New Paint Process - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18
New Paint Process

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
These products are not new, just the way I am using them Is maybe. The aircraft is a DC3, I am not an expert at Iron on covering. Dope and fabric that is a different subject.

1. For a base coat I am going to use Stits, it is a polyurethane paint for full size aircraft. The beauty of it is that when you heat it with a covering iron the plastic and coverite sticks really good to it. The bad news is the color in the paint mixes with the color on the back of the plastic. Poly Brush has a light green tint to it, but the Poly spray is aluminum color.

2. So if I use Poly Spray and coverite silver I should have no problem, it has a very mild smell and I can paint anything I want over it. Like tremclad or one of them for a color coat and for a shiny coat use clear polyurethane spray bombs from C T C.

Has anyone tried this on a model? Apparently Balsa Rite is no more. Aircraft Spruce in Brampton has stits in stock.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Xanadu
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
JR, DX7

Total Props: 1
Re: New Paint Process

Tower Hobbies still stocks Balsarite/
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...rite&search=Go

or
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=64003
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Hey Cliff, Sig Stix It is the same as Balsarite. It is available everywhere.
I always coat the surface of the entire airframe before covering with fabric or plastic.
Works absolutely mint everytime.

Bill
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
philipa_240sx
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

I use Deluxe Materials Cover Grip. Although I use adhesive backed coverings (Microlite, Ultracote), it really helps in difficult areas (sheeted balsa, inside corners). It's water based, low odor, and is heat activated.

It's hard to find it in stock right now. Try the LHS, they should be able to order it directly from Horizon Hobbies:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/cover-grip-DLMAD22
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 18

I notice there is two kinds of Balsa-rite, film and fabric Is there any difference? I plan on using Coverite iron on fabric. By the way acetone is a good thinners for this. I have brought some back from globular form. I really appreciate the info.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Use only film formula for all coverings Cliff. That fabric formula needs to be applied with shovel and trowel......nasty stuff that can be thinned, but why bother.

Bill
Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
roscoe
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
Futaba/HiTec
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 6

Just as an alternate to the balsarite/stixit family, I have used a readily available alternate from the food store (safeway). Buy the cheapest highest laquer content hairspray that is on the shelf and hose down the sanded and prepped structure. This stuff works very well with Monocoat and all the other film coverings. The only drawback is the "house of ill repute" perfume. A bonus is when you can find an unscented brand, but the lacquer content is usuall lower.. Works for me....
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Max
Administrator

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe View Post
Buy the cheapest highest laquer content hairspray that is on the shelf and hose down the sanded and prepped structure. This stuff works very well with Monocoat and all the other film coverings.
Interesting.......

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Rellic
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

The proper thinning agent for Basarite is Ironex. Coverite sells it to use to clean your iron and any seam overlap bleed.
Ironex is Toluene that can be purchased at your local automotive paint supply by the gallon for under $20.00 per.
Dispense your Balsarite into smaller container for working and give each container a shot of aerosol Argon before recapping to displace oxygen in the container thus inhibiting premature curing, thickening, gumming and all the other stuff paint and glues do after being opened.

Brian T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in