RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
S.P.A.D.s Discuss SPADS

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
A First S.P.A.D.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thought I'd try it, so I went down to the hardware store and spent about $30.00 on materials. 2-3/8" gutter downpipe, 4mm Coro, yard sticks and some clamps. Felt like building something anyway.

I wanted to make it flyable in a day, so I picked the Friday Night Special (FNS) plans off the SPAD link so commonly refered to here. I tried, but, failed to make it in a day.

There was a problem with the wing. I think the yardstick wing-spars were to wide, taking into account the distance of spar to LE; the Coro buckled instead of curved over the spars. Now, I have to make a new wing.

This was my first attempt in the SPAD world. A fine idea if you want to build quick and fly soon. I have to get it right, though, and now it has to wait for the next set of days off.

I'll post some pics when its flying. If it flys.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Re: A First S.P.A.D.

Hey Guy,

The FNS plans call for 2mm coro in the wing, which may be why you're seeing some buckling. If you can get your hands on some 2mm, I'd say that is definitely your best bet.

I'm sure you've got it right, but also make sure you're running the "flutes" of the coro in the chord-wise direction, rather than span-wise for the wing. It will buckle for sure if you've got it span-wise.

Hope you work it out, SPADs are a blast!

Ben

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Thanks Ben

After reading your post (I've always enjoyed your input), I see the plans do call for 2mm Coro. Just like an old guy to look at the picture and not read the directions. Oh Well!!

Guess I'll have to invent my own way to deal with the issue, because I bought two sheets of 4mm and no 2mm. I bought enough material to build five of these things.

I'll have to think about it at work. I'm thinking this is my first SPAD, but, it might also be the first SPAD built 1/2 & 1/2. I may have to use a little balsa in the wing, and cover it with Coro. I'm thinking balsa doublers on the spars, rounded off at the top; with the spars 1" wide instead of 1-1/2".

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187

Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
thuebner
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13

Seeing as how your coro is too thick, maybe warming it slightly along the length of the spar with a heat gun will allow the coro to curve rather than buckle.

Travis
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

I've flown spads with creased wings before, post a picture, maybe it will be ok.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20

You can also use two spars about an inch apart (put little spacers between them to make it solid, kind of like a ladder. Not many though--2-3 should do it) to allow the coro to "bridge" over the gap.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

I realize this is your first SPAD and therefore do not want to much hassle, but if you can find yourself some 2mm coro you will be much better off. I have yet to see a 4mm wing fly well. Not that it can't be done. I've just never seen it done. At any rate post some pics so we can see what's going on.

Chris! Ben! Where have you guys been?

George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Thankyou everyone for taking an interest in this post. The photo was taken on short order, but, I believe it shows the problem.

As you can see, the buckling takes place at the spar relief. I believe the spar is too thick, and a thinner spar will make the difference. Also, as another has been kind enough to suggest, I might add another spar to relieve the close quarter pressure. I might round off the the leading spar in order to relieve the sharp edge.

Buying 2mm Coro is pretty well out, as the local hardware dosen't handle that.

If using the 4mm Coro suggest a weight problem, I'm not knowlegeable. But this is my first SPAD. Hoping it will fly with a .25..

MAAC 51187
Old 12-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
truman
RCC Contributor

I am: Robert S

I wouldn't worry about the extra 4mm you are hooked now! I would locate some 2mm I have a dogfighter I built and it has 4mm on the bottom and 2mm on the top. Looking at your picture I have seen them fly like that.

Rob
truman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hi Guy,

The 4mm coro is heavier, and the 2mm might flex more to get over your spar on that short chord. That being said, I have .40-sized birds that call for 2mm; and I've used 4mm with good results (but hot landings!). I'll also echo the comments that I've seen planes fly with the coro buckled over the spar like you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-manz35 View Post

Chris! Ben! Where have you guys been?

George
Where to start?? New baby, new job, buying a new house, new hobbies, etc. etc. etc.!

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in