Questions about turbine trainer jets - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
rcfreak

Total Props: 0
Questions about turbine trainer jets

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey all you jet flyers,

I am getting into turbine jets but need to know what trainers are currently out there. I know of a number of them such as Bobcat, Hotspot, Kangaroo, Wild Hornet and Stingray. I would like to know which of these I should be looking at or if there are any similar style trainer jets that I have missed that may be better.

The characteristics I am looking for is a jet that will fly off of grass if I need to, has good slow flight characteristics and is in the 20lbs turbine range. I like the the composite type of airframe kits which come painted in different schemes or with painting left to do as far as finishing on the exterior. I would greatly appreciate any information on Jet trainers anybody has to share.

Thank you,

Michael
rcfreak is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
It depends on which one you like. If you are looking for a low cost budget kit, the AV8R is probably the best trainer out there. If you like to build, the Jurassic is an excellent wood/balsa trainer, better looking than the AV8R for similar price.

If you prefer composite, you have already listed them. Come to Leamington May 27/28 and you will most likely see them all there and you can decide.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

My vote goes to the Roo or Rookie... Peter is right in suggesting the AV8R as turbine trainer as it is just that a 'trainer' pretty much and will fly like a high wing sport trainer...
That said the Roo and Rookie in my opinion are better for the experianced prop pilot coming into turbines who wants to fly higher performance sport or/and larger scale jets! reason being is that the Roo/Rookie has a wide perfomance envelope and is a little fussy as to how they ideally like to land, which is good practice for the faster heavier swept and delta wing subjects you like to ultimately build and fly. The Roo/Rookie fills your requirments and teaches you broader jet flight dynamics fairly well in my opinion hence is why I would suggest these two designs. Its hard to go past the Roo with the external turbine install for simplicity and access to radio systems which is the priority really for new turbine flyers, she flys well off grass with suitable undercarriage set up and can fly as slow as 20 mph and fast 200+ mph and all in an ARF composite airframe. Turbines of 12-30 lb thrust will be adabtable 'no worries'

Cheers-

Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8
Trainer jets

I have flown the Roo with a TJT 3000 and, PST 600 and recently with a
T-500. What size engine are you looking for a trainer jet for?
Easy plane to fly but just be sure to keep that nose up on landing or it may start bouncing.
Myles
Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Have you looked at the boomerang??

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Rcpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Peter Harasiewicz
Radio of choice:
JR12X

Jet trainer

HI, I have watched and flown nearly all the jets out their and in my opinion the Reaction 54 is the best first time jet. It flys great of grass, it is the slowest jet for landing and it has such a large wing, it is easy to see.
The Reaction 54 is a low cost built up kit that is covered in Monocoat.
If you come to Lemmington, you can see it fly.
Rcpete
http://www.btemodels.com./

Last edited by Rcpete; 09-03-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Rcpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
RC_MAN
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10
Trainer

I'm with Pete on the Reaction as long as you are in a market for a 14 pounder jet.

The only drawback is that you have to build it or offer Pete some mucho buckos

Peter D.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
rcfreak

Thanks everybody for all the info.

My main interest is to go with a delta wing type trainer jet with a composite airframe because of the look and quality of such a kit. I figured the Roo would be the choice of most but the look of it with the high mounted engine doesn't appeal to me as much as the Hotspot, Wild Hornet, Rookie and Stingray. I read in Jet Power mag that the Roo is being discontinued and is replaced by the Rookie, is this true? Which of the jets I mentioned would be a better choice as far as flight characteristics and grass capability?

I'm fairly confident in flying a delta type jet with the skills I have and the price of these jets is very reasonable. I would like an ARF full composite trainer jet that also comes painted up and I think the Rookieand Roo come like that.

Michael
rcfreak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

It sounds like you have already made your decision

Both fly well off grass..

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14
The Kangaroo has been discontinued and has been replaced by the Rookie. Deltas fly differently than your standard airframe so be sure to get some instruction if you plan on flying at your local short field grass strip. You appear to have chosen a 20+ lb turbine so aircraft like the Rookie, Eurofighter ( use 23lbs plus turbine minimum ) and in fact the Skymaster F15 ( built light ) all fly well. Also consider teh Boomerang XL. Personally - I have to agree with Pete and Peter. Having built and flown a Reaction - at present there is no better grass field jet trainer out there!

Regards
Dean
www.pstna.com
Helijet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in