Wing warp solution - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
Wing warp solution

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I forgot to put a 1/4" spacer under a tapered wing when I sheeted the bottom and ended up building some negative washout on the left panel. I have been working the heat gun with the wing clamped to the table and have even tried a little water on the sheeting. No luck so far.

It is a Great Planes Old Timer, no ailerons. Partially sheeted leading edge to spar, cap strips etc. Short of rebuilding the panel, anybody got any ideas.

Supposed to be my easy flying snow ski/pontoon plane.

Thanks

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
Don Bright
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Having similar warp problems before I've sprayed the part [wing] on both sides with a solution of water with a bit of ammonia [windex with ammonia] and then clamped down to flat surface with a bit over straighted and left for a few days. Sometimes having to do 2 or 3 times. Might take a fair bit of time but usually manage to get it straightened out in the end. Good luck.

Don
Don Bright is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
nosedive
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Maurice H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 8

I once took out a fairly major warp by submersing the entire uncovered wing in hot water for about 2 minutes, then doing as the gentleman in the above post did- clamped/pinned/weighted it down for a day or so. Did this twice and the wing came out perfect. The warp never did come back.

Worked for me!

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Thanks Guys. That's sort of what I am working on right now. It's that old patience thing.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

What are you covering it with? When you are covering, if you use any type of shrink covering, you can usually remove the warp by manipulating the covering with heat.
I will go into more detail, if this does not make sense.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Thanks for your input. I've done the same using Mono and I am using mono on this one. It was a little more serious than that. I soaked it down and had it clamped overnight. It's a lot straighter this morning. I will be able to fix the rest when I cover it.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Cambridge Float Flyers

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in