dazzler wing...will it fly - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
S.P.A.D.s Discuss SPADS

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 03:45 AM   #1
tailslide

Total Props: 0
dazzler wing...will it fly

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
last night i built the dazzler wing.i couldn't find any 2 mil coroplast so i used 4 mil.
the only problem i had was that the 4 mil doesn't bend as easy as 2 mil so i scored it on the spar line and i ended up with a triangular type airfoil instead of a more rounded type.
im just wondering if it is going to make much difference or am i just wasteing my time?????
i have a few pics,but i have no idea how to post them here.
can anyone please help me.[/list][/code]
tailslide is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:15 AM   #2
Tattoo

With just the info in your post, I would say that it will fly...but cannot predict how well. If you look at the early Spads that use all 4mm wings, you'll notice that there are 2 folds at the spar giving the apex of the airfoil a flat spot. The original experiment was just a single fold triangular shaped wing...it flew great at top speed...but horrible at lower speeds. The air burbled off the single fold, and landings were more like 6 million dollar man controlled crashes. We split the severity of the fold angle by making the double fold (or triple facet wing) and it made all the difference in the world! This eliminated the airflow burble and kept the airflow adhered to the wing.
Tattoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:47 AM   #3
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

Tailslide, it is possible to make a good symetrical wing out of 4mil. I have done it once or twice, you just have to be darn sure that the trailing edge is glued down strong, even zip tie it if you have to. The hardest part of the symetrical 4mil wing is standing the spar up in there. I use a dummy spar that is slid in half way, so you have a good grip on it, stand the fake one up then slide your real spar in. With a little patience and persperation you should be able to make a real nice 4ml dazzler wing. Your creased wing will fly, as tattoo says, but the smooth job would be wayyyy better, give it a try, it only costs $5 or so
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
tailslide

thanks for the info guys
i think i am going to scrap that wing and try it again tonite
Old 10-15-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
Tattoo

Although a different style wing, there are some good pics in this essay of making a smooth airfoil all 4mm wing. Well worth the extra effort, as this is BY FAR the best flying conventional Spad wing I've ever flown. It may give you some ideas to use.

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Bu...dihedral1.html

Another method I've seen used with great success on a symetrical wing...is to fold and glue the wing flat...then insert the spar.
Tattoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:22 AM   #6
tailslide

i made the new wing and it turned out great.i folded it ,glued it,and inserted the spar when everything was dry.
i also made some channels out of coro for the spar to slide in and stay in the propper position
good idea tatoo
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in