Water Vs Oil based poly for glassing? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
wollins
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin M

Total Props: 1
Water Vs Oil based poly for glassing?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've always used WBPU for my glassing and have never heard of folks using the oil version for glassing. Any particular reason why? I have used the oil based to seal my wood first before glassing with WBPU so I was thinking why not just use the Oil based for the whole process since I use it to seal the wood anyway?

Also ... any better product to seal the wood? Sanding sealer, dope etc etc. Suggestions?

Colin
wollins is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
cessna180
RCC Master Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16
Re: Water Vs Oil based poly for glassing?

I seal balsa with a mixture of dope (does not matter butyrate or nitrate; remember butyrate goes over nitrate but nitrate does not go over butyrate) talcum powder and some aluminum paste. Mix with some thinner so the consistence so the mixture flows out. If it is to thick dope will tend to rope. Use lots of talc and sanding is very easy. About 3 coats should be ok. The use of aluminum paste highlights any imperfections in the balsa structure. I have used WBP but when it dries it is dry but with dope application of another coat blends into the other coat because it melts itself together. I use dope to apply fabric or silkspan and you can release it with thinner and re-apply but with WBP you can not. Also WBP dries clear but oil base dries yellowish. For glassing I like a product called EZE-KOTE. It is water based resin, fast drying and easy to sand.
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
wollins
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin M

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna180 View Post
For glassing I like a product called EZE-KOTE. It is water based resin, fast drying and easy to sand.
I've heard of EZE - KOTE ... not tried it myself yet. Would one have to seal first if using this?
wollins is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
cessna180
RCC Master Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

I would say yes. Sealing the balsa first fills in the ( I call them pores) in the wood and makes a smooth finish. Before glassing structure must be smooth. Just like a paint job. Paint will not hide imperfections. To get a good paint job the under structure must be as perfect as possible.
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

If you are Fiberglassing a surface with finishing epoxy and fiberglass cloth you do not need to seal the wood.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna180 View Post
I would say yes. Sealing the balsa first fills in the ( I call them pores) in the wood and makes a smooth finish. Before glassing structure must be smooth. Just like a paint job. Paint will not hide imperfections. To get a good paint job the under structure must be as perfect as possible.
Have to disagree.... if you are using any plastic (eg. Monokote), fabric (Koverall, fiberglass cloth) or paper (silkspan) covering there is zero need to "seal the wood" or fill the pores in the wood and doing so just adds weight. The covering is the smooth base for any further finishing such as paint.

This is different from applying an liquid product - dope, Balsarite, etc. - to act as an adhesive for a paper, plastic or fabric that does not come with its own adhesive backing. And in the case of open balsa wing structures, typically this adhesive is only applied to the perimeter of the panel to be covering - and the covering on that panel then tightens a bit through drying or heat - before the whole covered component is further filled and finished in with dope, etc.

When I have 'fiberglassed' a fuselage or sheeted wing, I just sand the balsa reasonably smooth and do not apply a pre-coating of any kind before sticking the glass cloth to the balsa with resin, etc.

I suppose you can make a case for dope and some other clear coatings strengthening particularly weak balsa sheeting but usually this strengthening is sought in the film/fabric covering.

I could wrong but I think the only time filling in the wood pores/sealing the wood with sanding sealer/clear dope was used was with some old time control line 'knock out beautiful' models where NO covering was used and the dope colors needed a smooth/pore filled balsa surface.

just my recollection,
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

Deluxe Materials has a good video on how to use Eze-cote:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yP05qv3...ature=youtu.be

I really like the stuff! Great results, no epoxy mess and water clean-up.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

I have done the glass over, both balsa and foam. Ive used the ezkote & the minwax water based varathane over both.

There is no reason for pre-sealing with oil based or epoxy liquids. It was an old method with glow to stop the fuel from soaking into the wood and making it turn to a sponge consistencey, you can imagine what the last flight looked like.

The trick with the glassing over any surface is a smooth finish. Foam or wood. With the minwax Ken Manuel (FFX Fighters) taught me to dilute it 50% to save weight and he knows what he is talking about when building with foam.

Process -> Apply, let dry, light sanding, apply, let dry, light sanding, apply, let dry, light sanding. The more you apply the less of the weave you see. Sanding after each coat is essential. Perfect finish every time!

The EzKote is $24 and is expensive minwax in my experience. Got a bottle free, will never buy it.

If you want a glass like finish, 20 minute epoxy diluted 25% with alcohol (you want a very runny consistency) and applied with a brush will self level and will form a smooth glassy finish. Ive done that as a last coat just to see how it would turn out and it looked amazing. Did not need sanding but took 24 hours to dry. You can do that after the first minwax application, let dry & light sanding, cycle.

This is assuming you fly electrics only....
Old 02-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18

For those who've glassed with the polyc and fibreglass, is there a weight difference to get that nice glass like finish?
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
For those who've glassed with the polyc and fibreglass, is there a weight difference to get that nice glass like finish?
With thinned poly (50% water) you apply and lightly sand, apply and lightly sand with fine sand sandpaper until the weave disappears, then you will have that smooth finish.

To get the same I've found 20 minute epoxy thinned 30% with 99% rubbing alcohol will give a smooth finish however it always weighs more and is a pita to sand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in