Broken tail grips!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
Broken tail grips!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This week I have been having some trouble with tail wag I can never seem to fully get rid of it. After an accidental reversing of my gyro operation I broke one tail blade but not my torque tube gears from Hobby King. I replaced the blade and reversed the gyro then tried it again, this time the wag was way worse. After close inspection I noticed both tail blade grips were broke clean off on one side only so both blades only had one side of the grip holding. So I figure my tail wag started with one of the grips cracking and break that I never noticed which started the tail wag. Now if I flew 3D that heli would be in a twisted heap on the ground. I don't fly 3D I just don't see the attraction but each to his own.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Broken tail grips!!

The cause for the sudden tail wag was likely vibration. This may have been caused by the cracked or broken tail grip(s).

One easy visual cue is if the ends of the horizontal stab grow "Fuzzy" at speed.

Glad you were able to catch this before rolling it up into a ball.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
Re: Broken tail grips!!

The grips are plastic and I think the one side started to go well before this. I fly in a very docile fashion and am not hard on my helis in any way. One more thing happened when I had my back turned on my heli I hit the throttle stick and put it to max throttle. All I could do at this point was hit the throttle hold switch and kill the motor only. It turned out well because by leaving the pitch setting it had some form of autorotation. It landed on the skids with no breaking of any parts that I could see. Now it could be the grip was already weak or cracked and that could have broke it clean or even cracked the other one as well. The blade grips were Align so I think I'm going to order some aluminum grips or maybe trade some 600 or 500 parts for some grips.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in