Simulator tips. If you are new, Look here. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 06-27-2015, 02:53 AM   #1
FaisalHeli's
RCC Apprentice

I am: Faisal A
Radio of choice:
Dx8
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Simulator tips. If you are new, Look here.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello and welcome,
I'm probably not your best source, nor am I an expert. Iv been in the hobby for less than a year. But Iv worked my way within 6 months to be able to fly 6ch helicopters in all 8 orientations. These tips I'm about to write, I can almost guarantee that it will for sure improve and elevate your skills. So let's get started.

Each practice on the simulator should not exceed 15-20 minutes, after that take a little break, and you can do whatever you want to do with the sim, have fun, and have music on to not get bored.

First thing you need to learn is how to spot hover, in phoenix simulator(which I use) there is an option where you can have a landing target(circle) that you can hover in and make sure you stay in it. (Flying site> Layouts> choose what you like(I prefer F3c box))

Now, you have four orientations to practice in your up right hover: 1. Tail in
2. right side
3.Left side
4. Nose in
also, try hovering in between two orientations, where you would have for example tail in with right side. And so one with the various orientations. Learning to hover in one spot is key to learning collective management.

Once you can hover in all orientations and you are comfortable with each one of them. Now you can move to the next step which is learning how forward fly.
There is a way of flight called "collective free", on youtube, visit freddyCanFly flight school where you will find very good instructions on collective free.
It includes very small inputs on the cyclic and pitch, tinny adjustments.

Once you got that out of the way. Start with lazy figure 8's. Your aim here is to preform a figure 8 using collective free flight. It is very very challenging at first, but if anyone else can do it, you can do it as well. But remember, the key to succeed is repetition and patience. When you are capable of preforming a lazy 8, you will be able to preform a little faster, bigger figure 8.
And guys this really require a lot of practice. You should also not let go of your hover exercise. Everyday start with all 4's hover, then go into lazy 8's and figure 8's

When you somewhat master the figure 8 exercise, your capabilities and collective management would have increased dramatically. Just keep in mind, don't spend more than 20 minutes of practice without having to take a break and rest in order to for your brain to absorb what you learned.

Now you can start practicing forward flight circles, then go to reversed flight circles. Keep in mind to preform them clockwise and counter clockwise. It is very important that you don't have a weak spot(E.X you can do C.W circles but cant do C.C.W. How good of pilot would you be if you are like that??)

When you are at this stage, its good that you apply everything you learned so far, figure 8s, hovering, circles.

Now after you have a firm recognition of your orientations, its time to flip them.
Hovering inverted: basically just repeat what you did with normal hover, get to know the orientations.

The next step is inverted loops. For me, I found it easier to preform them in reverse( Tail first) and keep on practicing, clockwise and counter clockwise loops.

From this point on, you are good to go, just keep practicing and doing everything in all orientations. Practice makes perfect.

I hope this post would help anyone who is beginning in this hobby or not knowing how to better improve.

My mentor and this information I shared was mostly from "ArchmageAU" on HeliFreak. I am forever great full for his very helpful post"From Tail-in to all 8's"

Best Regards,
Faisal
FaisalHeli's is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
littleduffman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Fred
Radio of choice:
Devo 10 on deviationtx
# of RCs: 4

Re: Simulator tips. If you are new, Look here.

great ABC whit a real heli to
littleduffman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Lokiyawl
RCC Noob

I am: James A
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 25+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalHeli's View Post
Hello and welcome,
I'm probably not your best source, nor am I an expert. Iv been in the hobby for less than a year. But Iv worked my way within 6 months to be able to fly 6ch helicopters in all 8 orientations. These tips I'm about to write, I can almost guarantee that it will for sure improve and elevate your skills. So let's get started.

Each practice on the simulator should not exceed 15-20 minutes, after that take a little break, and you can do whatever you want to do with the sim, have fun, and have music on to not get bored.

