Suppliers - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #1
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
Suppliers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I went to Calgary yesterday to purchase some electronic parts. I had 3 pages and was there at 1130 and left at 2. I was so frustrated after only finding 1/2 the items that I put everything back on the shelf and just purchased a bottle of etching fluid and a copper clad pc board. The frustration to me was that the pt. numbers where not in order or even close on the shelves and nobody offered to help.
I also mentioned that over a week ago I had pm'd them about some chips after a sales person told me in the store to cross them to NTE. I did not receive a reply and the guy now tells me that he needs the regular part numbers. To me they could have at least returned my pm and let me know.
I pm'd the head office to let them know they have lost a customer and that I was not very happy. I had a friend with me also and when I started putting the stuff back his comment was that we should have started 30 min. after we where in there.
My question is where do some of you purchase components for projects? I would now prefer to do it by electronic mail as I won't have to leave my chair.
John

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:07 AM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
John, I don't know who you were dealing with in Calgary, but I use Electrosonic here in the GTA. They also have a store in Calgary, as well as being on-line. http://www.e-sonic.com/acc/home.aspx

I order over the phone and pay with my credit card, and found that works better than presenting myself at the parts counter. I have never used the online ordering system, but it looks fairly comprehensive.

If you get stuck for a particuular thing, give us all a shout here, who knows we may have it in one of our basements!

Dave

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
GoodDad
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Normand
Radio of choice:
Futaba

By internet at ca.digikey.com , you can ask for the catalog, it is free.
GoodDad is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:13 PM   #4
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

I had to go back to the city again today. This time I did not get a bunch of needles in my shoulder. On the way home I stopped in another store (BE Electronics) to have a look. This was at 4.10 and they close at 4.30 so I did not think I would get anything. I found the resistor rack and had all the ones I needed but a gentlemen (older) came over and saw my sheets. To make it short he photocopied them and now I go back up next week and pick it all up as he has to order a couple of items. A little different service on this one. "Great"
I pm,d the other company which has the head office in Toronto and there reply was that it must have been a part time employee. If I want I could pm the order and they would ship it to me. To late and not going back.
John
Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 AM   #5
KevinM
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Kevin M

I'll throw in a second plug for Digikey- There have been many times that I've put in an order one afternoon, and had the stuff show up the following morning!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:27 AM   #6
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Total Props: 59
Vulcan,

Once you mentioned Toronto Office I think I know what company you are talking about. Since you did not mention any names I will not either but in Calgary is the store in a small Industrial Park accross the road from PMJ Hobby Centre on I believe 32nd Avenue N.E., up by the airport?

Another good source for mail order and they have Canadian Office, where I am not sure digikey does, is http://canada.newark.com/ .

I find them better then Electrosonic, they tend to stock more or can bring it up from their US warehouse faster then esonic can get from manufacture. Electrosonic used to be a real good company but theyare doing some manufacturing of electronic items now and that side of their business seam to get most of their attention these days.

Either newark or digikey would be better.

I think I have been to BEE. Are they also just of 32nd Ave. N.E just east of the Macleod Trail up by the airport? I live in Mississauga but I spent close to 2.5 years on and off working on a project at the Calgary Airport so i know that end of town and the elctronic suppliers pretty well, i just can remember street names!

BTW What ya building anyways that you need 3 sheets of parts for? Are you building your own control unit for your Turbine?
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #7
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Jim,
Your right on both counts. I just find there service is lousy and I let there head office no my complaint. The other place I went to for the parts was very cooperative and except for one diode(next day) I would have got everything. The diode I can understand as it is a 25amp and it requires 2, but they are one number apart. He had one but the other was coming in. Anyways I am going to get a catalouge from digikey to take a look. The only problem is stuff from south of the border takes usually at least a week. Called rural living I guess.
The component I am building is the EDM. It is usually mentioned as spark erosion and I have the head and other parts near done. I have pictures of it on the KJ forum here. I want eventually to be able to do ngv's and other parts. It is supposed to be accurate down to .001" using a carbon electrode although I have now heard brass works very good also.
I was thinking about the ECU but there are some guys on the GTBA forum that are playing around with basic stamps. I might later go that route as I would like to be able to have a bench setup for testing without the electronics from the aircraft. Trying to find a digital tach schematic for up to 150k is going to be the problem. With an independant setup you isolate any problems with the electronics as it will be a separate system.
Will post some more when I get farther along.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in