Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Battery Pack options

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just purchased a 1/10 scale Slash 4X4 and it came with a 7 cell 8.4v 3000mAh battery pack.

The manual says that 8 and perhaps even 9 cell Ni-MH packs could be used. Also I have the option to upgrade to a 3S Lipo for even greater speeds. So at this year's Toledo RC Expo I purchased a 3S 8000mAh Lipo pack for the Slash. I haven't tried it out yet but will once I get to a good open area where I can let her loose.

My question is this: Have any of you much more experienced car guys ever used an 8 or 9 cell Ni-MH pack in their electric vehicles??

In my way of thinking, an 8 cell pack would be 9.6 volts which is within the voltage limit. 9 cells would theoritically be 10.8 volts but a fully charged pack could exceed the 11.1 volt limit, could it not? Or is it safe to use?

I have several 7 cell 8.4v packs and would like to tear down one pack to use the individual cells to make 8 cell 9.6v packs of the others. I could even make up a couple of 9 cell packs but am concerned with the high end voltage of a fully charged pack.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone has tried doing this, that is, making up 8 and perhaps even 9 cell packs and having them run successfully?

I would very much appreciate your expertise in this matter. Thank you in advance for your help, comments, input, suggestions.

Cheers.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
mike88

Total Props: 0
Re: Battery Pack options

You will be fine with a 3cell lipo..12.6 fully charged.
Tire shredding fun
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Thanks Mike. Holy cow, I took the Slash out this morning for its first run in the back yard and wow!!! Does this thing really move....well, at least to me is seems very fast.

And that's with a 8.4v NiMH which is said to only do 35mph. I can't imagine loading the 3S 11.1v Lipo in her and cutting her loose which claims to blast off at up to 65mph. I best get out to the local track or somewhere there is a large field to test run her with the Lipo for fear of driving it through the garage door or into the big Maple tree in the back yard.

I really think this is going to be great fun and exciting especially if I get up the nerve to race against others at the off road dirt track. I have flown all sizes and shapes of planes over the years which is still a great thrill to me. I never imagined that driving RC Cars/trucks could be so exciting and a real rush to do. But it is!!! And I love it!

I just know that it's going to be a great Spring and Summer this year and can't wait to get out there cut the Slash loose on the track!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Hobbes69
RCC Noob

I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
DX3S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

I've had mine for overa year now, great car. I've upgraded to a castle creations short course w/2650 kv and a 4s. Half throttle is fast enough at the track, and I'm eating tires like crazy. I'm a little faster than my son's with a 3s, but the faster you go the more you break! have fun.
Hobbes69 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Thanks for the input guys!

So, has anyone tried an 8 cell or even a 9 cell NiMH pack??

IF so please let me know how it worked out for you. Would appreciate someone chiming in here. Thanks again!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in