Noob's 1st Trainer: V tail or Rudder/Elevator? 2CH or 3+CH? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
Switch

Total Props: 0
Noob's 1st Trainer: V tail or Rudder/Elevator? 2CH or 3+CH?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This is my first post, so first off id like to say hi to everyone...
HI

Ive been interested in flying since i was a child, but have never had
much opportunity to get into it (real or RC).

Anyways, Ill be finishing my first year in Uni and have some beer $
saved up so I've been thinking about getting an electric trainer instead.
I don't want to spend too much on a first plane to learn on
since it seems as if it is going to crash at one point or another.

Been looking at Hobbico Superstars, Wattage Cessna 180s and other
such RTFs but they cost quite a bit ($200): Especially if there's a good
chance I'm going to crash it.
On the other hand I could get a V-tail, like a Hobby Zone Fire Bird Scout
for less than $100.

Eventually I would want to fly mainly scale WWII planes, so does it make
sense to learn on a 2CH V-tail? or should I start on a 3CH?
Any comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris.
Switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

Cris:

Ahhhh...the great debate - what radio to learn on.... If you plan on sticking with the hobby, I'd recommend a 4 channel (at least) radio to start with. Yes, they are more expensive, but 4 is the minimum for actual flight controls (ailerons, elevator, rudder, and throttle). Some will advise you to get more if you want to add retracts/flaps/etc. Yes, you can control a plane on 3 channels, but you'll quickly want to go to 4. If you are looking to save your sheckles (who isn't ) you can try further down in the for sale ads in the RCCanada forum. As for planes, the GWS Slow Stick is highly recommended by a lot of people. Joining a club would also be a very good idea, as it will get you in touch with a bunch of people in your area. Joing MAAC is also a very good idea, as it will get you covered by insurance in case the unthinkable happens.

Saving money can be done also by building your own planes. Most of mine go together for about $5 or $10 worth of parts. There are a ton of plans out there if you are interested in going this way.

You should probably edit your profile in here as well so that we know whereabouts you are (we're all blood-thirsty stalkers, ya know ) so that someone in your area can give you a hand or even some "face time".

Best of luck!

Brad

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

just saw this: https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=22608

Brad

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287

Old 03-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
StevenHilton

learning

I too could not afford them time or the money until 2 years ago when I took up the hobby. Unlike you University was a long time ago but three kids and two cottages, a mother with a house and my own property precluded me from spending any time doing this.
Heres what I did:

Used Eagle with 4 servos 60 bucks
New Radio as birthday gift 0 bucks
Gallon of gas 22 bucks
Glow Igniter 14 bucks
Used Skyward 46 engine 20 bucks
Other crap 50 bucks
Total 166 bucks

Fun undescribable

Its not important how much you spend as they all look the same in the air so go cheap to start and build from there.
I am well into it now and tallied up the total costs incurred on an excell spreadsheet, fainted, then deleted the file.
StevenHilton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

It seems daunting when you are starting out. The 2 channel planes are neat for a very short time. Then you have a useless plane/radio combo. You don't really learn how to fly with a 2 channel and the guts of the plane, radio,servos, motor cannot be transferred to anything else. So in the end IMHO you have wasted your money that could have gone to a plane that you could at least use the parts.

The slow stick is an excellent suggestions.
Join a club or find a club and go up there and see what is happening and ask questions before you even join.
If you join a club you will have access to the training program. Most training programs use "buddy" boxs that give the instructor control of your plane as well by linking them together. This makes it very hard to reck your plane. In fact most trainers survive forever.
If you go the club route, which you should, have a look at the hangar 9 alpha trainer. My Local hobby Store sells them for $350. It comes ready to fly with JR components you can use for years and in any other plane.

GO TO YOUR LOCAL CLUB. Trust us
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I guesss that your biggest decision will not be which radio to get, but which propulsion method. I don't know if the attitudes have changed much, but a lot of the older "dinosaurs" in many clubs sneer at electric powered planes. I prefer electrics myself - no muss/no fuss and I can fly it at the local park without having the neighbours up in arms. The down side to electrics is that they are more costly initially to get into. Once you have the system though, it is cheaper in the long run.

Just my 2 centavos - YMMV

Brad

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
Old 04-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Sleepstalker
RCC Junior Contributor

New Stuff....New Challanges

If you want a nitro machine to kick start yer heart , have at er..aside from having to belong to a club and fly an approved field , starting your career can be awesome...( and somewhat messy) . However at an established field MANY old timers still love and fly their old nitro birds and are willing to answer questions...give tips ..and even give you an eval on your first girl...after an inspection and a buddy box would be awesome!
You can learn so much from the guys that have been in this for 25+ years that it is worth the time to bring your machine and let them go thru it with a fine tooth comb...just remember each item found wanting WILL be found , and each suggestion to resolve the problem will be in good spirit...these guys don't want you to feel stupid , they just try to explain what some of the major problems can be. Such as inproper CG...Unsecured Battery and RX ..no matter what the manual said...partially binding servo rods...will steal your batt power right NOW! If you just built an ARF for the first time and you are a perfectionist guess what ? .... An Experienced flyer at the field will at least be able to give you some great tips and TRIX! No not just for kidz!
I am a newbie and think that this is freekin Awesome! getz the chest thumpin anyway......L8terz....Sleepster...: ]
Sleepstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

I learned on a 4 channel, 40 sized trainer. I tried on my own. I failed. Repeatedly. Wrecked the plane, and fixed it until I gave up.

couple years later, I hooked up with a club. Couldn't beleive how expensive MAAC and club dues were. Until I started to FLY!!! Not fix. FLY. I learned on a buddy box, and not once in 3 months (3 times per week, 3 flights per night) did I wreck anything more than a prop. (this is well worth the cost of MAAC and dues).

That trainer met it's demise when I was either flying on my own and shouldn't have, or my flying instructor was distracted by the trees behind us , I can't remember anymore, and I put my plane into a wicked spiral dive, and could not get out. Totally pancaked the plane.

All the expensive bits came out and worked fine. (airframe can be had for around 130 BRAND new).

Point is, yes, you will eventually wreck it, but if you have some instruction, you will put that off for a long while. And when you do, if you get some gear that can be moved from plane to plane, your expenses are not near as much as they first appear.

There are some decent trainer type aircraft to be had for 1 or 2 hundred. They typically use proprietory gear, and will not work in any other models. It's something to keep in mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:43 AM   #9
rscamp
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rob C

Here's something to consider.

What propulsion system do you ultimately want to fly? It will cost you more if you have to switch over.

On the other hand, many people end up flying both glow and electric these days...

A day without sunshine is like ...night.
rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in