Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 32 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #311
Corvus
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 1
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thought I might add a pic of my most recent project, a 59" Corvus 540 from pro-rc that started out as the tiger scheme version which I didn't care for so I fixed it All the applied graphics are vinyl with the curves being mirror cut by hand and the lettering on a Summa cutter. Please pardon the surrounding mess, working in a makeshift area at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	793.7 KB
ID:	807258  
Corvus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #312
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Nice job on the Corvus, Dave. I like your idea about the reverse weeding technique; I'll have to try that. I don't quite understand what you mean by cutting the "mirrored" curves by hand? Can you elaborate?

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:11 AM   #313
Corvus
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 1

Thanks Peter, was quite pleased myself with the end result. The mirror cutting of the curves is just a simple technique I use to get two identical pieces for each side of the plane by placing one piece of vinyl right side up over another face down on the cutting mat and cutting both freehand at the same time. Saves making a pattern and you end up with two identical mirrored pieces. When doing multiple curves in different colours I save the scrap from the first color to lay over my next color as a guide for freehand cutting of the mating edges. Very quick and easy method for this type of graphic.
Corvus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #314
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16

After following this thread for some time, drooling a lot, and wishing I could come up with a justification to buy one, lightening struck!

Last winter my wife and I wintered in Arizona, and while 'window shopping' at a JoAnnes store she decided to get a new sewing machine that was on sale. (The one she had since high school finally busted the drive belt, and replacements haven't been available for 20 or 25 years) They also had the Cameo on sale, so there was my opening! Ta-Da!

Got it home and life went to hell in a handbasket on a number of fronts, but I finally got it set up in the basement on my work table and have made a few tentative cuts. I just spent the evening reading through this entire thread to glean what I can from what others have done, and realize I have a heap of catching up to do.

It is going to be fun for sure, but my immediate need will be something simple, like doing numbers and stuff for the DHC-2 that's been a-building for two winters.

Looking forward to being a real "cut-up"!

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #315
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

I have had great results from mine and disappointments also. Do upgrade your software as it has lots more features. I buy all my vinyl from a local sign shop that sells me a 1' by 2' sheet for $5. Don't use the vinyl that comes with the Cameo as it is very expensive. Importing photos is not easy.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #316
rcgeorge
RCC Contributor

I am: robert d
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2

I came across this thread about a week ago...the Silhouette Cameo seems to be perfect for cutting paint masks and vinyl graphics for my builds, so buckled down and bought one. Have been watching numerous YouTube vids, and checking out misc forums on other sites regarding cutting styrene etc, and landed on this forum in the model RR hobby. Seems to be the answer for cutting out inspection panels etc! Can't wait until Wednesday when this sucker arrives! Here's the link to the styrene cutting forum for the Silhouette. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...-cameo-cutter/
Old 08-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #317
diss3ntienc
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: K B

Total Props: 0

I have been using a SIlhouette Cameo for the past 3 years. I love it. Easy to work with and the program is great for beginners. I use it to mainly make decals for cars and have recently upgraded to a 34" US Cutter.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #318
NDW
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Nelson D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 10

Anyone try cutting balsa on there cameo. Kinda like a poor mans CNC router? Would make cutting ribs and other parts a snap

D.
NDW is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #319
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Maybe, they have a new deep cutting blade.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #320
NDW
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Nelson D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 10

Just curious if saw dust or wood fibers would kill or damage the machine

D.
NDW is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in