I have a problem! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
I have a problem!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here is what I need to know. How do you un-stick CA holding the servo for the ailerons on a balsa plane. It is a ARF HobbiSTAR 60 Select that came with the servo installed cock-eye!

It has never been in the air, perhaps I should ask the LHS to replace that piece???

I will get some pics after lunch.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9
Re: I have a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Tree View Post
Here is what I need to know. How do you un-stick CA holding the servo for the ailerons on a balsa plane. It is a ARF HobbiSTAR 60 Select that came with the servo installed cock-eye!

It has never been in the air, perhaps I should ask the LHS to replace that piece???

I will get some pics after lunch.
Try some ca unbonding solution available at your local hobby shop. If you bought the model this way have your LHS help you move/replace it.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Yup, I am trying to avoid a 240 mile round trip. I was un-aware that they make "unbonding solution" for CA. What is it?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Is the servo just rotated slightly in its spot or is it tilted? If it is just rotated a little bit there isn't really a problem, as you can center the ailerons with your radio or just move the servo arm one tooth over on the servo shaft to center it mechanically.

Otherwise, debonder should do the trick.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Can you take a picture and post it her on the forums, Brent?

It might be nmothing at all if it is cockyed, and I agree 100% with tyler P-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler P View Post
Is the servo just rotated slightly in its spot or is it tilted? If it is just rotated a little bit there isn't really a problem, as you can center the ailerons with your radio or just move the servo arm one tooth over on the servo shaft to center it mechanically.

Otherwise, debonder should do the trick.
if its just tilted a little, you just need to remove the servo arm, Turn on the radio[center all the trims] and just put the servo arm back on as close to right angles to the pushrod as possible. Lets have a look at it before you get too hasty to remove it.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #6

You got it Max! Just doin' lunch, I will head out to the shop (if I can find it in all the new snow) with the camera!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Yup, I am trying to avoid a 240 mile round trip. I was un-aware that they make "unbonding solution" for CA. What is it?
Basically, it's acetone (fingernail polish remover -- the old really smelly stuff.)

Also quite flammable and toxic (ensure good ventilation, don't smoke near the stuff, drink it or put it in your mouth.)

you don't need to flood the area around the servo, but work with small amounts.

BTW, it is also capable of melting foam -- even the fumes can affect foam if the concentrations are high enough.

Speaking of which, if you start feeling light-headed (high....), it is now time to open windows, seal the bottle and go for a long walk outside.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #8

Ha, it took me a while, I ended up plowing snow! I didn't take the wing apart yet, hoping someone will say "oh, that's fine". I did adjust the clevis, and it is balanced and has the same throw on each aileron. So I will be able to tweek it in flight with the transmitter.

The bugger needs 1.5 oz on the left wing tip to balance it laterally, but what do I know, I'm just a renewed beginner!

Here is a pic of what I'm lookin' at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1356 (Medium).JPG
Views:	200
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	95369  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1

Isnt worth worrying about IMO.Hook it up and go fly!
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Ha, it took me a while, I ended up plowing snow! I didn't take the wing apart yet, hoping someone will say "oh, that's fine". I did adjust the clevis, and it is balanced and has the same throw on each aileron. So I will be able to tweek it in flight with the transmitter.

The bugger needs 1.5 oz on the left wing tip to balance it laterally, but what do I know, I'm just a renewed beginner!

Here is a pic of what I'm lookin' at.
That looks fine to me. Should have no issues if the throws are equal and the ailerons start level.

Is the servo CA'ed to the wood?

Here is a link to Hobbyking's CA un-bonder

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8458

If you want, take the screws out on the low (right) side, loosen them up on the high (left) side and put some washers under the holes of the servo's right side to shim it up to get it level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in