Prop hub void - would you fill for 4-bolt drilling? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 05-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #21
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: Prop hub void - would you fill for 4-bolt drilling?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Plastic Master Airscrew props are what you pay for - cheap, hard to balance and inefficient. I relegate any that accidently come my way to stir sticks and airboats.

I have never understood the attraction(other than scale looks)of bolt on props. Wouldn't center bolt set ups give a degree of engine damage protection in the case of a prop strike?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Nothing wrong with nylon including Master Airscrew props in the right application. A beginner with a 40 size trainer who keeps nosing over and killing the engine during taxiing, take off and landing might loose interest if he has to change a prop or two every flight. Those Master Airscrews can take a few ground strikes and keep going and a second advantage is their inefficiency will slow the trainer down somewhat.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #23
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Dennis, if you want to see discouragement try a beginner with a bent crankshaft from a strike with a nice strong prop.

On the "trainer is too fast" front, there are 3 things I find more effective than junk props.

1) Choosing a more suitable airframe. Just because it said "Trainer" on the box doesn't mean it is.

2) Correctly sizing the prop. Large diameter/low pitch = good climb, moderate speed and a braking effect on final.

3) Proper use of the throttle. Contrary to popular belief an engine does not have to run full bore whenever the plane is in the air.

Back to subject at hand...

Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #24
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Dennis, if you want to see discouragement try a beginner with a bent crankshaft from a strike with a nice strong prop.

On the "trainer is too fast" front, there are 3 things I find more effective than junk props.

1) Choosing a more suitable airframe. Just because it said "Trainer" on the box doesn't mean it is.

2) Correctly sizing the prop. Large diameter/low pitch = good climb, moderate speed and a braking effect on final.

3) Proper use of the throttle. Contrary to popular belief an engine does not have to run full bore whenever the plane is in the air.

Back to subject at hand...
Most trainers (ARF) come with 3 bladed square tip prop to slow them down (lousy prop) works as intended to keep the speed down.

Low speed prop strikes very rarely bend crankshafts on 40/50 size motors. If a beginner is bending cranks he has other concerns that may discourage him.

Throttle management comes with experience. How many time have you seen even experienced pilots ride their model into the ground not thinking to reduce the throttle.

As instructors we work with what the student has on hand providing its not considered unsafe. I have even had students insist on using that crummy three bladed prop because its what is recommended by the manufacturer even though it might take a week or so to get a replacement. They don't think they should fly with a 2 blade prop. I can only suggest I'm not going to force anyone.

Dennis
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #25
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
Throttle management comes with experience. How many time have you seen even experienced pilots ride their model into the ground not thinking to reduce the throttle.Dennis
Dennis I am going to disagree strongly on this one!

Throttle management should be TAUGHT! Not left up to chance. That in my opinion is the single biggest down fall of most instructors. The very first lesson before a student is taken on the first flight is to teach them to develop that THROTTLE OFF reflex whenever things get out of hand! They shouldn't ever have to "think to reduce", it should be an automatic refex.

If they haven't learned that then you are a failure as an instructor!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #26
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Dennis I am going to disagree strongly on this one!

Throttle management should be TAUGHT! Not left up to chance. That in my opinion is the single biggest down fall of most instructors. The very first lesson before a student is taken on the first flight is to teach them to develop that THROTTLE OFF reflex whenever things get out of hand! They shouldn't ever have to "think to reduce", it should be an automatic refex.

If they haven't learned that then you are a failure as an instructor!
Everyone I know teaches throttle management and it works every time in practice when the student knows there is a safety net. Even experienced flyers have watched at one time or another in open mouth disbelief as their plane went in never touching the throttle. Good throttle management in emergency circumstances comes from years of experience its called reflex. You can teach it all you want but if its not reflex most likely it will be to late.

Chopping the throttle when in trouble isn't throttle management. Throttle management is not only keeping the aircraft within the flight envelope but within the capabilities of the pilot something that is as individual as there are pilots.

A good instructor teaches this but cannot guarantee the student will follow best practices once they have their wings.

Dennis
Old 05-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #27
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion "experienced pilot" and "didn't think to cut the throttle" don't belong in the same sentence.

Oxymoron.

Would you put in a police accident report that "I didn't think to take my foot off the gas peddle when I approached that congested intersection"?

Green driver, green pilot!

"Didn't have time?" I'd buy that!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #28
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion "experienced pilot" and "didn't think to cut the throttle" don't belong in the same sentence.

Oxymoron.

Would you put in a police accident report that "I didn't think to take my foot off the gas peddle when I approached that congested intersection"?

Green driver, green pilot!

"Didn't have time?" I'd buy that!
And people always tell the truth when giving statements involving traffic accidents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in