Electric 101 More & More Questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Electric 101 More & More Questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Or better yet Electric flight for Dummies. Ok so I have a eflight 15 brushless a 40amp ESC 3s 11.1 volt 2400mah flight pack x2 a hitec receiver and even a plane to put it in. This stuff is mostly new but traded with other persons for. Needless to say I don't have much reading material that shows propper procedure for hook up. Ok the charger I can go on line to see how to use even print a copy.Ok the motor is plugged to the ESC.The ESC has two pairs of wires one plugs into the battery the other has a universal FUT.JR. plug does this require a switch(heard someone say it will arm itself).I keep reading about BEC do I need one or is this only required with larger stuff. I assume the li po also powers my servos how does the voltage of 11.1 react to 4.8/6. volt servos. I don't want to over do it now for questions,not that I am afraid they will go unanswered but so I can absorb the answers Thanks in advance Mike

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.

Last edited by hifly2104; 11-16-2008 at 09:50 PM.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-24
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1
Re: Electric 101

From one Mike to another . . . .

You can download the e-flite motor and ESC instructions sheets at http://www.e-fliterc.com/ and I HIGHLY recommend that you do. The e-flite sheets are well written and should answer many of your questions.

The futaba plug goes to the throttle channel of your Rx. Be aware that some Tx brands (Futaba if I remember right) will need to have the throttle channel reversed to work correctly.

ALWAYS remove the prop the first time you fire this up because you will not be able to predict the rotation direction or possibly power setting. And nobody wants you to get injured on your 1st electric plane.

As for the Battery Eliminator Circuit, (BEC) the ESC instruction sheet will clearly spell oput how many servos you can safely operate off the BEC. Heed what it says. If you are running more servos than the ESC can supply, then get yourself a small Rx battery.

Mike Anderson
MAAC Electric Committee
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11

Yeah Mike,

Its a different ballgame. You need to send Blue Jay tickets for the " secrets" Ha
Keep your Tx throttle stick in the middle when you plug in the Lipo battery. Full low stick should " arm" the ESC speed control. Then you should hear a musical beep.... not
Back Street Boys ! If it uses high stick to arm , then do servo reversing for CH 3 on
your Transmitter as per above post. The BEC circuit provides a constant 5 volts to the receiver at so many amps( check spec sheet). If you are using more servos than specified in the manual, you can buy a seperate BEC device.....but try and stay simple to start with for now.

Dave
cassat is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

Thanks for the advice Mike and Dave. So how do I know if my esc has BEC

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Pee on it and walk away.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

And some ESC's have no built in BEC. Then use and external BEC or receiver pack.

Both E-flite 40A speed controls seem to have BEC circuts. What model ESC do you have?

Eflite has great instruction sheets online, in english too.

www.e-fliterc.com
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

Hi Eric I have an Emax 40a ESC

Most of this is another language to me . It says something about programable HOW??

1.1 Output : Continues 30 A, Burst 40 A up to 10 Secs.
1.2 Input Voltage : 5.6V --- 16.8V ( Lithium : 2 – 4s or NiMH/NiCd 5 -12 Cells)
1.3 BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) Output : linear mode BEC 2A
1.4 Max Speed: 210,000rpm for 2 Poles BLM, 70,000rpm for 6 poles BLM, 35,000rpm for 12 poles BLM. (BLM: Brushless Motor)
2 Features

2.1 Safety Arming Feature: Regardless the Throttle Stick position, the motor will not spin after battery connected. This will prevent any injury happened.
2.2 Throttle Calibration: Throttle range can be configured to provide best throttling linearity, fully compatible with all market available transmitters.
2.3 Programmable Items :

◠Brake Settings : brake enabled / brake disabled, default is brake disabled
◠Battery Type : Li-xx(Li-ion or Li-poly) / Ni-xx(NiMh or Nicd) , default is Li-xx.
◠Low Voltage Protection Mode(Cutoff Mode) : power reducing / power cutoff, default is power reducing.
◠Low Voltage Protection Threshold(Cutoff Threshold) : low / medium / high, default is medium cutoff voltage.

