General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
sylo26
RCC Contributor

I am: Paul PB

Total Props: 0
Winter flying with 28 %

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi ! I fly on snow with my yak 54 and 20 cc gasser since 2 years but would like to try with my 260 extra and 50cc. Does somebody tried it ?How was it ? Where did you bougth your skies ? Thanks ! Paul

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62
Re: Winter flying with 28 %

Hey there!!

I built a set of skis for my 30% H9/Carden Yak 54 from a tobaggan and made up a mount that glued to the tobaggan with a hole in it to put on my wheel axles.

Unfortunately, I did it quick and only glued the mount to the skis with CA.... all was well on taxi but just after lift off, one ski came off and I lost it somewhere! Luckily the snow was fairly soft so I just came into a low hover cut the throttle and harriered it into the snow... no damage to the plane but I lost a few pounds of sweat!

Even with 1 ski, it flew great and didn't need any trim.

Therefore, make your own skis... buy a tobaggan and cut out a set about 3.5" wide and about 8" long and cut them at the start of the front round part. Also, just leave on your tailwheel as is... makes a good drag brake!

When I get my new ones built, I'll send some photos to show the mount and setup to keep the ski's always pointing a bit upwards!!

Cheers

Trevor
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
sylo26
RCC Contributor

I am: Paul PB

Total Props: 0
Re: Winter flying with 28 %

Hi Trevor, I was just curious to know if there is some on the market but I think no in this size . But I made some in Lexan(plexiglass 1/,about 18 in for my old cap 232 and it works well. I fixed it on an alluminium piece( 6 in) ,putted 2 little bolts to stop the travel ,and a spring to keep it higher in front. I tried with smaller size but in soft snow it doesn't work. If some guys want to see the result,I can make pics ! Thanks ! Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in