therunningman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: steve
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 1
Foamies and the future......

All admit that i'm balsa guy... (builder and ARFs) electric and nitro, and that most of my birds are of the 60+" wingspan category. But going into my LHS this weekend (a rarity) and then just witnessing all the foam planes was a sad sad thing really. Trying to find a balsa plane of any type was a a lesson in futility. He had a grand total of ZERO. And this is a big hobby shop. Two years ago no glow, last year no fuel, and this year... no balsa.

Yep, It's a PNF, PNP, Foamy parkflier all in one box world now. Because even while balsa planes fly's better, and look better, he is not selling any.... and i think that is unfortunate.

Seems if you are new to the hobby, and never come across a MAAC club, you will likely stay in park flyer paradise forever !!!!
therunningman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
slash60
RCC Master Contributor

I am: ROGER V
Radio of choice:
FUTABA 10CAP
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
Re: Foamies and the future......

Sad to hear what it is like there in your end. There are still some LHS here that carry the "balsa kit" stuff but are getting less. It is the sign of the times. There are few "builders" amongst us, more "assembler". Rare nowadays are "scratchbuilders". It's like a dying/dimishing skills in other "interest"...the younger generations are less receptive to the how it came about, more like I want to fly now.
Being a builder, I always preach to the students (kids to adults) to try building a kit at least once to know how it came together, have that pride you built something and see it fly succesfully. I give them material support and knowledge as to how to go about it. I will keep on encouraging people to build, whoever they may be that comes into our hobby. I started in this hobby watching and learning from my father while he was building. More for the essence and pride of it, hopefully if I get one or two into it, then I know somehow our tradition will continue on with them.
slash60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Last week we had a nitro day. Everybody that showed up had nitro.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
therunningman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: steve
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 1

Yes i totally agree... comming from a building background, i often try at my club to encourage a build to members as well. But it is as you say... it's a "want it now" "fly it now" attitude these days.

I will typically build two planes each winter.... and funny enough when i present them at my club in the spring, i get questions such as .. "how do you put the covering on?" "With a covering iron... i say." A what? they say.
therunningman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
FD av8r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 9

I don't think the ARF and foamy market is a bad thing as it gets folks feet wet in our hobby without a huge time/emotional investment. Then if they choose to continue they can buy another arf/foamy/kit/plans etc as there are still many LHS with stock of either. I do like to see students build something eventually so they are more familiar with internal structure. This pays dividends while trying to repair crash damage.

Daryll
Old 09-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Another point. I'm a builder/ flier since the controline, freeflight day. Thing is, the building materials have changed over the years. What took a month to build a balsa, Monocote, Ambroid , plane can now be built in less than a week with EPP , Depron and a hotglue gun and CA. Wish we had it back in the day.
The local hobby shop carries as much foam sheets as balsa sheets for building.
Not so much a " have to fly it today" thing, but why wait for a month to be able to fly it.
Also the foamies are much more durable and easy to make mods.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

These ideas are not new! We were building corrugated cardboard aircraft fourty years ago. You foamy fliers need to study a little aerodynamics to make them fly better. Like the shape of the leading edge. Add some trailing edge stock backwards to the bottom of the leading edge, then glue some rounded balsa to the front and presto a nice leading edge and better low speed capability. It also adds strength.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
slash60
RCC Master Contributor

I am: ROGER V
Radio of choice:
FUTABA 10CAP
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

Whether it be a student, one who has flown but needs help or someone getting back, the goal is to keep the building aspect of our hobby alive. To install a bit of pride in what we fly because we built it. True, 20,30,40 even 50 years ago, it would take months or even years to finish a normal kit because of what we use; ambroid cement, carpenters glue and sig /dope to cover planes.
Nowadays, I agree with gord, sometimes it takes only a few evenings but its still building something. Let us all keep encouraging people to build , after they have succesfully flown their "ARF". Lets support them with knowledge, experience of what we went thru building, perhaps they can also find that "magic feeling" of " I did this".....
slash60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

The paradigm of model flying has changed, and for the better.
Its hard for old school people to let go and only remember the 'fond' side of building. Not everyone has time for that, past and present. 20 years ago, for every new guy that got into the hobby and built a plane and eventaully flew it, there were 2 other guys that were interested, bought a kit but never finished it and never got into the hobby. It was too complicated for them or maybe it took to long or maybe between family and other personal issues, never had time to finish the kit.
Today people can buy and fly- and that is how they like it. Suppliers and manufacturers have responded in kind. If there was a huge demand for wood kits, I am sure the hobby shops would stock it. But the fact that they don't is a clear indicator of what kind of customers they have.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Today people can buy and fly- and that is how they like it.
That is an indicator of what's going on. It's not aeromodeling. It's simply dicking around with a toy.

Those who are interested in aeromodeling may continue as they have done in the past. Those who are just playing with toys, will do that.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in