General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
sparkysrc
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: r

Total Props: 0
AT6 & floats

I have an AT6 and I also have a set of Sea Commander floats. I'm thinking..... Why not! Any hint or suggestions that could ease my ever thinking, abstract mind would help. Thanx people.
sparkysrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
micman

Well "to each his own", to me putting floats on a classic like that would be like putting 33 inch mud tires from your truck onto a wickedly nice 1968 red Camaro
micman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
sparkysrc
RCC Junior Contributor

AT6 & floats

This is an " experienced " airplane and easily replaced. The mock up looks pretty cool. This plane I aquired with other stuff on a deal, and I have had these floats just sitting here.... You do the math.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
sparkysrc
RCC Junior Contributor

AT6 & floats

Greetings again. I might add that my AT6 looks like the FIRST 10 minutes of overhaulin' rather than the last 10 minutes.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13
qs long as you get the floats set up properly, why not? I've seen some pretty improbably float planes like an extra 300, Chipmunk, GeeBee, etc...
Old 11-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
micman

I ment no disrespect it is just that an AT-6 is such a classic, I should probably be more open to change. If you look at the old planes that use to race the scnyder cup. Your 6 could look like that and that would be cool. When it is done post some pic's
micman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Frequentcrasher
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff M

Floats

Hey Sparky,
This sounds like an awesome idea! Floats can go on anything you want. Forget tradition, it's all good. I have been float flying a lot over the last couple of years, since I leave a float plane at the cabin and just go down to my beach to fly when the kids nap. Points to ponder: Line the step of the float up about a 1/2" behind the CG. Build in 2 degrees of positive when comparing the wing to the top of the floats. I've found this to be pretty important. Make sure you have strong, reinforced (glassed if you can get in there) attachment points. You'll need a water rudder on at least one of the floats. Ernst sells a good one. You can hook it up directly to the rudder servo, or a curved pushrod from the rudder control horn. You can also be creative and use a mini pulley system using fishing leader (coated steel cable) running along the fuse, down the attachment struts and down the float to the water rudder just like pull-pull. Water proof everything as best you can. Put your electronics in plastic bags and wrap electrical tape around the leads. Same for the battery. I have a receiver on its way to Airtronics for service right now cause I got cocky this summer and didn't waterproof it... You also should have a chase boat ready to go. Glad to hear the plane is expendable. I've been through three float planes just because of the rigors of float flying. It's tough on planes, engines, props and covering. One more tip is to attach the engine to the fuse. I use a picture hanging cable crimped and soldered to two car electrical leads. One end is bolted under a back plate screw on the engine and the other end runs through the firewall, past the tank and is screwed to the servo rail. This way the engine stays attatched to the floaty bits in the case of a boo boo.
Lessons I've learned:
1.) Water is really, really hard
2.) People love to see float planes
3.) Water is really, really hard
Please post some pictures of your project. I have a defunct P-39 and a spare set of floats and you've really got me thinkin'!!!
Have fun!
Jeff
Old 11-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

33 inch mudders on a 68 Camaro would be cool too!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13
probably go better in the snow too!!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #10
sparkysrc
RCC Junior Contributor

AT6 & floats

No offense taken. Opinions are what this forum is all about, and everybody has, and are entitled, to their own. Sometimes critisism stops people from making mistakes.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in