Giant scale setup question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Eric R
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 3
Giant scale setup question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys I was discussing this with a knowledgeable fellow at my club but I just wanted to get a confirmation on a couple of things.

With regards to matchboxes, or equalizers (in smartfly lingo): they're only necessary when you're running 2 or more servos to a surface that are NOT propgramable servos....ie if you buy the modern high torque programable servos all you do is program the center and end points and then plug them into y-harness? And if that's the case than matchboxs are somewhat redundant...is that fair?

Also with regards to power expanders and power distribution....from things I'm hearing and also reading on horizon's specs they say the JR922 power safe receiver has it's own power bus and can handle the load of multiple servos into a single port or channel. Is that reasonable? I've heard people say "my setup is super simple, no distribution box...run lipo's with high voltage servos direct without regulation...etc

So to sum up, the way I'm envisioning setting up a 100cc'er might be:

2 lipos into a high quality powersafe redundant type of receiver, with digital high voltage programable servos...if 2 required on ailerons, y harness them directly into the receiver...figure out the ignition and Bob's your uncle.. any feedback, suggestions or clarifications would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

Last edited by flyloose; 12-01-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: referenced incorrect product
flyloose is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Re: Giant scale setup question

Eric, yes, yes and yes

people are starting to see that a lot of the stuff that was being used in larger planes was overkill. Like putting a power expander in a 50cc or 100cc plane. Or larger for that matter.
But before someone shoots me down. Everybody has their own personal preference or way of doing things. A comfort zone.
And thats cool. There really isn't a wrong way anymore.

The 100cc I am building is going to be a simple set up.
AR9100 Powersafe receiver powered by 2 x 5200mah LiIons. One servo per flight surface unregulated.
Ignition is going to be tapped off one battery with a regulator. I might even go simpler and use diodes in place of the regulator to drop the voltage to the ignition. One less component to fail.

My 30cc gasser is powered off of one LiFe battery for everything. Receiver, servos and ignition. I have gotten lots of comments about how guys wouldn't run everything off one battery. they would prefer to run a seperate ignition battery. Again its preferences and comfort zones.
They say to me that if my battery fails I will loose the plane.
Hmmmm....If I use a sperate battery for the igntion and that battery fails I can dead stick it. Ok. But if a receiver battery fails...It doesn't matter. The plane is going in. It just might go in faster if the engine is still running on its own battery.
Comfort Zones

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24

Thanks for the reply Brad...I guess in the long term people may choose more and more to just go simpler, which might put a damper on the power-expander business. What are you thinking for servos in your Carden?

Thanks for the info and your opinion.

Eric

Last edited by flyloose; 12-03-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 2

Eric, The first year I had my H9 260 with 2 servos per aileron I Just programmed the Hitecs and Ran a Y into my standard receiver. Once I got my 14mz I changed my setup to 1 lead to each servo from the receiver then programmed them to match in the radio. With the Ashlock Connectors that T-Bolt sells the dual aileron leads become just one easy connector.
Everything Looks good for power to your receiver. My Ignition set-up is a Fromeco lion to a smart fly ign. reg. Simple and easy. I am also running a Smartfly Ing. Fibre optic Kill switch.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24

Thanks Brian...

good info. I'll have to look in my JR 9303 gazilion page manual to see if I have that capability (to match the servos from the xmitter). Can't remember.

Eric
Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

You can slave a channel to another in the 9303. But the 9303 and 9503 don't have the balance feature that the 11X and 12X have.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
You can slave a channel to another in the 9303. But the 9303 and 9503 don't have the balance feature that the 11X and 12X have.
When I bought the 9303 I told my wife "I'll never outgrow this radio"

Oops....

Eric
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 2

Just program the servos and stick a with a Y. It works for many, just make sure 22g wiring is used.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

If you go single servo per flight surface, you're good.
If you go HiTec servos and balance them with a programmer, you're good.

I felt the same way about the 9303 ( Thats what I have to )
And really I don't need another radio.....

BUT ..... I want the 11X

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

Eric... I had an Eagle Tree Data Logger and did a bunch of tests with my 42% Dietrich Slick this past winter/spring

My set-up was:
* 9 of the high powered Hitec 7950 servos
* 2 x 2200mAh LiPo 2-cell packs at 8.4V
* One standard 12ch JR Receiver (not the power safe)
* Each battery run through a JR HD switch and plugged into the ports on the 12ch Rx
* All ThunderBoltRc leads, homemade

What I found is that in flight, these servos drew next to nothing for normal flight - each battery was providing about 3Amps to the Rx (so 6Amp total).

No matter what I did (multiple hard snaps, walls, lomecevaks, flat spins), I could never get each battery to draw more than 8Amps and the duration was one of two seconds (that's only bursts of 16Amps for a very short time)... never enough to even affect the ThunderBolt leads and a standard Rx wouldn't even flinch at that kind of power draw!!!

Oh, and this was on a 46lb plane with my Mintor220 in it, so lots of that good old "equal and opposite reaction" theory of Einsteins was happening here!!

So my conclusion (and just my conclusion - take it for what it's worth)... all these power expanders and bus systems are just good old plain marketting - I've gone back on all my planes to the KISS principal and the bonus - I save weight and money - not too often that happens !!
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in