Can someone recommend an electric RTF - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
steveanderson
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Can someone recommend an electric RTF

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can someone recommend an electric RTF. I have flown nitro planes. A Falcon 56 and a Nexstar. I think am ready for something a little more advanced and I would like to try electric.
I know very little about the newer radio systems, batteries and chargers.
I was hoping to pick up something with a decent radio that can be used for the next plane.
The radio I have now is only 4 years old but I have been told it is obsolete.
I fly at the farm and the beans and corn can be rough on landing gear. I was hoping something with a skid plate rather than wheels would be easier to land.
steveanderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
uberjay
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jason U
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11
Re: Can someone recommend an electric RTF

I saw a guy at our club flying a Parkzone T-28 Trojan as his 2nd / 3rd plane. It has enough dihedral even though it's a low wing to make it very managable yet it is aerobatic enough to have some fun with. On the plus side he was getting ~ 8 to 10 minute flights!

It is foam though... it'll be durable, but it'll have a different 'feel' than your balsa planes.

Here's the link on Horizon's site:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...an-bnf-PKZ4480

Alternately, these "EPP" wings are supposed to be incredibly durable and relatively easy to fly:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-020-m...green-arf.html

All you'd need to do is strap on a receiver and go.

BOTH of the above would require you to buy a transmitter, but you can grab DX6i's pretty cheap on RCC or even new.... or go to something like the DX7s or DX8 if you have the cash.

Hope this helps,
J
uberjay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
rbwater
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

I say, "Get a Stik." The e-flite 25e version is excellent. They are quite forgiving but you can do aerobatics too. I fly the IMAC Basic & Sportsman routines with mine. Three of us in our flying group have them & we fly them in all weathers - windy conditions - winter conditions with skis. We call them our "all weather interceptors." They're pretty tough as well & fairly easy to repair if you really get it wrong!

RB
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
gi1mo2
RCC Contributor

I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 4

I have two Parkzone planes. The F4U Corsair and the Extra 300. The Extra 300 is faster, more powerful, and flys good acrobatics such as loops, rolls, fly upside down. It has to land faster than the Corsair, tends to flip forward on grass. I bent the wheel arms forward and it helps. The Corsair is is slower, flies scale like, does slower rolls and does fly upside down if you push it. I even strapped a GoPro on top once or twice.

I also have the Radian Pro glider by Parkzone. Love it, but you really need to fly during the day to get the updrafts (in my area at least). Calm or windy day flying is still 10 minutes for all models I have mentioned.

It really depends what you are looking for. Get at least a Spektrum Dx6i, and I have bought the BNF models to get the battery, charger and receiver on two of them. Chargers are car battery hack chargers and get the job done fast. I can keep flying with two or three batteries.
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Total Props: 6

If you want something more advanced, try the E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak 54. Tonnes of power and is a much higher performance airframe than you're presently flying. Foamy...yes, but it has ribbed wings with carbon reinforcements, so it's very stiff.

Another one I've loved to fly over the years is the Multiplex Acromaster. A bit smaller than the Carbon Yak, and not an RTF, but the build is easy and foam is repairable with regular CA glue. Excellent for quick repairs at the field, if need be. Best flying foam plane I've ever flown.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1

What 4 year old radio is out of date?

Stephen
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 157

If you want a belly-lander foamy, I suggest the ParkZone Wildcat.Tough and maneuverable, and fast enough.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
steveanderson
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

I bought 2 JR sport s400 radio's 4 or 5 years ago. They work well enough. I am not very good with computers and the PNP, DS and BNF acronyms confuse me. I don't think any electric planes are compatible with the radios I have.
With a 2 year old son, a 4 year old daughter and a sick wife I may have to give up on electrics and find myself a more durable nitro plane that I can fly without replacing my radios. After I crash the nexstar maybe I should buy a cheap airframe and reuse the servos, receivers and transmitters I have now.
I was all excited after I attended a few funflys but the reality of limited funds and time has taken its toll.
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Keep it coming and I will watch the buy and sell forum on this site. I did contact someone re a wildcat but it was sold pretty quickly.
steveanderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
uberjay
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Jason U
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Total Props: 11

If you have a receiver for your existing radio you should be able to just pick up a PNP (Plug-n-play) from Parkzone/E-Flight and shove it in there. The only proviso is that the receiver you have works with standard JR/Futaba style servos/plugs.... which I suspect it would.

On the flip side, if you're on a tight budget you could make something fun to fly and cheap to replace if you turf it. Here's a couple links to make your head spin :

http://www.rcfoamieplans.com/ Foam scratchbuilt and free plans.

http://www.spadtothebone.net/freeplans.htm SPAD (simple plastic airplane design) - ie. Coroplast or corogated plastic - planes ... again, free plans.

Some of the SPAD designs can handle nitro engines - frequently used in combat. The foamies typically run electric. BOTH you can strap on whatever hardware you have and/or want - including using your existing radio.

If you do pick a free plan watch out / avoid the 'elevon' or flying wing style that require mixing to work. The traditional style plane designs should work fine though. (If you really want something that needs elevons you can get hardware mixers like this one, but I have no experience with them to tell you which is good/bad/etc.: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4072 ).

Anyway... all hope is not lost. If you have the time, you can build some pretty amazing planes for pretty low cost - heck, I just built a couple foamies for my kids out of $1.25 /sheet foam at the Dollar Store! My total cost was probably about $35 to $40 including knock-off receiver and a lipo. They aren't Wildcats or Pogos, but they are fun to fly and the kids even got to 'colour' them

Good luck.... and don't give up!
J
uberjay is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in