Part defect from FG - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
Flyingblind

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The complete pullstart is $79 at Advance. I broke the same part on my FG. Alex at Advance says they have received a fair number of complaints about it but I think they were caught somewhat off guard. I've had a number of these cars over the last 7 years (just picked up another one yesterday) and this is the first pull start I've ever broken. From looking at my other ones, it looks like Zenoah changed the material the racthet is made of. Hopefully, they'll get the parts in soon.
Flyingblind is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #12
bigfoot
RCC Apprentice

I am: Andrew

That's what I have been telling Alex and he keeps saying oh it's a matter of experience. He thinks because it's my first FG I'm new to gas engines or something. If he had listen to me he wouldn't of been so off guard as I mentioned about the problem of the defective part, part reason is the white brittle plastic and because of his lack of customer service to listen and help the consumer he just lost a few grand in business as I told my friends to go else where.

Here is something I wrote in another forum...

"I just came back from my engineering department at work and we have been discussing about this starter problem and how to rectify it. First of all, the longer and thinner rope is a great idea to prevent maxing out the length of the cord however, it does not prevent the rachet from breaking. The reason for the rachet to break is because of the poor material that Zenoah has choosen to use plus the design factor where the rachet has only two edges to grab the flywheel oppose to four or even six edges like the lawnmowers, weed trimmers and most gopeds. The more edge or teeths should I say that turns the flywheel will help distribute the energy better as a result you will have a longer lasting piece.

The problem with the two edges or teeth is that you have a huge space down the center and with the compression of that engine the brittle white plastic doesn't stand a chance especially if those rings came from a bad batch which is always possible when you deal with plastics."

As for me buying another defective part from the same shop. No way! They should be giving me two to compensate me especially when me and my bud just spend a few grand and a part under $10 break from defect I get garbage in return. I know at the time when mine broke they had none in stock but they said if they did they will charge me for it still or go email FG. What they should of done like all the other shop in the states are doing with this problem and that's taking the part of the demos to carry on the FG name with excellance.

You know what my engineering department told me? They said FG stands for F..... Garbage and I hate to admit it but it's quite true as my truck sit and sit.

I don't wanna discourage any future FG buyers as other make and models all have there share of problems it's a matter of how the manufacture and retailer handle the damage control that exists.
bigfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 AM   #13
imported_SELWA
RCC Pro Contributor

Well I'm not sure if min FG Monster Beetle has the same materials used but I may pick up a spare part just to be safe. I was told FG was on holidays for 2 weeks so now their shipping again. At least it's just a small part that broke!! Did you try places that use a simillar engine, or the place that modifies them in Toronto??

Since you and your friend both have FG's keep in mind that Advance is the distributor in Canada and they have a huge wall of parts. Most LHS don't even have any parts for them.

We FG guys have to stick together. There's not too many out there. I keep upgrading Alloy on mine and it's costing a fortune, but once it's done it's done!! I may have to put one of those motorcycle alarms on it soon!!!

Old 04-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #14
bigfoot
RCC Apprentice

I hear yah about spending the crazy money on the aluminum stuff. I checked the prices out and it's nuts. I'm thinking about making some for myself atleast for the bulkheads etc... if time ever permits. I have three potential FG owners itching to buy it's a matter of where. I know Advance have a wall of stuff but that's irrelevant based on the service I have received.

I tried a couple engine places in Toronto and they don't have them instock as the ones they had were all sold out suddenly. I wonder?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #15
imported_SELWA
RCC Pro Contributor

The FG alloy isn't too bad compared to the Elcom stuff. Full Bigfoot front end is around $750US!!!! I'm slowly upgrading. Just broke a few teeth off the spur gear, rock may have done that. I want to lift up the diff to give me a bit more clearance.

Did you try the place in Toronto that modifies the engines??
Tel: 416-999-5908
Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #16
Flyingblind

It's too bad about the service you received from them. Usually, Alex and Albert have bent over backwards for some of the odder requests I've made of them. When something goes wrong regardless of how much you spent, but more so with such an expensive investment, you'd hope to get some sort of reasonable service. Otherwise you get people ticked off at the hobby and dropping out of it, never mind the shop.
Flyingblind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #17
VENOMIZED

Check out some of the small engine shops in the area, they do carry those parts. As for the rachet, don't get to discouraged, things brake and s#$t is going to happen, mistakes are made, it's all part of being into the hobby. Don't worry about what anyone else says look out for yourself, and that goes for everything.
VENOMIZED is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #18
imported_SELWA
RCC Pro Contributor

Just a note that John's Photo and hobby sells the spark plugs for around $15. I was just there today. Roger knows his stuff with the large scale biggies.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #19
bigfoot
RCC Apprentice

Thanks man!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in