old timer identification help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nostalgia - Old Timer Aircraft Everything about the good old days of RC!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
eric
RCC Apprentice

I am: Eric A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX9

Total Props: 1
old timer identification help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought a lovely old timer at an estate sale but can find no one who knows what it is. Is there anyone out there who can identify it? It has an 80" one piece wing.

Thanks!

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eric 2012 021 plane bought from Walter Lawrence's estate for electric conversion- unknown model.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	147208   Click image for larger version

Name:	eric 2012 024.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	147209   Click image for larger version

Name:	eric 2012 028.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	147210  
eric is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116
Re: old timer identification help

I'm not sure what that one is as there are so many designs that look similar with slight changes here and there. I will find out though.

By the looks of that design balance it at 40% of the cord and it should sport fly extremely well.
Looks to me like a late 30's design.
Is the four stroke a 40?

Bill
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
eric
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX9

I haven't removed the engine as of yet and I can't quite see down the side. I'm going to electrify it as I belong to an electric only club (all my old timers are electric), so I'll find out and post when I get it torn down.

Eric

Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Ooooo. That is a nice and clean model. Almost looks like it was never flown. With all the stick construction it is nice to see it covered in transparent covering and an excellent colour combination.

I can't ID it either as Bill mentioned that there are many oldtime designs out there with minor differences.

I noticed you mentioned in the comments with the pictures that it was purchased from the Walter Lawrence estate. That is where my Stardust Special came from as I found the name sticker tucked under the wing. I was lucky and the name of the plane was on the wingbags.

I will keep my eye open for this one.

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
eric
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX9

Thanks for the replies, guys. Walter was a member of my SAM 54 chapter. The plane in question here was campaigned at meets and has one wing signed by Joe Dallaire, the famous designer of the Dallaire Sportster. I looked up his designs right away, but no luck on IDing the plane I bought. When one of our members went to help the family sort the models out, wings and fuselages were kind of jumbled up, so I'm hoping that wing actually belongs together with that fuselage!

Eric
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba

That might be the case Eric. The wing shape is not generally the shape you would find on that style of fuse. The wing actually looks like a Flying Quaker wing.
It's hard to tell but the covering also looks different on the stab compared to the main wing.
Wing-Monocote
Stab- Silkspan?
If it's not a matched set chances are it will still fly well.

The undercambre of the wing seems to fit the fuse well but there were alot of Oldtimers with the same airfoil.

Bill
Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
eric
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX9

The light outside when I took the pictures might have had something to do with it, but the covering is definitely identical throughout the model.

We had the same number of wings and fuselages to match up and that wing was the only one that fit the saddle properly. I agree it seems to be a wee bit strange for the fuse, but, lets face it, the plane itself can only be described as strange, but quirky models get me every time. I love 'em!

Its quite lightly built and, in its present ready to fly state including receiver battery (no fuel in the tank though) the whole plane weighs just 2 lbs., 14 ounces. I should be able to electrify it easily at around 3 1/2 pounds.

Eric
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
eric
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX9

Hi William A;

I said I'd let you know what the four stroker was. Its an FS - 20. All the slimer gear is out, the front of the model is de-gunked and I'm about ready to build a new mount, battery tray, etc. for the Eflite Power 10 I'm going to install.

Eric
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I would buy the 20 if your price is right Eric. That model is built extremely light at 2lbs.
With an 80" wing it is somewhat incredible.....you will be pleasantly surprised with that one Eric.
I'll keep searching for an ID for the model.

Bill
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
eric
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX9

Thanks Bill. I'd love to know what it is.

The equipment out weight was 17.7 ounces and the power system going in is 12.2, so it looks like I should end up with a final flying weight of well under 3 pounds (with a 2,200 mah, 3 cell lipo). She'll be a floater for sure; I may have to add a bigger battery just to get some penetration in a breeze! The wing is incredibly lightly built so this one will be exclusively climb and glide for sure. I hate that jumping jack wing clapping thing.

I've already got a line up of guys wanting to buy the FS 20, but if everybody turns out to be tire kickers, I'll keep you in mind.

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in