what more do i have to do for my savage x ss to make it competitive at the races - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
blake
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
what more do i have to do for my savage x ss to make it competitive at the races

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey i was woundering what i should do with my savage for the up coming racing season i already have the nubz 17mm con set with the uv joints the aluminum threaded shock set a progressive spring set and all the other stuff the x ss comes with + a 3 speed im debating on taking out and putting a stock 2 speed in for racing becaues i'v heard this is better is it ??

as for gearing right now i have a 17t cluch bell and a 47t steel sper gear but i find it wheelies at less then half throttle it that ok for racing or do i want more top end speed ?

so could you guys give any advice you have im new to this so im not sure what to do

ps are there any sway bar kits or wing kits for the savage or can i mod the hellfire stuff to make it work
blake is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
trev

I think you have the right idea. First things first, get your tires, shocks, and suspension geometry figured out. You might want to go back to the 2 speed because it should aid in the reliability and you will lose time on a tight track everytime you shift gears.

Don't worry about pipes, motors, carbon fiber everything. Just practice, practice, practice. Don't worry about trying to go as fast as a truggy because that's a totally different animal compared to the 2 speed MT's you'll be running against.

cheers

T
trev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
c-low74
RCC Pro Contributor

now i seen them jump house's and garage's with a savage and not break them yet it is rare to see one finish a 5 min qual. at any race track i've een too

brian bellinger(glenwoon r/c) had a savage with more bling then a jewerly store and very seldom finished a qual or race with out breaking i was kinda shocked at how a $2000 truck could even break

Old 03-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Abiye
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: joe blow

a savage was what i started to race with... although its the toughest monster truck when it comes to bashing, its not the most popular race truck... you've got the right things in there... one thing i would advise you to do is make sure that your diffs are shimmed correctly... that was my biggest problem with my savage... the mesh between the ring and pinion gears needs to be just right... other than that you should have a great time racing that truck...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
imported_nitrocan
RCC Master Contributor

To race a Savage:

1: Put it back in the original packaging

2: Drive back down to the LHS

3: Trade it in on a Revo

4: LOL
imported_nitrocan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
blake
RCC Noob

never

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocan
To race a Savage:

1: Put it back in the original packaging

2: Drive back down to the LHS

3: Trade it in on a Revo

4: LOL
thats never going to happen because its also a basher and i would destroy a revo
Old 03-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
imported_nitrocan
RCC Master Contributor

you cant destroy, what you could never catch!
imported_nitrocan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
blake
RCC Noob

wing kit or sway bar

hey i was still woundering if there is a wing kit or sway bar for the savage or could i mod the wing kit for the hellfire
Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

you say you have all the stuff the X SS comes with, but make sure youve got the new alloy diff set up, with the pin supports, that will make your diff more or less good, and then get a good set of tires, probally crime fighters or bowties, a good high torque high speed steering servo, and then go out and practice as much as you can, you dont need anything else, maybe some different diff fluids and shock oil, for tuning,

you dont need a wing kit or sway bars, i've never seen a sway bar kit made, i'm sure you could make one fit from something, but nothing you can just buy that i've ever seen, and the wing kits are only really good for protecting the body in crashes, it serves no performance advantage other than that, it also gives the marshals something to grab when they are flipping you over, but you shouldn't be crashing so they dont need a handle
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in