electronic ignition optical kill switches - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Re: electronic ignition optical kill switches

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Andrew, thank you for taking the time to do this research for us. I know I for one understand these devices much better. I believe it was you who said "Educate, not Legislate!" or something to that effect.

It seems, to me, that the biggest noise against any of these type of devices comes from those who know little about them. Education doesn't necessarily mean total acceptance of them, but it dose mean one can make an informed decision.

When I hear someone say, "It's only adding complications to things, something else that can fail!", it really grates on me! What if everyone took that view, of progress, like say, an automobile. Things like ABS brakes, airbags, cruse control, automatic transmissions, power windows - locks - seats, computer control systems, emission control systems etc etc simply would be non existent today. Lets just keep things simple and bring progress to a halt.

Are these things just unnecessarily adding complications or just something else that can fail? I really don't think so!

Anyway, I think you've taken a good step here Andrew. Our discussion now hopefully will help folks gain a little insight & help us to think things through instead of simply dismissing it! Anything that advances safety whether we like it or not, is a good thing, even if sometimes it might come to making it a rule or having it legislated! ( Look how many people revolted against seat belts, but they've proven to save lives.)

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 03-11-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
goneflyin
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Don M

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
So that thing runs your engine's ignition from the flight battery - and also functions as the kill.

One less battery to charge as well. I would like to see some testing and feedback of this unit...

AJC
Hey guys,

I'm using a Zeus on my ol Boomerang with the Moki 150. It's working perfectly. Love this Moki!!!!

See first flight with Zeus and Moki engine transplant... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fMztmo_53k

I put the plane on a weight diet when I changed over to the Moki. This outfit replaces the original ignition battery, and mechanical switch. The whole airplane is running on a 5200mah Li-Ion pack with 6v reg.

The Zeus is powered by the Li-Ion pack unregulated, and then it regulates the voltage to the ignition, and is adjustable from 4.8- 8 volts.

I have the reciever switch easily accessible by pilot and helper in the case of a problem, throwing this single switch now will kill the reciever as well as ignition/engine.

On the plane's instrument panel is mounted the ignition LED, which is kinda cool.

Call Jeff @ ThunderBolt R/C.

Don
goneflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
dougl
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: dougl
Radio of choice:
mp 8000....JR x9303
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

gary;

good one..veh examples.
1/2 you dont need..
1/2 need by law...
1/4 dont work..ie steering on chevs.
brakes and ign on toyota dont work..cant turn key off in runaway.

to be real safe at fields we need sign banning those autos...our required fences at flight line wont hold them back..

question;
ever had to wait for freq pin to fly....yep

ever had to wait to fly because after flight planes could not be shut off by pilots and had to wait to run out of gas???????????

haaaaaaaaaa
you gotto see the humor.
JPO 2378
dougl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-24
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1

Good topic.

Here's another manufacturer to consider: http://www.tech-aero.net/

I have a not-used-yet iBEC from them, That I got from Todd Syssa (Syssa Aircraft Performance) The iBEC isn't on either web site (as of today), but it is available from either source.

Plugs into the Rx, uses the Rx battery for power. Only one switch in the plane to power up the Rx. Assign a Tx switch the channel (Rx output port) to kill the ignition.

It's not opto-isolated, but it's filtererd, which amounts to the same thing as far as I'm concerned.
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in