Beefng up LG blocks in a foam wing (Sig Kougar) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
Beefng up LG blocks in a foam wing (Sig Kougar)

I've got a Kougar that's in the final stages of being completed. What's slowed me down is that I think the blocks aren't solidly glued into the foam -- it feels as if there's a bit of a wiggle to the blocks when I put a fore-aft rattle to the landing gear when I've just put it into the blocks.

Could be just my imagination but the cutting out of the foam for the blocks was not perfect (gaps behind the blocks so I'd laddled in epoxy when putting them in place.)

I'm thinking that the best approach right now would be to add 1/8 liteply supports running at right angles to the blocks about an inch or so from each end that will pass completely through the wing and have a cut-out in each that will allow the support to go all the way through the other wing surface.

Cutting out the supports for liteply will be easy -- cut the slot extra deep so that it passes past the block as well as the wing surface when inserted from behind the blocks.

The hard part is going to be cutting the slot to take the liteply itself.

Anyone ever done this or should I even thing about doing it?
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Total Props: 0
Re: Beefng up LG blocks in a foam wing (Sig Kougar)

You could just add ply to the surface of the wing. I.E. cover over the LG block with ply that overlaps it and there by spreading the load over the wing surface. If you feel energetic you could relieve the ply into the surface so it was flush and allow the LG block to be encircled by the ply donut. Glue it all with expanding gorilla glue.
Rob.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Thumbs up Re: Beefng up LG blocks in a foam wing (Sig Kougar)

hey byro.. i have built (and worn out) three Kougars, all of which were built as the plans directed and never had any problems with the gear. our field isn't the smoothest so they were put to the test. i had one gear rip out of my king kobra(pretty much the same plane, but .60 size). to give me peace of mind on the latest one(see the build thread in the fixed wing section) i put two of the anchor blocks on each gear block with tons of epoxy and don't anticipate any problems... cheers, john
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

Total Props: 57
Re: Beefng up LG blocks in a foam wing (Sig Kougar)

One suggestion made on another site was to drill holes in the LG blocks and to put dowels in with Gorilla Glue. I gave it a shot tonight using bamboo skewers. Did three vertical holes, squirted in the old GG, pushed in a one-inch to one-and-half-inch section of bamboo, and tamped the sections down into the hole.

Hopefully the glue expansion will lock the whole stack into position.

Next step will be to put in anoher 3 sections but drilling at a 45-degree angle.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in