Motor Mount Question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Poelzer

Total Props: 0
Motor Mount Question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am curious as to what most people do when attaching your glow engine to a glass filled motor mount. Do you:

1) Tap in threads
2) Drill a hole and use sheet metal screws to hold the engine
3) Drill a hole and use bolts with "acorn" lock nuts?
4) Something else
Poelzer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

motor mounts

I used to use self tapping screws but I will be changing to threaded holes and machine screws.

The self tapping screws seem to put too much stress around the hole. Maybe I'm not drilling them large enough. They arms on the mount just seem to break off too easily.

Ken C
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

I assume that you are asking because you see pros and cons from all of the options you listed. Self tapping stresses the arms holes. Threaded holes could possibly strip or cross thread. Bolts and nuts require a small flat spot to be ground on the bottom of the arm for the nut to rest flat.

I have always used the nut and bolt method as I figured the small amount of material that I had to remove for the nut to sit flat was not enough to compromise the strength of the arm and I can't see the nut pulling through the hole.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
mustang man-rcu
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Steve B.
Radio of choice:
JR, PCM-10, JR, XP-8103

Machine screws and nylon insert (acorn) nuts. Never had that combination come apart.

Steve

To see my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ry&memid=52877
mustang man-rcu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

I use #6 socket head sheet metal screws (Dubro).

I've found the NBW (nut, bolt, and washer) set up to be too fiddly....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:42 AM   #6

Total Props: 57
Re: Motor Mount Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poelzer
I am curious as to what most people do when attaching your glow engine to a glass filled motor mount. Do you:

1) Tap in threads
2) Drill a hole and use sheet metal screws to hold the engine
3) Drill a hole and use bolts with "acorn" lock nuts?
4) Something else
Drill hole big enough for bolts to cleanly pass through and in appropriate locations, countersink a hole in the bottom of the mount large enough for a blind nut to snugly fit in place.....cut off the prongs from the blind nut and press in place with some 5 minute epoxy to hold it.....

Voila, glass mount with threads that will never strip and an awkward nut you never have to hold Have done this for years never had a problem.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Now that last suggestion just makes too much sense. I guess that's why most of us haven't thought of it!

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
Now that last suggestion just makes too much sense. I guess that's why most of us haven't thought of it!
I would like to take credit but I stole the idea from someone else

Necessity is the mother of invention, in our pattern models we do frequent engine removals so tapped threads in the glass just get destroyed and we cannot get a tool in to hold a nut, so this is the only decent option that works well

I have also seen people leave the prongs on the blind nut and heat it while inserting it so that they go into the nylon.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Chad wrote:"Drill hole big enough for bolts to cleanly pass through and in appropriate locations, countersink a hole in the bottom of the mount large enough for a blind nut to snugly fit in place.....cut off the prongs from the blind nut and press in place with some 5 minute epoxy to hold it..... "

Chad.

Great idea! This is one of the best ways that I have heard of doing this type of mount.

Up to what size of an engine would this be good for? I have a DP Edge 540 that came with a glass mount and a Saito 1.80 is the recommended engine for this plane. I have ordered one of the new Saito 2.20's and was wondering if this mount would be ok for this larger four stroke using the above idea?

I have not used a glass mount on any of my larger Saitos as I always thought the aluminum mounts, drilled and tapped and then lock nutted in place was a stronger more sure method of mounting a large four stroke, although it is a much more expensive way of doing it!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker
Chad wrote:"Drill hole big enough for bolts to cleanly pass through and in appropriate locations, countersink a hole in the bottom of the mount large enough for a blind nut to snugly fit in place.....cut off the prongs from the blind nut and press in place with some 5 minute epoxy to hold it..... "

Chad.

Great idea! This is one of the best ways that I have heard of doing this type of mount.

Up to what size of an engine would this be good for? I have a DP Edge 540 that came with a glass mount and a Saito 1.80 is the recommended engine for this plane. I have ordered one of the new Saito 2.20's and was wondering if this mount would be ok for this larger four stroke using the above idea?

I have not used a glass mount on any of my larger Saitos as I always thought the aluminum mounts, drilled and tapped and then lock nutted in place was a stronger more sure method of mounting a large four stroke, although it is a much more expensive way of doing it!
I have done this with up to a YS 160 DZ (probably not much less power than the Saito 2.2, and far more powerful than the 180).

I also use 4-40 size bolts to hold down this size of motor And 1/8" lightply with carbon laminate for the firewall

This is the engine mount I use (soft mount of my own design)

http://nbengineering.net/mount2.jpg
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in