General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
jmilunsky
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jack M

Total Props: 0
Spektrum support

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I recently posted a note to this forum asking if anyone had any issues with a spectrum AR6200 receiver. I lost signal twice and crashed twice with a brand new Tx and Rx.

I got a lot of advice from the forums and dealers regarding the possibilities of problems and tried them all. In the end I found the problem. After repairing my second plane, i was re-installing all the receiver gear while it was powered on. As I pressed the satellite onto the velcro, the receiver's both reset/rebooted. I immediately tried it again and the same thing happened. So I have since deduced that it's either a crack in the pcb or a bad solder joint.

So here's the interesting part. I go to Pinnacle where I bought it. They (Ron) was un-belieavable. The service at Pinnacle hobby is simply exceptional! He immediately gave me a loaner and suggested I send the receiver back to Spektrum as he said they have been known to do something for their customers (he was quite prepared to send it in for me).

Well quite the contrary. Even though I didn't expect anything necessarily from Horizon/Spektrum, as they're covered by their legalize, I did think they'd do something, at least feel bad about the situation. I actually found the rep quite terse and rude at times.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience with Horizon. But man, I lost two planes with their faulty receiver, you'd think that they'd pony up something ... a box of elastics even. Oh well so much for customer service. Plus if I would have sent the receiver in straight away I may as well have blown the entire season as I was told there was a 3 - 4 week turn around.

I spent thousands of dollars with them for the radio, the plane etc. I know if it was my business I'd consider something for my customers. At least, they could have said, send it in and we'll see ... even if it was a lie.

Jack
jmilunsky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Re: Spektrum support

Since Futaba has effectivly taken themselves out of the 2.4 game by being at least a year behind, Spectrum knows it can do what ever it wants and still get as many customers as it needs. Whan you are the only real show in town, you don't give away free seats.
Rob.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4

A Year Behind

What makes u come up with that coment

Better to be behind testing stuff then throw junk out on the market ..in the long run it will all catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robonline View Post
Since Futaba has effectivly taken themselves out of the 2.4 game by being at least a year behind, Spectrum knows it can do what ever it wants and still get as many customers as it needs. Whan you are the only real show in town, you don't give away free seats.
Rob.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

Sorry you have had that experience with Horizon service, mine has always been quite the opposite.

Once I sent in a JR 8411 servo for repair. It was out of warranty and I was wiling to pay for the repair. They called me to tell me that they had received an empty padded envelop with my paperwork in it but no servo. They were replacing it with a new 8411, free of charge.

On another occasion, I sent in for repair a spectrum receiver that had been virtually destroyed in a crash. I hoped they would replace it at a "reduced cost" . They replaced it free!

You may have just caught somebody on a bad day.

Mike
Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
ByronF
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ByronF
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8 and DX6

Yep you must have caught somebody at Horizon on a bad day.
This past spring I sent in my old 783 for a lithium battery replacement, a rx with a clipped antenna wire and a wall charger with a charge lead pulled out (someone and I won't say who tripped over it one day and pulled the wire out).
I fully expected to pay for these repairs as they were either my fault or in the case of the battery after 9 years it was time. They fixed it all at no charge and sent it back and on the customs doc declared warranty repair so it cost me nothing at Can Post. Oh and they paid the postage back even!
Based on my experience and others I am really surprised and sorry to hear about your difficulties with them.
Byron
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

I've had one receiver, out of warranty, replaced free of charge by HH, you can't beat that!

Just fill-in the pdf service center form (found on the HH support website) and send in your receiver (complete) with a copy of your receipt. (ensure the customs declaration says WARRANTY RETURN). Shipping is only a few dollars as it will weight less than 500 grams.

One thing that is strange, and I tried this on my AR6200 ... is once the RX is linked to the TX, if I disconnect the satellite, it keeps running. If I short the satellite wire, the main keeps running... so what is it on your that could cause the main rx to shut down?

The receiver is covered by a 1 year warranty and as long as there is no sign of crash damage or abuse you will get another back in the mail 2-3 weeks after they receive yours.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
jmilunsky
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jack M

Perhaps I should just send it in and see what they do. I guess my issue is that I lost two planes and I'd like something more than just a replacement of the satellite receiver which is basically cheap. I realize that they legally can't be responsible for collateral damage but this is a blatant hardware failure on a brand spanking new rx.
jmilunsky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in