Thank you lord... and Hobbico for a great idiot proof design - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
slowflyer

Total Props: 0
Thank you lord... and Hobbico for a great idiot proof design

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all

I got something exciting (or scarry) to share with you. I've always been interested in flying rc planes, (I'm a full scale glider fanatic with 65 hours) but somehow never got around it. Last year I found a video of some rc plane on the net and I right away knew that I had to get one. So I looked around on the net and after thinking it over I decided to get a Nexstar from Hobbico for two reasons. It's ready to fly out of the box, plus it seemed like a good trainer design. I was thinking about an ARF version from the same company, but I really barely knew how they really work, and I don't really have much time for building so I thought this would be a good choice to figure out the basics of electrics and engines and designs.
I spent a LOT of time on the simulator that was provided and also bought a SLO V from Parkzone to get a hold of it. Well by the time I learned to fly the slo v, I had to replace pretty much everything on it cause it got beaten badly everytime I tried to fly it. Than I got a Decathlon from parkzone also. I crashed that a few time two, but after a few attempts, I was able to fly it and land it safely. So this february I joined a club in southern Ontario and got MAAC coverage. I went out a few times but only got a few minutes of buddy box time. But this weekend. I went out very early, and wanted to see how my landing gear was behaving after some minor repairs on the firewall. So I put the wings on, fueled her up, (stupidly put the wings on) and started it. Played with the needle a bit, and rolled out. I wanted to see how it will turn on the grass, so I advanced the throttle a bit and ups, in a few metres it lifted its landing gears from the ground and I was at the end of the runway. Wasn't more than 1/3 throttle. I knew I wasn't gonna be able to land it before the fence, so I just advanced to full throttle and added some elevator. WOW it was airborne. For a second I wished that it's only a dream, but it wasn't. My hand were shaking so bad that I nearly dropped the radio. My pulse must have been 180, my mouth got so dry, and I just wanted to yell at someone to help but it was 6:00 am.... So I tried to do everything like I do in the simulator and with my electric, but it was VERY different than a simulator, (much much faster and more stick input sensitive) or a parkflyer. The speed felt unreal. So I when I thought I was high enough, I applied a bit of right aileron and and elevator and pulled the throttle back to 50%. It climbed out so smoothly that I could not believe my eyes. So I've done my first circle around the field and then an other to get it lower a bit... I knew it was gonna come down eventually, but I wanted have a plane in one piece. I was just praying "please lord help me now, I will never be this stupid again". So as I brought lower I pulled throttle to idle, and guess what. I didn't seem to want to come down. It glided really nice.
It took an other circle to get low enough for landing. As a glider pilot, I was afffraid to drop the nose too much, cause at that second, speed was my worst fear. It flew really stable at slow speeds. When I got close to the runway, I cut the fuel. and landed it so smoothly that I've never thought was possible. I was the happiest person on earth. My pulse got back to normal as well. I repeated it 4 more time in a row, without any incidents. If you are a rookie GET AN INSTRUCTOR. The reason why I have a plane today in one piece is because its a very very good design and I flew my electrics a lot. They are much slower though and act a bit different with rudder and elevator only, but the feeling is similar.

Thank you hobbico.
Sorry for the long story...
slowflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
nice it was a happy ending. but for anyone else, don't fly without maac coverage (never know who/what you might hit).

and good on you for joining a club (better late than never). I won't go into the things that were done wrong. Sure you know them by now.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Flyin High
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bob S

Lucky!

Old 05-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
slowflyer

maac

as I pointed out I have maac
slowflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Re: maac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyer
as I pointed out I have maac
You Pointed out more then just that

Next time be with your INSTRUCTOR

We as responsible MAAC members cannot affoard another inciddent

Randy
Old 05-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
If your club has any problem with even potential noise complaints the one sure way to get in trouble is to run engines and fly very early in the morning,when air is still and sound carries.
My club has a 9:00 am not before rule,and you can get kicked out my club for breaking that rule since it threatens loss of the field and flying for all the members.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
green@3D
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian R

Hey guys, settle down.
Here is a proud pilot willing to share the tale of his first solo flight. Why hack him down? He stated he spent the time on the sim, spent time with foamys, bought a good stable trainer, and had been on the buddy box for some time. I am sure that after all that on a calm morning this paticular pilot can handle his aircraft just fine (as he proved) get down off your soapboxes and enjoy the story (I know I sure did)

Thanks for sharing your story, I think most of us can remember how nervous we were for our first solo flight!!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Hi Slowflyer,

I am sorry to say it but you are going to get a few harsh comments about what you did. As I read your story I felt two ways about it, I felt very happy for you that you had enjoyed a moment that was extremely rewarding for you and I also felt that you made some mistakes that perhaps you did not understand how serious the ramafications could have been for the others involved in your club. Listen to the points being made and take them to heart but do not let the harsh words upset you. This hobby is a great deal of fun and can be a life long pleasure. The joy you had will come almost as strongly as it did that day at several moments through your flying persuit. It can make you feel so good about yourself to be able to accomplish a goal that for some (perhaps yourself) seemed completely out of reach. The points of concern mentioned by the others that have posted in this thread are worthy of your thoughts and consideration, just don't let the message be lost in the delivery. They mean well, I think.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
SpaceCowboy
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
FAVOURITE - JR X9303
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Well said Noin
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
jamesbissonjr
RCC Master Contributor

I am: James B

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by green@3D
Hey guys, settle down.
Here is a proud pilot willing to share the tale of his first solo flight. Why hack him down? He stated he spent the time on the sim, spent time with foamys, bought a good stable trainer, and had been on the buddy box for some time. I am sure that after all that on a calm morning this paticular pilot can handle his aircraft just fine (as he proved) get down off your soapboxes and enjoy the story (I know I sure did)

Thanks for sharing your story, I think most of us can remember how nervous we were for our first solo flight!!
been on the buddy box for some time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyer
I went out a few times but only got a few minutes of buddy box time.
Quote:
Here is a proud pilot willing to share the tale of his first solo flight.
That's wonderful, but doing it at 6am and without proper instruction!

Quote:
I am sure that after all that on a calm morning this paticular pilot can handle his aircraft just fine (as he proved)
I believe he stated his hands were shaking so bad he almost dropped the transmitter and his intentions were not to get airborne at all.

I for one am happy that he is so enthusiastic about becoming a modeller but steps have to made before attempting to fly on your own. He stated himself that it was VERY different than a simulator. I myself learned on a sim 3 winters ago and I must have spent more than 50 hours on one before flying WITH an instructor the following summer. No it wasn't on a buddy box but it was with my father and brother on private land. My father did the take offs and landings for the first 3 flights until he saw how I was flying circuits. I also had to perform some rolls, the odd loop, figure 8 patterns as well to show that I had control of the aircraft and was familiar with all of them. Then I was to perform 3 approach runs before actually attempting my landing.

Slowflyer did a good job but from the reviews I've read, I believe the aircraft he chose had a lot to do with it. Please take the safe measures and have an instructor evaluate your pilot skills and pass you as a safe competent pilot before attempting it again.

Bisson Custom Mufflers
jamesbissonjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in