Servo Programming - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Eric R
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 3
Servo Programming

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi gents....

O.K. so I'm pluckin away at my AW E-300 assembly, and regarding servo programming I've come accross something I can't quite figure out. I run through the programming sequence, and think I pretty much get the various steps....I set the center points, then set the left and right, everything seems hunky dorry. Then I plug the servo back into my receiver and it is nicely centered, seems to travel same amount both directions, but doesn't have the 120deg of arc....it's like I've limited the servo end point (JR). To get the servo to move to "standard" full deflection, I have to use my travel adjust or end point or whatever it's called and set them from 100% to like 130%.

Kinda weird.

Any ideas....

Thanks, Eric
flyloose is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62
Re: Servo Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyloose View Post
Hi gents....

O.K. so I'm pluckin away at my AW E-300 assembly, and regarding servo programming I've come accross something I can't quite figure out. I run through the programming sequence, and think I pretty much get the various steps....I set the center points, then set the left and right, everything seems hunky dorry. Then I plug the servo back into my receiver and it is nicely centered, seems to travel same amount both directions, but doesn't have the 120deg of arc....it's like I've limited the servo end point (JR). To get the servo to move to "standard" full deflection, I have to use my travel adjust or end point or whatever it's called and set them from 100% to like 130%.

Kinda weird.

Any ideas....

Thanks, Eric
Your bang on Eric... when you set the end points with the programmer, once plugged into the Rx, you'll need to be at max end-point setting to get the same full travel. The programmer sets the absolute max throw, so the only way to get there is to up the endpoints. 100% endpoint is not max throw!

Sounds like you're doing everything right

T
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Your bang on Eric... when you set the end points with the programmer, once plugged into the Rx, you'll need to be at max end-point setting to get the same full travel. The programmer sets the absolute max throw, so the only way to get there is to up the endpoints. 100% endpoint is not max throw!

Sounds like you're doing everything right

T
o.k.

so just to make sure I understand the theory, if you reduce end point, ie less than 100% you effectively reduce your resolution (I think)....wouldn't increasing end point also have the same effect? I thought the idea was to try to set it up as best as possible mechanically so that 100% gives you max throws? Why would using the programmer cause it to have less total throw in either direction?

To summarize, my out of the box servo (or defaulted with programmer) I get travel "x" which is achieved at 100% in the txmitter. After programming, I get travel "y" which is noticeably less whith the txmitter still at 100%. In order to get travel "x" I have to set transmitter to like about 130%...this is o.k.?

p.s. I put a 7980 on the rudder on pull pull.....man that things got juice, and it seems pretty fast on unregulated lions

Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Dave_ORCC
RCC Contributor

I am: Dave R

Total Props: 2

Hiya Eric,

Sounds like you've got things working correctly, to be honest. The thing to remember is that 100% ATV (or whatever terminology your radio uses) will not result in all the travel the servo is capable of.

Example, stock analog servo is capable of + or - 60 degrees of travel according to the specs of the servo. Plug that servo into your Rx and set the ATV at 100% and you'll find you won't get + or - 60degrees. You won't see the full potential of the servo's travel until you max out the ATV on the radio.

Same thing applies to your digi servos that you can program the end-points. Whatever you program as the end point is what you'll get when you max out the ATV on the radio. If you leave the ATV at 100% (or less than maxed) you won't see the full travel.

I've heard and read different explanations regarding resolution. I've read that the max resolution is realized when the ATV's are set at, or near, their maximum. I've also heard that the maximum resolution is realized at 100%ATV. ** shrug ** I'm not smart enough to really figure it out nor are my thumbs precise enough to really tell the difference. Ultimately, as long as your ATV's aren't really low and you've mechanically set things up to be close to perfect with minor tweaking in the radio, you'll be fine.

FWIW, I typically program my servos to give me a bit more throw than I think I might need and set my ATV's at around 135% (Futaba max is 150%) so I have a little fine tuning available if I find I need it as I trim the plane.

Now, somebody smart can chime in and correct my errors
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24

O.K. good enoegh for me boys...I definitely learned something new with this whole servo programming thing....Now on to the 2 servo per aileron wing...

but not before I mount my brand new shiny DA 120...heeheehee..

Arf moron signing out till my next crisis, back to the shop I go.

Thanks, Eric
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyloose View Post
O.K. good enoegh for me boys...I definitely learned something new with this whole servo programming thing....Now on to the 2 servo per aileron wing...

but not before I mount my brand new shiny DA 120...heeheehee..

Arf moron signing out till my next crisis, back to the shop I go.

Thanks, Eric

Saaawweeettt... DA120

At least you're going to use yours (hint - ScaleGuy!!)

T
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Saaawweeettt... DA120

At least you're going to use yours (hint - ScaleGuy!!)

T
What you mean mister JR/Futaba/DA brand boy is gonna just stare at that beautiful piece of casting all summer?

As John Mcenroe used to say.....YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in