Electric helicopters question... - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
NTM
RCC Contributor

I am: Nathan M.

Total Props: 0
Re: Electric helicopters question...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The packs I'm currently using in my logo 500 v-bar (on 550mm blades) are zippy 30c 6s 5000mah, they're $110 us per pack !
The performance is as good, if not better, than an outrage 25c.

I've owned a swift and an msh protos as well, the swift was very poor quality and wore parts out quickly. Replacement parts were often no good right out of the package. Flew okay, but a bit nervous feeling and it rarely stopped vibrating for long, lol.
Got me started with bigger electrics though, parts cost was comparable to a 450. Cheap.

The protos had good pop, but the cyclic left alot to be desired.
It also took alot of work fitting and finishing parts to get everything running smooth.
Run time is about a minute longer than a trex 500 due to the protos' lighter weight.
It is fragile though, crashing is usually catastrophic, and the tail parts like to spontaneously fail in flight.
I'll not buy another protos.

The trex 500 is kind of the opposite of the protos, it's built heavy (really heavy ), so run time suffers.
The collective pop is quite sluggish, but the cyclic can be decent.

To be honest though, I haven't flown a 425mm bladed heli that I really liked, I've actually preffered my 450 over most I've owned or flown.

The logo 500 is in a different class entirely than those other helis though, especially with the v-bar.
Super stable, yet crazy agile.
High quality parts rarely ever wear out.
Very high power to weight ratio, with low rotor disk loading.
It spanks that @ss !
NTM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
Darksider

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTM View Post
I've owned a swift and an msh protos as well, the swift was very poor quality and wore parts out quickly. Replacement parts were often no good right out of the package. Flew okay, but a bit nervous
How long ago did you have your Swift? The first one I had (their first generation) was a bit like that also. But so where some of the first generation Mikados that we started with.

But the next Swift 16 I got about a year later, has proven to be great and resulted in me getting the Swift 550SE and now the Swift 620SE. Of course for the price, I could not expect my 16 to be like the Logo 500 or my Swift 550SE. Both of these are more hi-zoot helis, as their price indicates.

But I still fly my Swift 16 a lot and have ran it on 4S packs, 5S packs and 6S packs. They also seem to be a popular one in the RCGroups forum on large electric helis.

We do not see many Logos in our area but we do see a good deal of Swifts.

If you are into extreme 3D, flybarless anything (Swifts, Logos, Aligns) cannot be compared in flight performance to anything with a flybar. Of course one must realistically add the cost of the flybarless avionics to the cost of the heli also.
Darksider is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
NTM
RCC Contributor

The swift I had was three or four years ago roughly.
It served it's purpose, but didn't do it in a graceful manner...

The attraction to the mikado's isn't something that's easy to explain.
You have to build one, and then fly one to understand.
If you're coming from century, align, thunder tiger, etc. , the difference is dramatic.
When I build other manufacturer's helis now, the engineering almost seems "hokey" in comparison.

The mikado's are really starting to multiply around here lately, the popularity of the v-bar and it's lower price is no doubt helping.
I've heard and seen of lots of people going from align, century, etc. to mikado 500's and 600's.
It's almost unheard of for someone to go from the mikado's to align or century though

As for the flybarless electronics price, you can buy the logo 500 or 600 with the v-bar head and electronics in a bundle. Everything in one box, and designed to work together.

Regards,
Nathan

Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
Darksider

Total Props: 1

Two of us went from Logo 20's to the Swifts. Myself, initially to the Swift 16 and another I know to the Swift 550SE about a year later.

I guess a lot depends on what era or versions of the heli you get introduced to.

I did notice that Mikado really decreased the price of their helis after the intro of the Swifts, causing many to take a substantial loss when we sold them. Now the Logo's are much better priced then they used to be, but still not carried by very many hobby shops that I know of.

R/C heli's evolve very fast in today's world, so a heli that you buy today may have the same or similar name to one from just a year ago, yet it may well be a substantially improved version.

Also very significant, is the difference in power systems, blades, paddles, gyros etc. used in each. A Swift with good blades, top gyro and top servos, that is set-up properly will fly much better then a Logo 500 with lesser equipment....and vis-a-versa.

That is why I do not believe anyone can really say one heli is better then another, without comparing all the other apples that are in the cart. To do so would be very unfair and misleading.

Last edited by Darksider; 07-22-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Darksider is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
calone76
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: calone76
Radio of choice:
JR XP9303 w/many modules
# of RCs: 3

Maybe I'll change my mind... I don't know... but this the "chosen one":
T-Rex 500 ESP
Old 07-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #26
NTM
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksider View Post

That is why I do not believe anyone can really say one heli is better then another, without comparing all the other apples that are in the cart. To do so would be very unfair and misleading.
I can very confidently say a flybarred logo 500 or 600 is a better heli than a comparable sized, flybarred swift.
I took the exact power system and blades out of my swift and dropped it on a logo 14, which uses the same flybarred head design as the newer 500/600.
The logo was much more agile, stable and precise. And ran like a swiss watch, dead smooth and reliable as hell.

As for your experiences with the logo 20, well heck, those things are ancient !
They were already relics when I started flying five years ago !
My swift wasn't some old clunker, I had all the alloy head/tail stuff and gave it power in the form of 10s 25c 2500mah/neu 1910-1.5y .
The logo 14 was on a whole other level in terms of flying characteristics.

Helidirect has started offering replacement parts for the logo 500/600, and it's forced mikado to cut their parts prices in half on most major crash items. Lots of nice painted canopies out there now for half the price of what mikado used to charge for an unpainted one too.
It's a good time to own a mikado

I'm not saying the century's aren't decent helis, but I can't think of a darn thing, besides a small price point advantage, that they have over the newer logo's.
And I can think of a whole lot of things that the logo 500/600 has over the swift series.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #27
OICU812
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Shawn S.
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol

Total Props: 36

Yea the Logo 20 is by far, not a fair comparison at all. They have not been made for years....... 3 years ago when I started you could not even buy a kit, VERY old school...good for its' time but old ...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #28
NTM
RCC Contributor

And just to be clear, I'm not sponsored or affiliated with mikado in any way.
Or any other heli manufacturer for that matter.
I'm just a very happy customer, as most mikado owners seem to be.

Regards,
Nathan
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in