First thing you need to learn is how to spot hover, in phoenix simulator(which I use) there is an option where you can have a landing target(circle) that you can hover in and make sure you stay in it. (Flying site> Layouts> choose what you like(I prefer F3c box))

Now, you have four orientations to practice in your up right hover: 1. Tail in
2. right side
3.Left side
4. Nose in
also, try hovering in between two orientations, where you would have for example tail in with right side. And so one with the various orientations. Learning to hover in one spot is key to learning collective management.

Once you can hover in all orientations and you are comfortable with each one of them. Now you can move to the next step which is learning how forward fly.
There is a way of flight called "collective free", on youtube, visit freddyCanFly flight school where you will find very good instructions on collective free.
It includes very small inputs on the cyclic and pitch, tinny adjustments.

Once you got that out of the way. Start with lazy figure 8's. Your aim here is to preform a figure 8 using collective free flight. It is very very challenging at first, but if anyone else can do it, you can do it as well. But remember, the key to succeed is repetition and patience. When you are capable of preforming a lazy 8, you will be able to preform a little faster, bigger figure 8.
And guys this really require a lot of practice. You should also not let go of your hover exercise. Everyday start with all 4's hover, then go into lazy 8's and figure 8's

When you somewhat master the figure 8 exercise, your capabilities and collective management would have increased dramatically. Just keep in mind, don't spend more than 20 minutes of practice without having to take a break and rest in order to for your brain to absorb what you learned.

Now you can start practicing forward flight circles, then go to reversed flight circles. Keep in mind to preform them clockwise and counter clockwise. It is very important that you don't have a weak spot(E.X you can do C.W circles but cant do C.C.W. How good of pilot would you be if you are like that??)

When you are at this stage, its good that you apply everything you learned so far, figure 8s, hovering, circles.

Now after you have a firm recognition of your orientations, its time to flip them.
Hovering inverted: basically just repeat what you did with normal hover, get to know the orientations.

The next step is inverted loops. For me, I found it easier to preform them in reverse( Tail first) and keep on practicing, clockwise and counter clockwise loops.

From this point on, you are good to go, just keep practicing and doing everything in all orientations. Practice makes perfect.

I hope this post would help anyone who is beginning in this hobby or not knowing how to better improve.

My mentor and this information I shared was mostly from "ArchmageAU" on HeliFreak. I am forever great full for his very helpful post"From Tail-in to all 8's"

Best Regards,
Faisal
Have you ever though of calculating what it would have cost to learn all of that on the real machine with no simulator? (grin)
Lokiyawl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
mgfiest
RCC Apprentice

I am: Michael F
Radio of choice:
DX7(HELI VERSION), DX6i
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 1

did you use the tx parameters in the sim or use the parameters that is in the sim and what is the dr/exp throttle curve and collective pitch curve that was used.
mgfiest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
FaisalHeli's
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Dx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokiyawl View Post
Have you ever though of calculating what it would have cost to learn all of that on the real machine with no simulator? (grin)
I did think about it, and it would be bloody expansive. Instead of spending money on getting your heli fixed, spend 150$ to get a simulator that will help you train and stay up to date when you can't fly for weather or personal reasons, lets say your busy during the day and have free time at night only.

The simulator allows you to expand your experience and quite rapidly, If you keep learning a new move or trick every once in while that you would crash doing it for the first times, lets say piroflips, on the simulator when you crash you just respawn and try again. On a real heli, you would loose money, rebuild your heli, and try again? and crash?
I hope my point is delivered that it is much better to learn on the simulator.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
FaisalHeli's
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Dx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfiest View Post
did you use the tx parameters in the sim or use the parameters that is in the sim and what is the dr/exp throttle curve and collective pitch curve that was used.

I generally use the simulator recommendation on setting up the tx. Which parameters are you exactly talking about?

My DR/EXPO, for DR I have them on 100 for all channels, and when I was just starting I had for example two dual rates, one of them would 100 and the other is at 90, to have the heli a bit less responsive. However, I discovered that I can slow down the "simulation speed" which allowed me to better control the heicopter.

Throttle curve I use a flat 100 for 3D flying which is mainly what I am interested with.
Pitch curve is linear 0 to 100.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in