SOSAW *** SCHEDULE POSTED *** - Page 22 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

View Poll Results: Which Day?
Friday Nov 24th, at 7:00pm Montana's 5 83.33%
Saturday Nov 25th, at 7:00pm Montana's 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #211
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
You saying we cant knife edge on the top while makeing it 4 wingspan wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%300SFlyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kroeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabel
Anyways, here is another question, it's an easy one but it's just to bring to attention a rule that surprised me. In the stall turn, a flyover is to be zeroed. What is the criteria (in number of wingspans) that defines a flyover?
More than 4 wingspans.

Provided the pilot did not do the hammer down wind... Then its up to the judge to figure out how much of it was wind blown, [stalled condition, so there is no downgrade for wind drift] and how much was pilot error. Makes it real hard on the judge... ALWAYS hammer into the wind!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #212
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K

Total Props: 0
Quote:
So if the aircraft starts to pivot before the vertical motion has stopped,
that is not a fly over, just downgrade 1 pt per 1/2 wingspan

Quote:
or the pivot radius is larger than 4 wingspans (in calm conditions), a flyover has occurred.
correct
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #213

Total Props: 57
Hey Rick

Welcome back. Looking forward to flying together again.

Ted
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #214
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
and to discuss some of the strange rules that Ted and Dave had to contend with at Tuscon.
Ted, can you fill me in on this statement?
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
Old 02-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #215

Total Props: 57
Hi Rick

Not sure strange is the right word. The one I am not sure about in the rule book is on the hammer. On the vertical upline into the wind with the plane wind corrected (pitch only) for a strong wind, at the point of the pivot we were required to correct the plane so the longitudinal axis of the aircraft was vertical before we rotated. Once rotated we could then pitch again to wind corect the vertical downline.

The comments on the stall you make is what we had to fly, and what I tried to relay at the meeting but didn't say it correctly. We had to maintain a horizontal wind corrected flight path and at the point of entering the spin the plane just was to basically quite flying and break in all three axis simultaneously. If the plane was seen to drop the nose before it broke in the other two axis then it was a down grade .5 for 5 degrees.

The comment on the snap entry is as you describe, a simulatneous conically rotation of the tail and the nose about the centroid of the aircraft with no noticable line drawn after the nose pitch up. Therefore the way I understood it, it was not a requirement to see the nose pitch before autorotation started, it just had to be there through the autorotation.

I am writing this response under a time deadline I got to go to a meeting, hope I described it correctly this time. I have a hard time writing and speaking english, there are too many interpretations.

Bottom line I agree with everything you said Rick, no disagreement on the judging criteria you put forth.

Glad you are back, looking forward to getting together for that half way dinner still.

Ted
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #216
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
Not sure strange is the right word. The one I am not sure about in the rule book is on the hammer. On the vertical upline into the wind with the plane wind corrected (pitch only) for a strong wind, at the point of the pivot we were required to correct the plane so the longitudinal axis of the aircraft was vertical before we rotated. Once rotated we could then pitch again to wind corect the vertical downline.
This is something that was a surprise to me. I have been both flying and judging it incorrectly. I find it odd that we are required to correct this in pitch only and not in yaw. It seems like a contradiction. It is, however, how it is stated in the book. You must stand the plane back up to vertical in pitch, eliminating the wind correction. Once back on the downline the pitch needs to be put back in to maintain the track.

There are a few things, including this one, that seems to be a north central habit. When things like this came up in Jacksonville people in the other regions had a kind of matter of fact "of course that's the requirement". They've been doing it like that all along.
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #217
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

There are a few more things that could be posted if there is interest. I thought maybe post them individually so they can be questioned/discussed if needed.

Some of them might not be new to you but they were an eyebrow raiser to me.

Here is one:

It's not happening yet but they are getting ready, in a future season, to add 45 lines with roll elements to the entry and exit of a hammer. They are studying the repercussions because the potential for huge K factors is very high. You could have combination rolls on both the 45 lines as well as the vert up and down lines (egad!)

This has been prompted because it has been added to the FAI catalogue which we are basing our figures on.
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
Old 02-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #218
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kroeze
There are a few more things that could be posted if there is interest. I thought maybe post them individually so they can be questioned/discussed if needed.

Some of them might not be new to you but they were an eyebrow raiser to me.

Here is one:

It's not happening yet but they are getting ready, in a future season, to add 45 lines with roll elements to the entry and exit of a hammer. They are studying the repercussions because the potential for huge K factors is very high. You could have combination rolls on both the 45 lines as well as the vert up and down lines (egad!)

This has been prompted because it has been added to the FAI catalogue witch we are basing our figures on.
Hey Rick, why not start a new post on the judging aspect of IMAC and what may be coming up (with pics please ) since I only read Aresti!! :P

Lee
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in