Comp Arf Snowbird - A Canadian Icon - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14
Comp Arf Snowbird - A Canadian Icon

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys

Well just got back from a long road trip to pickup a Composite Arf Tutor. It barely fit in my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and its a decent size SUV! So, here I sit in my nice, warm workshop looking across the yard that is now covered in snow. While admiring the classic lines of the Tutor, I can't help but recall the many times I have seen the Snowbirds at airshows and thinking that one day it would be great to have a model turbine powered
version. That dream came true earlier this year when my Jet Legend Tutor was completed and flown. It was a great flying plane and through no fault of the aircraft or radio system I lost it at a major west coast event this summer. Suffice to say, please, please, take your time assembling your aircraft at the field, don't have people around to distrupt your assembly and double check EVERYTHING before you fly. We invest a lot of money, time, blood, sweat and tears in our models and it only takes a few seconds to lose our models.

So, why another Tutor? For many of us flying jets - we grew up with the Snowbirds and they hold a special place in our hearts. It may not be the nastiest, sexiest, fastest or most lethal jet out there but it has panache - style and the grace! 35 years ago I was working on a Goldberg Falcon 56, powered by a K&B .40 and controlled by a Kraft 4 channel. This winter my project will be a 2.3 metre ( JetCat P160SX ) Composite Arf Tutor complete with speedbrakes, lighting package, detailed cockpit, retracts, doors, smoke system. What a great time to be in R/C!

Cheers
Dean W.
aka The Professor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	90622  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
akb
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Closed Membership
Radio of choice:
N/A
# of RCs: N/A

Total Props: 3
Re: Comp Arf Snowbird - A Canadian Icon

Looks good Professor Wichmann.

You and your family have a great Christmas and hope to see you in the spring.
I have a footlball game to go and get frozen at.

Alan and Jean
akb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jetti

Hi Alan

You're off to see the game and I - Harry Potter....oh yeah!!!!...Sunday afternoon matinee. I wonder which fans will be louder! Got some bits and pieces for your Tutor that I'll drop off on the wet coast real soon.

D.W.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

I think I gotta get one of these. The first time I saw one was in Germany at the CompArf meeting where they had just launched the kit and I got to watch Dave Wilshire and Thomas Singer fly them in formation. It would be awesome to duplicate that on the west coast. Not to mention every time I stop by kev-o's to see one in assembly. It's a beast! but they fly oh so well. I know some guys will say the Snowbirds are old school but for some reason they never seem to get old for me.

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 10

A Canadian Favorite! So Cool!

FUTABA 18SZ
always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13

I was wondering if your shipment would beat ours or not...looks like it did by about a week. That is a nice, nice looking jet! Is there a chance it will be ready for the spring warmup??
Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jetti

Hi Wayne

The F84 is all buttoned up and ready for spring practice and onto the World Jet Masters in July. I am committed to that event - I really want the T shirt :^)

So, the workbench is clear and work begins. There is a significant thread already on RCU so I won't rehash all of it but will post the progress and some interesting stuff. It looks like the airframe should go together quickly. My goal is to have it completed and flown by the mid March.

d.w.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4

Just starting work on the fuse assembly for the CARF Tutor having finished the wings, stab, and rudder. I've been working fairly steadily on one for about two weeks. It has been a fairly interesting build (assembly). Even after building many models I sure miss the comprehensive instructions that you get with the BVM models and that are lacking on the CARF Tutor. Also, some of the hardware is not what I would like to use on any of my jets and in some cases missing entirely. The retracts look like they would be excellent. Have fun folks and the very best of the season to all of you.

Last edited by Youngguy; 11-21-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
LuvEvolution7
RCC Contributor

I am: Rich H

Total Props: 2

I think he means Tutor. LOL.

nice looking Typhoon in the background too. very cool.............both of them. I'm thinking of a Hawk in Snowbirds colours. now all we have to do, is hope the gov give the ok for the used (and in pieces) Swiss Hawks for the Snowbirds to use.
LuvEvolution7 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Steve N.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Steve N.

Total Props: 3

Congrats on the Tutor Dean. You must be one happy camper to finally get her in your hot little mitts. Following the RCU thread, it looks like Chris did a great job on the speed brakes (and cradle).

If we can both free up some time at the same time, I will have to pop out to have a look-see. I'd should bring Julie with me to trigger the convincing factor. Speaking of which,,, it's a good thing that I haven't pulled the trigeer yet - you wouldn't have been able to fit two into the Jeep G.C.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in