The stupidiest thing you have done in RC... - Page 9 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #81
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

Total Props: 1
Stupid things that hurt....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Now this one was not by my doing, I was minding my own business, merely helping out.....

Last summer, a "friend" asked for some help running up his F-15 ducted fan so he could get the engine tuned and checked out prior to taking it to the field. We rolled the plane out onto his drive, got all the starting equipment ready, threw on some ear protection and fired the OS 91 up. After a couple of tries, we got the engine running consistently and proceeded with setting up the low and high end. It's important to note at this point that we had the engine hatch open, to allow access to the needle valves and such.

My job was basically just to hold the plane in place as we ran the engine up. So I'm holding onto the back of the plane, with my head somewhat down and facing the back, when suddenly I feel something hit my head!! Funny thing is, my first thought is that someone watching us has thrown a "rock" and hit me!! But soon I realize it had to have been something else, and my head is bleeding pretty good. Meanwhile, the engine has stopped and my "friend" is looking at me, wondering why I've got my hand on the side of my head; after all the plane had just kicked a bunch of dust into his face.

Turns out that a screw had come loose and been sucked into the fan, breaking one of the blades which is what hit me!! Thank goodness it didn't hit either of us in the face!! Moral of the story: use locktite on EVERY SINGLE bolt and screw in a ducted fan!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s_head_ouch__186.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	20337  

I'd like to offer you moral support, but I have questionable morals!
Leadfoot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #82
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Re: Stupid things that hurt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot
Now this one was not by my doing, I was minding my own business, merely helping out.....

Last summer, a "friend" asked for some help running up his F-15 ducted fan so he could get the engine tuned and checked out prior to taking it to the field. We rolled the plane out onto his drive, got all the starting equipment ready, threw on some ear protection and fired the OS 91 up. After a couple of tries, we got the engine running consistently and proceeded with setting up the low and high end. It's important to note at this point that we had the engine hatch open, to allow access to the needle valves and such.

My job was basically just to hold the plane in place as we ran the engine up. So I'm holding onto the back of the plane, with my head somewhat down and facing the back, when suddenly I feel something hit my head!! Funny thing is, my first thought is that someone watching us has thrown a "rock" and hit me!! But soon I realize it had to have been something else, and my head is bleeding pretty good. Meanwhile, the engine has stopped and my "friend" is looking at me, wondering why I've got my hand on the side of my head; after all the plane had just kicked a bunch of dust into his face.

Turns out that a screw had come loose and been sucked into the fan, breaking one of the blades which is what hit me!! Thank goodness it didn't hit either of us in the face!! Moral of the story: use locktite on EVERY SINGLE bolt and screw in a ducted fan!!!!!!!

Steve you are lucky man, thank god it was DF impeller piece that came off and not a real turbine blade piece!.....we all had few very close calls in this hobby.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #83
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan
Quote:

Steve you are lucky man, thank god it was DF piece that came off and not a real turbine blade piece!.....we all had few very close calls in this hobby.
Lucky you turned away and weren't watching it...it very easily could have been your eye!!!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #84
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
Lucky you turned away and weren't watching it...it very easily could have been your eye!!!
...those were my exact thoughts after I realized what had happened!! John and I were both lucky that it didn't end up worse. Besides, it hit me in the one place where it couldn't possibly do any more damage!! :P

Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #85
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
...those were my exact thoughts after I realized what had happened!! John and I were both lucky that it didn't end up worse. Besides, it hit me in the one place where it couldn't possibly do any more damage!! :P
Too bad it made all your hair fall out!!! :P

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
Old 11-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #86
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

That was my reaction when I looked in the mirror and saw what it had done to my beautiful head of hair!!!!!

Of course it had to happen on a day when I hadn't shaved it. Which brought up another interesting point for me about a day later... how am I going to shave my head (I use a disposable razor) with a nice big gouge out of it?????

Old 11-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #87
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I hear they have "Nair" for men now!

Flying Tigers RC Club
Old 11-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #88
chuck_zc
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Charlie L.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Total Props: 2
Steve, do we visit the same barber? I could have sworn that was my head I was looking at
chuck_zc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #89
Leadfoot
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, JR 9303

I think that it's a pretty popular barber, as I see more and more people looking like that these days!!!

He's been getting my money for a good 10 years now......

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in