FIbreglassing a joint for strength - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
FIbreglassing a joint for strength

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm joint a wing tip section (about a foot long) to a center wing section (specifically, corsair wing--it builds in three sections).

I want to use some fibreglass to reinforce the leading/trailing edges of the two sections where they join for some added strength. I'm only talking about an inch square piece of 'glass in an L-shape (a corner that butts unto a rib/leading edge and rib/trailing edge).

1)I'm using .75oz fibreglass. should this be heavier duty or is it ok?
2)use what: epoxy?medium CA? fast/instant CA?

Thanks.
Len
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Hi Len,

In your situation i would sheet both outer wing joints starting from leading edge to trailling edges, this will give you some structure strength, then i would wrap whole wing joint sections with fiberglass cloth as you would do to reinforce wing center joint. .75 oz glassing should be ok for securing and strengthning wing joints, but it all depends on size of the plane too.

Personally speaking i wont just apply fiberglass only to leading and trailling edge!...but thats just me...

Cheers,
Sammy
Old 02-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Hi

It's hard to tell the length of the joint you are making but I would guess it to be at least a 60 size aircraft.

If that is the case I don't think that 3/4 oz cloth really adds enough strength on a larger plane.

I would use 1&1/2 or 2 oz. cloth with a close weave.

Ployester resin would likely be the strongest as it is quite hard and resists compression loads as well as tension loading but it is also heavy.

You could tack the cloth in place with CA so it doesn't move when you apply the resin or whatever you want to use on the fiberglass cloth.

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

Yes, it is a 60.

The area will be sheeted top and bottom regardless in that area. The l.e. and t.e. edge is just 1/4"x1/2"balsa stock. They are "z-shaped" joined together and I thought the question I asked was just to add some additional insurance to that particular area.

I guess what I'm forgetting is that that join is just one part of overall structural integrity and by itself is probably insignificant.

The area involved (that I was going to glass for additional strength) is probably only about 1 sq inch. Not enough to do anything in the overall scheme of things.

The sheeting (when applied) will do more for holding the whole wing area together than anything else. I guess my intentions were good but I'm probably just "over-building".

Thanks for the ideas. I probably won't bother.

Len
Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Hi

If the area is flat or almost flat just get a piece of carbon fiber sheet and glue it on.

cheers
Old 02-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
2thelmt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ID

Len,
If the plans don't call for it, then I wouldn't bother. Will add weight, and extra effort on your part. Your surface's will have to be sanded to get a good finish which will add more time to the build IMHO.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Hi guys

I just re-read the post

He is talking about a 1 inch square area.

If it isn't on the area to be painted or covered it shouldn't be a problem as it won't add enough weight to worry about.

Otherwise I agree with Len.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

Yes folks, it's not worth the effort. I've epoxied the right wing panel to the center wing section without adding that small piece of 'glass. The area in question is only about 1 sq in and I have concluded that to glass that joint

is overkill.

I'm not going to bother as the sheeting (when added) will provide more than enough strength to the entire area.

Thanks again though.

Len
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in