1) For Li-xx battery , number of battery cells are judged automatically , low / medium / high cutoff voltage for each cell are: 2.6V/2.85V/3.1V. For example: 3 Cells Li-Poly, when medium cutoff voltage is set, the cutoff voltage is: 2.85*3=8.55V.

2) For Ni-xx battery, low / medium / high cutoff voltages are 0%/45%/60% of the startup voltage (0% means the low voltage cutoff protection function is disabled) . For example: a 10 cells NiMH battery pack, fully charged voltage is 1.44*10=14.4V, when medium cutoff voltage is set, the cutoff voltage is : 14.4*45%=6.5V.

â— Startup mode: normal / soft / super-soft, default is normal startup.
â— Timing: low / medium / high, default is medium timing. In normal cases, low timing can be used for most motors. But for high efficiency, we recommend the Low timing for 2 poles motor and Medium timing for 6 poles and above. For higher speed, High timing could be used.

2.4 Full P rotection F eatures: Low-voltage cutoff protection / over-heat protection / throttle signal lost protection .

3 Advantages

3.1 Military Standard Capacitor with extremely low resistance used on voltage input section, this will increase the ability of prevention of unwanted RF Noise/ Interference during flying.
3.2 Extreme low resistance, super current endurance.
3.3 Microprocessor and BEC use separate voltage regulator IC, with good anti-jamming capability

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Pee on it and walk away.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

A photograph would have been easier, is this a test?

I think you have this:

Quote:
1.1 Output: Continuous 30A, Burst 40A up to 10 Secs.
1.2 Input Voltage: 2-4 cells lithium battery or 5-12 cells NiCd/NIMh battery.
1.3 BEC: 2A / 5V (Linear mode).
1.4 Max Speed: 210,000rpm for 2 Poles BLM, 70,000rpm for 6 poles BLM, 35,000rpm for 12 poles BLM.
(BLM: BrushLess Motor)
1.5 Size: 45mm (L) * 24mm (W) * 11mm (H).
1.6 Weight: 25g.

2 Features

2.1 Safety Arming Feature: Regardless the throttle stick position, the motor will not spin after battery connected.
2.2 Throttle Calibration: Throttle range can be configured to provide best throttle linearity, fully compatible with all market available transmitters.
2.3 Programmable Items:
Brake Setting: brake enabled / brake disabled.
Battery Type: Li-xx(Li-ion or LiPo) / Ni-xx(NiMh or NiCd).
Low Voltage Protection Mode(Cutoff Mode): Gradually reduce the output power / Cutoff the output power.
Low Voltage Cutoff Protection Threshold (Cutoff Threshold): low / medium / high.
Start Mode: normal / soft / very soft.
Timing: low / medium / high.
Reset: reset all the programmable items to its default setting.
2.4 Full Protection Features: Low voltage cutoff protection / over-heat protection / throttle signal lost protection.

3 Advantages
3.1 Military standard capacitor with extreme low resistance is used at voltage input section, this will increase the ability of prevention of unwanted RF Noise/ Interference during flying.
3.2 Extreme low resistance PCB is used at power output section to get best current endurance capability.
3.3 Microprocessor uses separate voltage regulator IC, with good anti-jamming capability.
3.4 Compatible with Hobbywing's Program Card.
3.5 Intellectual property rights of our own.
It's a Hobbywing Pentium-30A, instructions here
Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

More questions. Someone wrote in another thread about joining wires not sure if it was to a motor ESC or a battery. Is it common then for all of these or any of these to come without ends. If yes what type of connectors or ends are used.

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Pee on it and walk away.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

You can solder them but bullet connectors are quite common (in case you want to reverse the motor?) female on the speed control, male on the motor.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c

Hey Eric You Are an Encyclapedia of knowledge.Hmm now if I could just figure out how to spell that right . Getting back to job at hand where does one source these from,some on ebay 10x pairs but doen't see any shrink wrap with them also they show two sizes a 3.7mm and a 4mm From Hong Kong Ones from the states are for 3 pairs and the shipping ouch. How much at LHS ??

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Pee on it and walk away.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in