cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31
Determining Header Length

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
About to setup an EME 35 with a Pro-Rc canister. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with header length in terms of engine temperature or any other issue it can cause?

Are most people just cutting the the header to get the canister positioned where they like it in the airframe or is there more science to it than that?

Thanks!
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Re: Determining Header Length

If I'm correct header length doesn't affect most cans. For tuned pipes it make a huge difference. I'm running the eme can on my eme 60 and I just slapped the stock header on and attached the can. And getting All star performance. I would go to the large engine thread and type header length in the search menu and you should find the results your looking for. The large engine forum is the best place for engine questions. A lot of experience floating around in there lol
Old 09-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhughes View Post
If I'm correct header length doesn't affect most cans. For tuned pipes it make a huge difference. I'm running the eme can on my eme 60 and I just slapped the stock header on and attached the can. And getting All star performance. I would go to the large engine thread and type header length in the search menu and you should find the results your looking for. The large engine forum is the best place for engine questions. A lot of experience floating around in there lol
I always search before I post...but, didn't even realize there was a separate large engines forum!

Seems you are correct and most people aren't as concerned about header length with a canister vs. tuned pipe. I did a google search as well and can't find very much.

Did you cut some covering out towards the back of the plane to get some airflow around the can for cooling? Is that something I should be doing to help cool the engine as well, rather than just cutting the cowl?

I do it with electrics for cooling batteries and escs and what not, but in that case there are no air exits in the cowling.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24

My 60cc 3dhs planes comes with vented panels for the bottom of the planes I installed them to create cooling and good airflow over the motor.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhughes View Post
My 60cc 3dhs planes comes with vented panels for the bottom of the planes I installed them to create cooling and good airflow over the motor.
I suspect having good airflow through the fuse will eliminate the issue of cowl pressure mucking up carb function as well?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24

Theoreticaly it does rear carb setups arnt as prone to this phenominun as the 100cc and up where the carb is facing down right in the prop wash
Old 09-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Generally the more the back pressure the quieter the engine and the higher the the CHT. The smoother the exhaust flow the the more power. If you can make the exhaust do a couple of 180 deg. turns inside the muffler it will be quieter.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in