fitting test if you want... If it's the same, than, it's Ebay fishing time : )
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
RBinnie
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rod Binnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gambler View Post
Maybe an old DX6 (without the i) antenna would fit? Could probably catch one on Ebay for cheap (though, as usual, shipping will cost ya.. I guess you buy the whole Tx, and ask the seller to send you the antenna only)... I have one but it's not for sale for now, but I'm about 40km away from you, RBinnie, so you're welcome to come over to do a fitting test if you want... If it's the same, than, it's Ebay fishing time : )
Hi Real Gambler,

Thanks for the offer but after reading some of the issues the other guys have had by doing home repairs I don't want to take a chance of losing a plane. It sounds like there's more to these antenas than just their physical looks and size. (Impedence for one I suspect). I'll send it back to Horizon after I've had a few weekends of indoor flying!!

BTW what’s the difference between a DX6 and a DX6i?

Thanks again,
Rod
RBinnie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
marco2236
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Marc A.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I also have it on my xmas list. I hope the wifey doesnt get sticker shock.....

mind you, that ups the ante for what I have to get her....
Im trying the same thing...Its gonna be an expensive X-mas with only 2 gifts under the tree.

MAAC #81823... Valley Model Aeronautics Club.
marco2236 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #19
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinnie View Post
Hi Real Gambler,

Thanks for the offer but after reading some of the issues the other guys have had by doing home repairs I don't want to take a chance of losing a plane. It sounds like there's more to these antenas than just their physical looks and size. (Impedence for one I suspect). I'll send it back to Horizon after I've had a few weekends of indoor flying!!

BTW what’s the difference between a DX6 and a DX6i?

Thanks again,
Rod
No problem... DX6 is DSM only while DX6i is DSM2. Otherwise, they pretty much look the same. A DX6 would only work with a DSM receiver like the AR6000.... On the other side, the DX6i will work with any DSM2 receivers (AR500, AR7000, AR6200, etc) but also work with DSM receivers.

They do look the same though, so I highly suspect that the DX6 antenna is the same as the DX6i. They probably didn't bother to make a different one for those two models. Sure enough, the DX7 antenna is totally different.

You should have no problems with Horizon Hobby. The only drawback is the fact that they will automatically use Fedex to ship it back to you, so expect an extra $27 fee for bringing it back across the boarder quickly.... Sometime they mail the bill a month or two after you receive the item! I wish they would use USPS instead.... Slower, but would go across the boarder for free.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinnie View Post
Hi Gary,

Just to clarify, it cost me around $30 to mail CP with a tracking number (I used a fairly large box with lots of crunched up newspaper to pack it well so maybe larger and heavier than you packed). Horizon sent it back by UPS and UPS charged me another $27.15 in "brokerage fees" at my door. The radio was essentially held ransom by UPS....pay up or you don't get the package. Obviously I wasn't happy about this but once UPS gets your money you essentially have no recourse.

The most inconvenient issue is that the radio was gone for about three weekends of flying. It took about 10 days to get to Horizon due to holidays and weekends. Horizon turned it over in a few days but again with the timing of summer holidays etc that's how it worked out.
My backup radio is a DX5 that came with my Alpha trainer. I set it up for my Super Stick 60 and flying with that combination sure made me appreciate the expo function on the DX6i. Pretty hairy!!!

I fly indoors once a week so I'll see how it works there with the tape job. One way or the other I now think, after reading others experience, I'll send it back again to Horizon for replacement and not take a chance on a home repair. Still thinking of the DX8 though.... I don't need 8 channels yet but I like the telemetry feature and the idea of the field replaceable antenna as that swivel joint sure seems to be a weak design.

Cheers
Rod
Rod, yes, I can see now why it cost you so much to get your antenna fixed. I'm not sure though why they sent it back via FedX. Did you send in a "Request for Service" Form with your radio? I sent them my radio via Canada Post and they sent it back via USPS NOT FedX. I absolutely refuse to buy from or use the service of any company that will only ship via FedX. I got ripped off once by them and swore that it would never happen again.

As I said in my post, the strange thing is that I sent them my radio and made no warrenty claim, I just wanted the antenna replaced. Even then, there was NO charge for the antenna/labor and the return shipping!

Perhaps if you do send anything back to Horizon ever again for checkup or repairs you specify that you want it returned via USPS NOT FedX.

Well I am sorry to hear of your experience with Horizon. But if you need repairs to your Spektrum radios, you're pretty much at their mercy!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in