General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Hobby Wholsale sale

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Check it out - Hobby Wholesale has free shipping for everything and pays the PST for the holidays.

www.hobbywholesale.com
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
mrrandyman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 10
Re: Hobby Wholsale sale

Yes, they have been offering this for over a month now I believe.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Great but I live in Edmonton, I wonder if they'd give me the equivalent in savings???
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Looks like a good time to buy a kit or ARF from them, usually shipping is not free on kits.
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Tracon
RCC Contributor

I am: Sam J

Total Props: 0

I must say that all my purchases from Hobby Wholesale have been GREAT, good service and always the best prices.

I need to get something off my chest that has been making me and fellow RC pilots really angry for a long time...

I don't mean to bash Great Hobbies, but I just wish they would be a little more honest with everyone...

On with the story...

Great Hobbies has been trying to pull the wool over our eyes for a long time by doing the fake "On Sale Savings" trick, they say that an item is on sale for $$$ and you are getting a savings of $$$...this is total BULL DUNG!!!

For example, the wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, I said a back up radio, and she was going to buy it from Great Hobbies when I said WAIT!!!! Check out Hobby Wholesale... She did and she said YIKES!!! Why such a difference in price???.

I explained to her that Great Hobbies is always playing games with their prices & customers...

This is how it played out, the radio at Great Hobbies was $249.99 a savings of $$$ not sure how much, at Hobby Wholesale it was $239.99 $10.00 cheaper than GH and no shipping charges...

11:30AM this morning:

Great Hobbies:

Was $319.99 ??? when was this ??? next week ???

Hobby Wholesale:

Prices very rarely change and if they do they're not significant at Hobby Wholesale...

Now I check back at Great Hobbies and they've raised the price of the radio just in time for Christmas to $259.99, $10.00 more and are saying the regular price is $319.99 a savings of $60.00 and Hobby Wholesale is still $239.99!

Do they really think we are that stupid???

Fellow RC'ers don't get sucked in, always check your prices with Hobby Wholesale against Great Hobbies guys and you'll see what myself and everyone is talking about...

Thanks Ian and the guys at Hobby Wholesale for the Great prices, service and honesty...

Last edited by Tracon; 12-20-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Tracon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Great but I live in Edmonton, I wonder if they'd give me the equivalent in savings???
You already get free hotdogs and donuts when they have their open house. This is our turn.
voyager_663rd is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Hi TRACON:

I don't believe that Great Hobbies is attempting to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes; rather, I believe that their lower prices reflect the lower cost of the product as well as the stronger Canadian dollar against the U.S. A quick telephone call or e-mail to Great Hobbies might confirm this. No where in the product ad does Great Hobbies claim that the lower prices are the result of a "sale," they only mention that the consumer saves "x" number of dollars when compared to the selling price at the time that the product was first offered by Great Hobbies. Perhaps if or when our dollar drops like a high speed elevator on steroids the prices will again climb. Additionally, Great Hobbies will contribute 5% of the total cost of your order towards shipping costs, year round, not just at Christmas. I frequently do business with both Great Hobbies and Hobby Wholesale, among other distributors. In my humble opinion they are each fine hobby shops with their own strengths and weaknesses. It is the consumer’s responsibility to research what each has to offer and determine where best to spend their hobby dollars.

Best of the season to all.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracon View Post
I must say that all my purchases from Hobby Wholesale have been GREAT, good service and always the best prices.

I need to get something off my chest that has been making me and fellow RC pilots really angry for a long time...

I don't mean to bash Great Hobbies, but I just wish they would be a little more honest with eveyone...

On with the story...

Great Hobbies has been trying to pull the wool over our eyes for a long time by doing the fake "On Sale Savings" trick, they say that an item is on sale for $$$ and you are getting a savings of $$$...this is total BULL DUNG!!!

For example, the wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, I said a back up radio, and she was going to buy it from Great Hobbies when I said WAIT!!!! Check out Hobby Wholesale... She did and she said YIKES!!! Why such a difference in price???.

I explained to her that Great Hobbies is always playing games with their prices & customers...

This is how it played out, the radio at Great Hobbies was $249.99 a savings of $$$ not sure how much, at Hobby Wholesale it was $239.99 $10.00 cheaper than GH and no shipping charges...

11:30AM this morning:

Great Hobbies:

Was $319.99 ??? when was this ??? next week ???

Hobby Wholesale:

Prices very rarely change and if they do they're not significant at Hobby Wholesale...

Now I check back at Great Hobbies and they've raised the price of the radio just in time for Christmas to $259.99, $10.00 more and are saying the regular price is $319.99 a savings of $60.00 and Hobby Wholesale is still $239.99!

Do they really think we are that stupid???

Fellow RC'ers don't get sucked in, always check your prices with Hobby Wholesale against Great Hobbies guys and you'll see what myself and everyone is talking about...

Thanks Ian and the guys at Hobby Wholesale for the Great prices, service and honesty...
I think your wife must do most of the shopping in your family. This is a very common pricing method used widely in both the hobby, Icare, Zebra and in retail in general. Look at Sears some time. If one shops around, like one is always told to do, this method is not effective. It only works if one is impulsive or loyal, and does not compare prices. The world is full of half truths and semi misleading ads. Things that, if not actually incorrect, are presented to us in a way that makes a price look better at one retailer than his competition, when it is not better. It all means that a shopper has to pay attention and be more diligent that in the past. Is it bad? Well, that is a moral judgement. Is it illegal? Usually not. Is is the modern way? Yes!
Rob.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Tracon
RCC Contributor

I am: Sam J

Yes I agree with all of your points guys, but I watch them like a hawk all year round and I see them playing games with the pricing info on their website...

Business is Business but...

I just don't see a need for such a large discrepancy...

Thanks for your input...
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
gdaigle
RCC Contributor

I am: Lighter than Air

Total Props: 1

I have noticed stuff on GH hobbies too, but I am not a penny pincher, and won't raise hell fo a few bucks, BUT i did notice something on an item that was over 400.00 and talked to the customer service dept. They beat all prices I got from other places and paid shipping to PEI. To me that was good service. I don't know too many people that are in business to loose money or break even, if it was such a great profitable business, there would be a heck of a lot more hobby shops around and some guys on here wouldn't have to order from China.....my 5 cents worth

g
MAAC#84644
gdaigle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in